Motives for delusional beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 10:57 PM
RE: Motives for delusional beliefs
(21-03-2014 10:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  My thoughts are that they want to think that they have some hidden knowledge or understanding that other people do not have so they can feel superior.

Agree with this too. When asked to provide peer reviewed evidence to support their assertions, the back pedaling begins.

If someone wants to believe unicorns exist, fine. Just don't swindle people out of money by getting them to jump on the bandwagon.

That's what bugs me. The slimy snake oil salesman-like antics that are used by those who push pseudo-science.

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2014, 08:16 AM
(21-03-2014 08:27 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 10:37 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Sadly, no. He tends to look for ways to discredit any sources I bring up, so long as he can find one fringe expert to back his claims.

We've discussed water fluoridation two times. Both times, I pointed out the holes in the articles he posted and showed him contradictory studies or evidence. Both times, it's ended with him saying something to the effect of "Well, it's still questionable, and they should look into it further before forcing it on us".

This is the strange thing... That's quite a typical response. The only conclusion I can draw from this kind of thing is that they either want it to be true, or they enjoy the fantasy...

Which I can fully grasp for something like UFO theories... Its an exciting prospect, one that a lot of people want to be true. But then there are those sinister conspiracy theories about "depopulation agendas" and "manufactured pandemics", which are the sort of thing that can keep you awake at night.... I don't understand why someone would want to believe in that sort of thing, let alone want it to be true.

For him, it gives him someone to blame. The crooked government and/or big pharma is causing all these problems. And there might be some truth to it. There usually is some truth to these conspiracy theories; it's just that it tends to lead to stuff like poor dental health or the increased spread of diseases in children.
22-03-2014, 08:58 AM
(22-03-2014 08:16 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 08:27 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  This is the strange thing... That's quite a typical response. The only conclusion I can draw from this kind of thing is that they either want it to be true, or they enjoy the fantasy...

Which I can fully grasp for something like UFO theories... Its an exciting prospect, one that a lot of people want to be true. But then there are those sinister conspiracy theories about "depopulation agendas" and "manufactured pandemics", which are the sort of thing that can keep you awake at night.... I don't understand why someone would want to believe in that sort of thing, let alone want it to be true.

For him, it gives him someone to blame. The crooked government and/or big pharma is causing all these problems. And there might be some truth to it. There usually is some truth to these conspiracy theories; it's just that it tends to lead to stuff like poor dental health or the increased spread of diseases in children.

I suppose it appeals to moral dualism, that there's a clear cut division of good and evil in the world... When in fact its much more complicated than that.

But I still don't see why an organization like the Flat Earth Society gets every bit as defensive and even angry when their ideas are challenged. Its just a factual question, there's nothing existential, or moral about it. I'd imagine flat earthers are probably geocentrists too... Which implies that they want to feel as if we're special, and that the universe was made for us, implying a creator.

So it could be that flat-earthers are just another kind of creationist.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
22-03-2014, 12:33 PM
(21-03-2014 10:57 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 10:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  My thoughts are that they want to think that they have some hidden knowledge or understanding that other people do not have so they can feel superior.

Agree with this too. When asked to provide peer reviewed evidence to support their assertions, the back pedaling begins.

If someone wants to believe unicorns exist, fine. Just don't swindle people out of money by getting them to jump on the bandwagon.

That's what bugs me. The slimy snake oil salesman-like antics that are used by those who push pseudo-science.

I did just look up the discussion forum in the flat Earth Society - and I'm speechless. Gasp Consider Blink Shocking

I think it does have to do with feeling superior that one has hidden information.
I can relate to this in my religious days when I was very much into Kabbalah and "hidden knowledge" found in mystical ways to interpret the biblical text. One walks around thinking how ignorant others are.

However this particular motive still affects me - now after studying philosophy, medicine, biology, chemistry, cosmology, psychology, critical thinking etc I have the same thoughts about how ignorant other are - I am only humbled when meeting others who put my knowledge to shame.
It is difficult to overcome this superiority complex or arrogance that can come from education.
My therapy is now trying to teach others the secrets of science with humility.

Anyway, I'm right - most people are ignorant.
...but I may be fallible and wrong too.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
22-03-2014, 01:53 PM
(22-03-2014 12:33 PM)Baruch Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 10:57 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Agree with this too. When asked to provide peer reviewed evidence to support their assertions, the back pedaling begins.

I did just look up the discussion forum in the flat Earth Society - and I'm speechless. Gasp Consider Blink Shocking

I think it does have to do with feeling superior that one has hidden information.
I can relate to this in my religious days when I was very much into Kabbalah and "hidden knowledge" found in mystical ways to interpret the biblical text. One walks around thinking how ignorant others are.

However this particular motive still affects me - now after studying philosophy, medicine, biology, chemistry, cosmology, psychology, critical thinking etc I have the same thoughts about how ignorant other are - I am only humbled when meeting others who put my knowledge to shame.
It is difficult to overcome this superiority complex or arrogance that can come from education.

At least the flat earthers are pretty much benign... They're not disrupting science lessons and blowing up factories that make globes.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
23-03-2014, 03:10 AM
(22-03-2014 01:53 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 12:33 PM)Baruch Wrote:  I did just look up the discussion forum in the flat Earth Society - and I'm speechless. Gasp Consider Blink Shocking

At least the flat earthers are pretty much benign... They're not disrupting science lessons and blowing up factories that make globes.

Your right..
They could be banning shipping or suicide bombing airfields and NASA for spreading the lies about a round Earth.,,,.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
23-03-2014, 09:39 AM
(23-03-2014 03:10 AM)Baruch Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 01:53 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  At least the flat earthers are pretty much benign... They're not disrupting science lessons and blowing up factories that make globes.

Your right..
They could be banning shipping or suicide bombing airfields and NASA for spreading the lies about a round Earth.,,,.

Well, you never know... They're still rather few in number at the moment.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]