Motives/goal for atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
23-08-2013, 12:01 AM
RE: Motives/goal for atheism
(22-08-2013 11:51 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Which I can say as a bisexual feminist we aren't getting as much headway as we should especially in the the bi community until people throw shackles of religion

Again, I think that history would prove that religion will not be conquered as a whole. It is the logic of simple humanistic ideals that undermine the stronghold of dogma and ultimately produce the seeds sown for rational thought in spite of indoctrination.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 12:15 AM
(22-08-2013 09:58 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  What are the motives or goal of atheism/anti-theism?

In one of the 'Big Think' videos Neil DeGrasse Tyson raised an interesting point about atheist meetings and organizations, where people seem to just discuss how little they believe in God.

Is this a quest for rights and/or consciousness raising, a revolution in thinking or just non believers seeking support?

Things are changing in the world. Never before has atheism been in the public consciousness in the way it is now, the census numbers of "unaffiliated" is rising faster than any religion is growing and a number of very prominent scientists are confidently ruling out the need for a deity all together.

I personally class myself as an anti-theistic atheist... I oppose religion and consider faith to be a delusion. But I'm not sure the motive for groups like this is clear... I get angry at the problems religion causes, and the apologists who try to justify it's atrocities.

But I don't see how just being appalled, angry, or meeting up to discuss how religion is all bullshit is going to make and difference in the world.

Really my question is... it's clear that atheism is on the march and growing by the day, but does it have a well defined motive and direction in the same way as say feminism or the LGBT rights groups?

Imagine a world where you couldn't talk about sports in public without people looking at you strange or have family members stop talking to you because you mentioned a football game.

Imagine in school you took a pledge everyday that supported the idea that playing sports would send you to an eternal hell.

Now after years and years of not being able to even talk to other people about sports, you discovered a group of people that met up every so often and talked about all your favorite games, the best plays, the players and what they did and or said during interviews. You found a place where you can talk to other people about ideas that aren't generally spoken in public and it feels good to be around other people who know what you have been going through for your entire life or maybe even just a few years.

The motives for atheists gathering together is fellowship and creating a place where we can freely speak our minds without feeling like we are second class citizens.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
23-08-2013, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2013 02:15 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: Motives/goal for atheism
No.. There isn't any unified atheist motive similar to lgtb groups.

Simple because, atheists aren't discriminated against by existing laws. The situations aren't identical Though there are similarities. Only in some dumb illegal circumstances are atheists legally barred.

Of course there's social barring but that's not often enough for a great many of non-unified minds to group with 1/2 central aspects of agreement.

As far as this place, it's more a community than any other type of group. Generally the focus of communities is to remain a pleasant enjoyable place for the people and grow without harboring too many annoying stragglers at one time.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-08-2013, 04:30 AM
(22-08-2013 10:22 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Getting atheists to agree on goals for atheism itself is like herding cats. The things I can see wide agreement on for areas of activism would be:
--vigilant defense of the separation of church and state
--defense of science education from influence of religious dogma
--ensure nondiscrimination for non-believers in employment, housing, and public services and accommodations
--protect atheists from forced enrollment in religious practices
All these are anti-religious not atheist. Atheism is just an absence of belief in gods and doesn't have any goals.
23-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Son, I'm gonna die in 50-60 years if I'm lucky. I really don't have enough time to give a fuck.
I too would consider myself anti-theism, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna waste time and effort acting on it.
When I'm rich and relaxing in my mansion by my pool staring at the sexy pool boys ass, I'll be happy to throw some money towards people like Seth who are actually doing something about it though.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
23-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Sam,

I guess there is this ...

http://www.ebooksdownloadfree.com/Miscel...31111.html

Sean Faircloth (Richard Dawkins Foundation) is focused on Murikan theocracy and probably won't have much direct impact on North Wales.

Are you looking for an international consensus?

23-08-2013, 07:32 AM
(23-08-2013 05:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Son, I'm gonna die in 50-60 years if I'm lucky. I really don't have enough time to give a fuck.
I too would consider myself anti-theism, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna waste time and effort acting on it.
When I'm rich and relaxing in my mansion by my pool staring at the sexy pool boys ass, I'll be happy to throw some money towards people like Seth who are actually doing something about it though.

Apathetic philanthropy. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
23-08-2013, 11:26 PM
(23-08-2013 04:30 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 10:22 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Getting atheists to agree on goals for atheism itself is like herding cats. The things I can see wide agreement on for areas of activism would be:
--vigilant defense of the separation of church and state
--defense of science education from influence of religious dogma
--ensure nondiscrimination for non-believers in employment, housing, and public services and accommodations
--protect atheists from forced enrollment in religious practices
All these are anti-religious not atheist. Atheism is just an absence of belief in gods and doesn't have any goals.

No, these are not anti-religious. Not forcing atheists to carry out religious practices is anti-religious, and not discriminating against atheists in employment, housing, and public services and accommodations is anti-religious? really? Separation of church and state seemed to treat religion just fine in the US compared to European countries that still directly fund state churches. Teaching religion in science class is anti-science.
24-08-2013, 03:02 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2013 03:36 AM by DeepThought.)
(23-08-2013 11:26 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 04:30 AM)Artie Wrote:  All these are anti-religious not atheist. Atheism is just an absence of belief in gods and doesn't have any goals.
No, these are not anti-religious. Not forcing atheists to carry out religious practices is anti-religious, and not discriminating against atheists in employment, housing, and public services and accommodations is anti-religious? really? Separation of church and state seemed to treat religion just fine in the US compared to European countries that still directly fund state churches. Teaching religion in science class is anti-science.[/quote]There are no goals for atheism. Atheism is just an absence of belief in gods and says nothing about the religions built around those gods. "Church and state", "religious dogma" talk about those religions. I am a weak atheist and have an absence of belief and disbelief in gods. If somebody tried to force me to believe in one or more gods, they would be wrong to try to do so. If somebody tried to force me to follow some religious practices and I didn't want to they would also be wrong to try to force me. Those are two different things. "Religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to the supernatural, and to spirituality." Wikipedia. Atheism is just an absence of belief in gods.
24-08-2013, 04:56 PM
(22-08-2013 09:58 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  What are the motives or goal of atheism/anti-theism?

Well, my lack of belief in a deity has no goals or motivations. It's just a matter of fact. I'm not going to march around the city declaring myself an unbeliever, I'm not going to try to convince someone else they should also be an unbeliever, I'm not going to start a group to promote disbelief. I have better things to do with my time like studying and sharing science. I don't believe religion is the source of all that is negative in the world. Humans do bad things and we can make up whatever excuse we want, if it isn't religion, it'll be something else.

My lack of belief is one facet of my life. It merely describes the fact that I don't believe in the existence of a god. I am a woman, a Jew, a wife, a student, a science enthusiastic, a daughter, a sister, a caretaker, a feminist, an advocate for civil rights, a defender of scientific ideas and an educator. With all of those parts of me...why focus on that one small thing?