Mother's Rampage; episode 5

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2011, 07:00 AM

RE: Mother's Rampage; episode 5
I think I read somewhere in The Moral Landscape from Sam Harris about "don't f*ck with your mom" LOL

Best of luck to you, you'll be out before you know it...
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2011, 07:10 AM
(31-01-2011 08:00 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Well I got my high school art and design diploma (GCSE) is that counts as my field of expertise? xD

Why not go to University and study art? It will open up many opportunities where you can use your talents and it will get you out of your mum's house.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately I also got kicked out of art college after high school xD

I have thought of trying an internet based job. I have a web design program that cost me like £60, but it only does simple HTML really.

Still I appreciate the advice but there is a lot of walls up in my life preventing me from doing anything I want to do, and wire fences closing me off from simple things that would get me some money, but I working on those so don't you worry ;P
Thanks anyways though xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
If you think something else is in the way , do what you feel is important , and the best of luck to you.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
02-02-2011, 03:33 AM
(01-02-2011 05:08 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Unfortunately I also got kicked out of art college after high school xD

I have thought of trying an internet based job. I have a web design program that cost me like £60, but it only does simple HTML really.

Still I appreciate the advice but there is a lot of walls up in my life preventing me from doing anything I want to do, and wire fences closing me off from simple things that would get me some money, but I working on those so don't you worry ;P
Thanks anyways though xD

I don't have any connections personally but over the years I have noticed that those that have some sort of design prowess seem to get freelance work regularly. A few of the sites I have gone to are always asking for somebody to do some cheap work. I would check out a few forums that focus on graphic design and see what you can find. Might only give you a few bucks sent to a paypal account but its better than nothing.
BTW, good luck with your situation. I was lucky enough to have a very supportive family so I cannot offer any advice based on experience....but I can say keep your head up. Being the new guy I have not gotten to know many of the users here but you seem to have a good group of people on your side.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2011, 06:52 AM
(01-02-2011 05:08 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Unfortunately I also got kicked out of art college after high school xD

I assume you were not banned, though. You could probably try to go back if that's what you wanted to do.

The best part about a bad situation is it gives you the perfect opportunity to make a change.

02-02-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm interested in this web based design stuff with the paypal payments now. O-O

I know where to buy a book that gives you gallery ideas and website links, tips, layouts that impress stuff, ect ect, for like £4 (PC World xD) So I'ma get that soon as possible.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
A little advice, if I may:

doing these types of freelance jobs is a good side business but you will never, ever make a real living at it. Maybe if you bring something special on the artistic side you can but web designers are a dime an dozen (at least in the states) and most of them live with their parents. I've a friend who had his own web design company for 2 years and was supporting a wife and 4 kids on it. He worked - no joke - about 90 to 100 hours a week just to keep from going bankrupt. There was always some kid out of college willing to do it cheaper and he had to take every dinky job he could just to survive. He ended up relocating his family twice to find income and finally took a "real" job where he does not have the same creative control but he has a steady paycheck.

If you have real talent - and you obviously do based on what you posted - you can certainly make money with it, but you're best bet is to get some training and find a job where you can learn to both improve your skills and learn about the business end of things. You also want some cover so you're not the only one looking for clients.

Freelance is a good start, but you need to think long term. Your goal is not just to get out of your mom's house, it's to be able to support yourself long term. Think long term goals here.

02-02-2011, 08:38 PM
(02-02-2011 07:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  Freelance is a good start, but you need to think long term. Your goal is not just to get out of your mom's house, it's to be able to support yourself long term. Think long term goals here.

Good points. I think education (on paper!) is key here. If you don't have some sort of education that you can put on a resume, employers aren't even going to consider you, no matter how talented you are.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
02-02-2011, 11:04 PM
My main problem is being education incompatible xD

I failed all my chances to get free qualifications and even if I could pay for education I just end up kicked out. But hey, that's why I joined the army xD Shame about my knee.

Still, like I said, I really appreciate the advice.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.