Mother plays surrogate to sons child with donated egg.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Mother plays surrogate to sons child with donated egg.
Thoughts? I wonder if she'll breastfeed?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-baby.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2015, 10:35 PM
RE: Mother plays surrogate to sons child with donated egg.
I don't see what the problem is since it's a donated egg and not the mother's.
If it were her egg, then there's the danger of genetic defects.
Essentially inbreeding without the incest.
I'm not a doctor or biologist, so maybe there are health risks for the child I'm unaware of.
If it's merely a case of people's sensitive religious morality getting bruised, tough shit.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
08-03-2015, 10:40 PM
(08-03-2015 10:12 PM)DuffMan Wrote:  Thoughts? I wonder if she'll breastfeed?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-baby.html

I have no problem with it. It was a donor egg and her son's sperm. She just carried the baby. Even breast feeding. You understand while she's genetically connected to her son, and has genetic connections to any grandchild he'd have that came from his sperm anyway. How the baby arrives in the world doesn't matter.

I see nothing wrong with any of it.

I can't believe the article claims this has divided Britain. But then again, it is the daily mail.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-03-2015, 10:43 PM
(08-03-2015 10:35 PM)pablo Wrote:  I don't see what the problem is since it's a donated egg and not the mother's.
If it were her egg, then there's the danger of genetic defects.
Essentially inbreeding without the incest.
I'm not a doctor or biologist, so maybe there are health risks for the child I'm unaware of.
If it's merely a case of people's sensitive religious morality getting bruised, tough shit.

I think it's a little weird, granted normal is a line we draw between many extremes........ but this disturbs me. A grandmother is giving birth to her grandson, her sons child.

Sure she is only the surrogate mother, and my mother is only my biological mother. She is going to have a hands on approach, she is going to be his mother in every respect that matters. And also his grandmother?

I know some people that have been raised by their grandparents, but this seems different and wrong. I need a period of adjustment, don't worry I'll be fine lol
08-03-2015, 10:49 PM
(08-03-2015 10:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have no problem with it. It was a donor egg and her son's sperm. She just carried the baby. Even breast feeding. You understand while she's genetically connected to her son, and has genetic connections to any grandchild he'd have that came from his sperm anyway. How the baby arrives in the world doesn't matter.

I can't believe the article claims this has divided Britain. But then again, it is the daily mail.

Yeah, Britain is is turmoil. Although I can imagine theists throwing about a lot of their political clout on the issue, so maybe saying it caused division isn't so much of an overstatement.

Although your answer helps me understand a little better, doesn't sound so strange any-more.......... but does that make his grandmother his mother, and thereby his father his brother........ I'm getting confused again.
08-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Quote:I know some people that have been raised by their grandparents, but this seems different and wrong. I need a period of adjustment, don't worry I'll be fine lol

Why? Their decision has in no way directly effected you.
Personally, I think someone willing to go through the trouble and possible ridicule to have a child, will most likely be a good parent.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
08-03-2015, 10:56 PM
(08-03-2015 10:49 PM)DuffMan Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 10:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have no problem with it. It was a donor egg and her son's sperm. She just carried the baby. Even breast feeding. You understand while she's genetically connected to her son, and has genetic connections to any grandchild he'd have that came from his sperm anyway. How the baby arrives in the world doesn't matter.

Yeah, Britain is is turmoil. Although I can imagine theists throwing about a lot of their political clout on the issue, so maybe saying it caused division isn't so much of an overstatement.

Although your answer helps me understand a little better, doesn't sound so strange any-more.......... but does that make his grandmother his mother, and thereby his father his brother........ I'm getting confused again.

The donor egg came from another woman. It was fertilized with sperm from the son.

The fertilized egg are transferred to the grandma who carries the baby until term.

She's not the baby's mother. She's the grandmother. Genetically she's not the mother. She's still genetically only the grandma.

The father, is only a dad.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-03-2015, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 11:09 PM by pablo.)
I
Quote:but does that make his grandmother his mother, and thereby his father his brother........ I'm getting confused again.

The childs biological mother is the donated egg.
The grandmother gave birth so the way it was initially written out (probably by law) is she was listed as the mother.
According to the article, they had this legally changed.
The birth certificate lists the father as the sperm donor, and the mother as unknown. The grandmother is listed nowhere as a parent.
08-03-2015, 11:12 PM
(08-03-2015 10:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  
Quote:I know some people that have been raised by their grandparents, but this seems different and wrong. I need a period of adjustment, don't worry I'll be fine lol

Why? Their decision has in no way directly effected you.
Personally, I think someone willing to go through the trouble and possible ridicule to have a child, will most likely be a good parent.

I was over exaggerating for jokes, guess it wasn't funny. 'sigh' Oh woe is me and such.
And not necessarily, people have children out of a selfish primal urge to pass on their genes, if not an accident of lust.
It says nothing about parenting skills.

If anything this urge to pass on his genes is a negative against him in my book, and shows a lack of objective rationality. There are plenty of children that need adopting, and his genetics don't matter in the grand scheme of things.
Unless he is this self aware and thinks his specific genetics are super important, a narcissistic megalomaniac hell bent on building a race of superhuman homosexuals from his genetic code.......... what have we done!?
08-03-2015, 11:14 PM
(08-03-2015 11:12 PM)DuffMan Wrote:  Unless he is this self aware and thinks his specific genetics are super important, a narcissistic megalomaniac hell bent on building a race of superhuman homosexuals from his genetic code.......... what have we done!?

This is another unfunny joke right? Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post