Mother-in-law rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 12:46 AM
RE: Mother-in-law rant
Quote: diet, some well researched herbs, yoga and meditation

That's why I was reluctant to accept that it's all shit. If naturopathy includes those things, it's not all shit. The things you mentioned are all methods that objectively increase mental and physical health.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
26-06-2015, 12:48 AM
One more reason to avoid marriage.
26-06-2015, 08:14 AM
(26-06-2015 12:24 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  There are genuine medical schools that are graduating real legit licensed naturopathic medical doctors who can do surgery and get real legit jobs in hospitals and then there are the BS mail order ones. It's not all crap.

I treat my depression and autoimmune disease with a combination of conventional treatment and "alternative" treatments like diet, some well researched herbs, yoga and meditation. The U.S. has a bureau devoted to doing studies on alternative treatments and quite a few of them have been proven to be effective. Quite a few are crap, too, though! My point is that there is a difference between unproven and disproven. It's not all junk science. My rheumatologist always tells me that I am doing far better than most of her other patients and that my long term prognosis is excellent because of everything I do.

I will admit that I am guilty of cramming health stuff down my son's throat. I don't want him to go through what I deal with! A lot of health issues can be prevented. He is appreciative that I am teaching my grandson how to make healthy choices. I know this because he has thanked me.

I don't know if your mother-in-law is legit or following the BS? Sounds like a great opportunity to teach your kids about the scientific method and research studies as they get older!

Surgery? I don't think so.

It's junk science.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-06-2015, 08:16 AM
(26-06-2015 12:46 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
Quote: diet, some well researched herbs, yoga and meditation

That's why I was reluctant to accept that it's all shit. If naturopathy includes those things, it's not all shit. The things you mentioned are all methods that objectively increase mental and physical health.

Those things are independent of naturopathy. Naturopathy itself is bullshit.

26-06-2015, 11:09 AM
(26-06-2015 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 12:24 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  There are genuine medical schools that are graduating real legit licensed naturopathic medical doctors who can do surgery and get real legit jobs in hospitals and then there are the BS mail order ones. It's not all crap.

I treat my depression and autoimmune disease with a combination of conventional treatment and "alternative" treatments like diet, some well researched herbs, yoga and meditation. The U.S. has a bureau devoted to doing studies on alternative treatments and quite a few of them have been proven to be effective. Quite a few are crap, too, though! My point is that there is a difference between unproven and disproven. It's not all junk science. My rheumatologist always tells me that I am doing far better than most of her other patients and that my long term prognosis is excellent because of everything I do.

I will admit that I am guilty of cramming health stuff down my son's throat. I don't want him to go through what I deal with! A lot of health issues can be prevented. He is appreciative that I am teaching my grandson how to make healthy choices. I know this because he has thanked me.

I don't know if your mother-in-law is legit or following the BS? Sounds like a great opportunity to teach your kids about the scientific method and research studies as they get older!

Surgery? I don't think so.

It's junk science.

Like I said, some get mail order degrees and those are junk but if someone is going to a college like Bastyr or NUHS in Illinois, that is a four year graduate level program which incorporates clinicals and residency. It is an actual medical school and graduates are physicians who can diagnose, write prescriptions and perform minor surgeries. They invest eight years in their education just like traditional doctors. (My apologies for adding the word minor. I did more research just now and got clarification.)

I used to think it was all junk science too. These days my policy is to research everything. My assumptions cause me more problems!

I have learned that stress is a risk factor for many diseases because of hormones and other chemicals our bodies produce. In other words, the mind body holistic connection has been validated by science.

I also learned that there is a large body of research showing that yoga and meditation does amazing things for your health. Improvements in brain health from both practices have been documented with brain scans. Yes, meditation causes physical changes to the brain. More scientific validation of the mind body connection.

I continue to see quite a bit of research proving that some (not all) of the naturopathic principles are true. And the FDA continues to yank previously approved medications as new science demonstrates that the old science was junk.

I read the other day that scientists have just discovered lymph vessels in the brain. Way back in 2014 it was believed that the lymph system didn't extend to the brain. This is a major game changer for the treatment of neurological disorders and it means that every anatomy textbook in print is wrong. Even in 2015 the scientific community still doesn't know way more than it knows.

Unproven does not mean disproven.

I really am trying to help here. It sounds like you're concerned that your kids are being taught false things about health. All I'm trying to convey is that they are. Isn't it great? We get to witness the scientific method in action. I love science. Smile
26-06-2015, 12:24 PM
(26-06-2015 11:09 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  Surgery? I don't think so.

It's junk science.

Like I said, some get mail order degrees and those are junk but if someone is going to a college like Bastyr or NUHS in Illinois, that is a four year graduate level program which incorporates clinicals and residency. It is an actual medical school and graduates are physicians who can diagnose, write prescriptions and perform minor surgeries. They invest eight years in their education just like traditional doctors. (My apologies for adding the word minor. I did more research just now and got clarification.)

I used to think it was all junk science too. These days my policy is to research everything. My assumptions cause me more problems!

I have learned that stress is a risk factor for many diseases because of hormones and other chemicals our bodies produce. In other words, the mind body holistic connection has been validated by science.

I also learned that there is a large body of research showing that yoga and meditation does amazing things for your health. Improvements in brain health from both practices have been documented with brain scans. Yes, meditation causes physical changes to the brain. More scientific validation of the mind body connection.

I continue to see quite a bit of research proving that some (not all) of the naturopathic principles are true. And the FDA continues to yank previously approved medications as new science demonstrates that the old science was junk.

I read the other day that scientists have just discovered lymph vessels in the brain. Way back in 2014 it was believed that the lymph system didn't extend to the brain. This is a major game changer for the treatment of neurological disorders and it means that every anatomy textbook in print is wrong. Even in 2015 the scientific community still doesn't know way more than it knows.

Unproven does not mean disproven.

I really am trying to help here. It sounds like you're concerned that your kids are being taught false things about health. All I'm trying to convey is that they are. Isn't it great? We get to witness the scientific method in action. I love science. Smile

Naturopathy is a hodge-podge of mostly unscientific treatment modalities based on vitalism and other prescientific notions of disease.

So they have adopted modalities that actually work? Great - but they don't work because of vitalism.

It's woo.