Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 12:33 PM
RE: Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms
(14-04-2015 12:28 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  Especially school buses. Consider

If you think about it, the entire design of school buses needs to be rethought.

Does it, though?

I don't have any data, but how does the accident and injury rate of school buses compare to traffic in general? To other special classes of vehicle? What improvements would be feasible? What costs would be associated, monetary or otherwise? Does any of that data exist?

"Could be better" is a good starting point, but...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2015, 12:46 PM
(14-04-2015 11:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's frequently occurred to me that there are several parallels between helmets and condoms.

If properly used, they protect the user.

They should be up to the user to use.

It's none of the state's business if you're using one.

Here in Michigan we finally got the adult helmet law repealed. I prefer to ride without.... (yes, that's a double entendre..)

Furthermore -- If a state wants to have a mandatory helmet law - they should have a mandatory condom law.

Enforcement might be a bit of a sticky problem....
This is gonna come off assholeish but oh well. I think they are inversely related. If you're stupid enough to not wear a helmet riding a motocycle, then you should have to wear a condom... you shouldn't be contributing to the gene pool.

Jokes aside, I don't think either should be regulated.
[+] 1 user Likes photon9's post
14-04-2015, 12:52 PM
(14-04-2015 12:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:28 PM)pablo Wrote:  If you think about it, the entire design of school buses needs to be rethought.

Does it, though?

I don't have any data, but how does the accident and injury rate of school buses compare to traffic in general? To other special classes of vehicle? What improvements would be feasible? What costs would be associated, monetary or otherwise? Does any of that data exist?

What costs are too much to improve the safety of children?
Seatbelts of course would be helpful.
Not having a ton of glass right next to the passeners heads would be better.
I don't have any numbers either, but I think less windows would be cheaper.
I don't think visibilty for the driver would be an issue. Most vehicles are too small to be seen out the side windows anyway. The drivers rely on mirrors for that.
14-04-2015, 01:02 PM
(14-04-2015 12:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Does it, though?

Seatbelts of course would be helpful.
Not having a ton of glass right next to the passeners heads would be better.
I don't think visibilty for the driver would be an issue. Most vehicles are too small to be seen out the side windows anyway. The drivers rely on mirrors for that.

There's also reasons schools prefer to have a time off during the summer months and winter vacation. Heating and cooling is pretty critical for a jampacked building of kids, not having windows isn't going to be very helpful.

I thought as a kid there's no seatbelts because how effective do you even think those will be? You think a schoolbus driver can maintain getting on routes on time and making sure those kids are in their seatbelts making his/her concentration needed to be focused on something else besides the road. It's not gonna work out well unless you added some other bus attendant to keep kids in check.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-04-2015, 01:06 PM
(14-04-2015 12:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Does it, though?

When you say that like a slogan, it's hard to dispute in principle.

But, school boards have finite budgets and when it comes to making real decisions people hardly ever want to pay for them.

(14-04-2015 12:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  Seatbelts of course would be helpful.

Again, is that true? Buses usually travel at low speeds with lots of passenger turnover. What is the benefit under those conditions? Do we know? How would we find out? Seatbelts (and airbags) are more beneficial at higher speed collisions - and can actually be harmful to smaller children. Buses are much larger than most other road vehicles, which makes a big difference in how momentum is transferred in potential collisions. And so on...

(14-04-2015 12:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  Not having a ton of glass right next to the passeners heads would be better.

Right, but spitballing without data doesn't get you very far. And it's not like there haven't been a lot of less visible improvements over the years. A bus today is several times more structurally sound than its predecessors a few decades ago.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
14-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Ventilation is easy enough to solve without windows, especially if it's manufactured in, rather then retrofitted.
Most kids today grew up with parents that taught the use of seatbelts at an early age. By the time my kids were of school age it was already automatic for them. It is for me now too.
14-04-2015, 01:19 PM
(14-04-2015 01:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  What costs are too much to improve the safety of children?

When you say that like a slogan, it's hard to dispute in principle.

But, school boards have finite budgets and when it comes to making real decisions people hardly ever want to pay for them.

(14-04-2015 12:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  Seatbelts of course would be helpful.

Again, is that true? Buses usually travel at low speeds with lots of passenger turnover. What is the benefit under those conditions? Do we know? How would we find out? Seatbelts (and airbags) are more beneficial at higher speed collisions - and can actually be harmful to smaller children. Buses are much larger than most other road vehicles, which makes a big difference in how momentum is transferred in potential collisions. And so on...

(14-04-2015 12:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  Not having a ton of glass right next to the passeners heads would be better.

Right, but spitballing without data doesn't get you very far. And it's not like there haven't been a lot of less visible improvements over the years. A bus today is several times more structurally sound than its predecessors a few decades ago.

I agree, spitballing without data isn't getting either one of us very far. Big Grin
14-04-2015, 01:31 PM
(14-04-2015 01:19 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  When you say that like a slogan, it's hard to dispute in principle.

I agree, spitballing without data isn't getting either one of us very far. Big Grin

Quite.

And I can pretty confidently extend enough credit to the people in charge of such things to say that I think they do have that data to inform their decisions.

14-04-2015, 01:33 PM
(14-04-2015 01:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:19 PM)pablo Wrote:  I agree, spitballing without data isn't getting either one of us very far. Big Grin

Quite.

And I can pretty confidently extend enough credit to the people in charge of such things to say that I think they do have that data to inform their decisions.

Fair enough.
14-04-2015, 02:04 PM
(14-04-2015 12:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 11:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If properly used, they protect the user.

They should be up to the user to use.

It's none of the state's business if you're using one.

It becomes other peoples' business when the costs of the consequences fall to other people.

Which, when it comes to health, they do.

You do realize that the cost of HIV, AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases FAR outweigh the costs of motorcyclists who are injured, not wearing a helmet???

AND far more accident survivors who sustain head injuries do so in AUTOMOBILES - not motorcycles. Should people in cars be wearing helmets???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.