Motives/goal for atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
22-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Motives/goal for atheism
What are the motives or goal of atheism/anti-theism?

In one of the 'Big Think' videos Neil DeGrasse Tyson raised an interesting point about atheist meetings and organizations, where people seem to just discuss how little they believe in God.

Is this a quest for rights and/or consciousness raising, a revolution in thinking or just non believers seeking support?

Things are changing in the world. Never before has atheism been in the public consciousness in the way it is now, the census numbers of "unaffiliated" is rising faster than any religion is growing and a number of very prominent scientists are confidently ruling out the need for a deity all together.

I personally class myself as an anti-theistic atheist... I oppose religion and consider faith to be a delusion. But I'm not sure the motive for groups like this is clear... I get angry at the problems religion causes, and the apologists who try to justify it's atrocities.

But I don't see how just being appalled, angry, or meeting up to discuss how religion is all bullshit is going to make and difference in the world.

Really my question is... it's clear that atheism is on the march and growing by the day, but does it have a well defined motive and direction in the same way as say feminism or the LGBT rights groups?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
22-08-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: Motives/goal for atheism
(22-08-2013 09:58 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Really my question is... it's clear that atheism is on the march and growing by the day, but does it have a well defined motive and direction in the same way as say feminism or the LGBT rights groups?

I don't think it would be right to say that "atheism" is doing anything... that would be like saying that "Christianity" has a well-defined motive or direction. Christianity, like atheism, is made up of too many disparate parts to have a singular goal. But one could ask about "the New Atheism movement"...

I think the New Atheism is much like feminism or LGBT rights groups in the way that popular atheists are trying to reduce the stigma of atheism and make it more acceptable to the general public. The more we talk about it and make it clear that we exist, the more that the public will get bored of us and realize that we're just like anyone else. There's only so many times that any of us have the patience for correcting stereotypes about atheists.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
22-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I think most atheist just want people to have the ability to use logic and reason instead of relying on ancient text as a moral compass. Besides that there really is no singular goal for atheism. We all have different goals and motives so there really can't be a singular goal.

Prog rock extraordinaire at your service
Find all posts by this user
22-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Getting atheists to agree on goals for atheism itself is like herding cats. The things I can see wide agreement on for areas of activism would be:
--vigilant defense of the separation of church and state
--defense of science education from influence of religious dogma
--ensure nondiscrimination for non-believers in employment, housing, and public services and accommodations
--protect atheists from forced enrollment in religious practices
22-08-2013, 10:29 PM
(22-08-2013 10:11 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 09:58 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Really my question is... it's clear that atheism is on the march and growing by the day, but does it have a well defined motive and direction in the same way as say feminism or the LGBT rights groups?

I don't think it would be right to say that "atheism" is doing anything... that would be like saying that "Christianity" has a well-defined motive or direction. Christianity, like atheism, is made up of too many disparate parts to have a singular goal. But one could ask about "the New Atheism movement"...

I think the New Atheism is much like feminism or LGBT rights groups in the way that popular atheists are trying to reduce the stigma of atheism and make it more acceptable to the general public. The more we talk about it and make it clear that we exist, the more that the public will get bored of us and realize that we're just like anyone else. There's only so many times that any of us have the patience for correcting stereotypes about atheists.

I tend to think Christianity in all it's forms has one common goal... to "save" as many people as it can. To convert as many people as possible and await God's wrath...

My problem is, the civil rights movement, LGBT and feminism all know where they're coming from and where they want to go.

In the 1960s, black people in the US wanted the same legal rights as white people.

The LGBT groups want the same legal rights as heterosexual men and women.

Feminists want the same rights as men.

But atheism is really just an opinion... we have the same rights as believers (in the developed world at least).

So most action we could take seems to be directed against nothing but other people's opinions, and sometimes appears to me to be an exercise in futility.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
22-08-2013, 10:55 PM
I think the answer would be a bit more clear if in the original post, every time "atheist" is said, it is replaced with "humanism".

While a movement is worthwhile to pursue if a clear objective is attainable, I'm not sure that at the purest definition atheism can have a positive movement. There are too many issues that atheism reflects on, but doesn't directly influence to really make it a "movement" worthy ideal.

Atheism as way to view reality is a good goal, but the true grit of what needs to happen lies in people waking up to reality and choosing to make a positive change in society, whether or not religion is involved. We see it happen all the time as ideas grow beyond dogma. The evolution of humanity on all levels takes time, simple good ideas seem to work faster than all out intellectual war. Rome wasn't built in a day.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
22-08-2013, 11:18 PM
I personally think atheism should be backing the LGBTQA community and feminism since most of the issues both groups have stem from religion, what better way to fight back than with logic
[+] 2 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
22-08-2013, 11:37 PM
(22-08-2013 11:18 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I personally think atheism should be backing the LGBTQA community and feminism since most of the issues both groups have stem from religion, what better way to fight back than with logic

I'd agree... except I'd guess the majority of both groups are theists, and probably wouldn't want to be associated with an atheist/humanist movement.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
22-08-2013, 11:51 PM
(22-08-2013 11:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 11:18 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I personally think atheism should be backing the LGBTQA community and feminism since most of the issues both groups have stem from religion, what better way to fight back than with logic

I'd agree... except I'd guess the majority of both groups are theists, and probably wouldn't want to be associated with an atheist/humanist movement.
Which I can say as a bisexual feminist we aren't getting as much headway as we should especially in the the bi community until people throw shackles of religion
22-08-2013, 11:53 PM

"B-but you don't understand. Logically women are inferior, and LGBT are mentally ill."

As much as we like putting more thought and emotion into atheism than we already have (for better or worse), it just means "lack of belief in god(s)" and says nothing else about the person.

Atheism is such an empty term. I'd rather go with something like "anti-theist", which can include theists who also want to do away with religion, promote secularism, and all that jazz.

A term that reveals intent and a goal.