Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 05:25 PM
RE: Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms
(14-04-2015 05:12 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 04:42 PM)Losty Wrote:  In Ohio, adults only have to wear seatbelts if they're driving. Seems legit to me. If you're driving you need to remain in your seat even in an accident or you could be risking other people's lives.

What about the passengers? Are they left to fly out of the car if there is a crash?

I think Losty's post just flew right over your head.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-04-2015, 08:50 PM
(14-04-2015 11:57 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Do you think the helmet laws are similar in any way to seat belt laws?

My thinking goes if bikers don't have to wear helmets why should auto drivers have to wear seat belts?

Because people who don't wear seatbelts tend to become meat projectiles when crashing at high enough speed. It can be dangerous for other drivers and innocent bystanders.

And sure, in the states, helmets can be optional. Here in Canada, the taxpayer fronts the hospital bills... So if anybody crashes without a helmet, they better die; I'd rather not pay for their idiocy.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-04-2015, 09:41 PM
(14-04-2015 08:50 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 11:57 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Do you think the helmet laws are similar in any way to seat belt laws?

My thinking goes if bikers don't have to wear helmets why should auto drivers have to wear seat belts?

Because people who don't wear seatbelts tend to become meat projectiles when crashing at high enough speed. It can be dangerous for other drivers and innocent bystanders.

And sure, in the states, helmets can be optional. Here in Canada, the taxpayer fronts the hospital bills... So if anybody crashes without a helmet, they better die; I'd rather not pay for their idiocy.

And the rider on the crotch rocket is more dangerous to others while wearing a helmet with your logic. Kinda like a Teflon bullet. Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-04-2015, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2015 11:54 PM by Logisch.)
I never wear condoms when I ride. But I do wear a helmet. Seems pretty logical. Considering I crashed for the first time this year, and I've been riding since I was 18 (I'm 29 now, 30 soon), I think my crash to miles of riding ratio is pretty damn good.

However, my helmet took a good gash and I landed on my back. It hurt like hell, the helmet showed the indentation marks. If I was wearing NO helmet, who knows what would have happened. If I was wearing a half helmet, it wouldn't have mattered, because it hit me on the lower portion of the skull on the helmet. So thankfully I was in a full racing suit, full boots, gauntlets, helmet, you name it. I walked away with a sore back for several weeks, and no major injuries.

The bike has since been reborn and I am back on the saddle after quite some time. Still getting over paranoia of slick roads, and trying to avoid any such conditions for any reason. I'll get back into my norm soon.
[Image: dOXV1a0.jpg]

Anyway, if someone wants to ride without a melon protector I suppose that's their prerogative (it's illegal here), but I'll take my chances in full gear. I'd rather live to tell the tale and ride another day. There's a reason MotoGP riders wear some serious gear when they ride, and the vast majority of their crashed they always walk away. Helps having a groomed track, but they still highside, slide pretty far, and impact is impact. That's why I wear my full gear every single time I ride. There are some though with the attitude of, "if you crash you're going to die anyway so fuck it" but I'd rather wear what protection I can and statistically better my chances.

I recall one of the worst instances several years ago about a half helmet issue was when a guy was riding his cruiser with his daughter. He always made her wear a full face helmet, he wore his salad bowl helmet. On the local parkway a car merging with them on an onramp pushed them into a median. He went face first into it and it smashed his skull, he was killed instantly. His daughter walked away with a broken arm. They said if he was wearing a full face helmet he probably would have lived. Sad. We all knew him pretty well around the local Ducati dealership, I felt bad for his family.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
15-04-2015, 01:54 AM
(14-04-2015 02:04 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You do realize that the cost of HIV, AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases FAR outweigh the costs of motorcyclists who are injured, not wearing a helmet???

AND far more accident survivors who sustain head injuries do so in AUTOMOBILES - not motorcycles. Should people in cars be wearing helmets???

Ah! The ol' Proactive Problem Management fallacy.

Does your data include all the not-reported non-injuried costs of those who wore a helmet?

15-04-2015, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2015 02:58 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(14-04-2015 11:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's frequently occurred to me that there are several parallels between helmets and condoms.

If properly used, they protect the user.

They should be up to the user to use.

It's none of the state's business if you're using one.

Here in Michigan we finally got the adult helmet law repealed. I prefer to ride without.... (yes, that's a double entendre..)

Furthermore -- If a state wants to have a mandatory helmet law - they should have a mandatory condom law.

Enforcement might be a bit of a sticky problem....

For starters...

Motorcycles laws apply whenever they're being operated out on public roads, not in the safety of your own bedroom. In addition, I really don't care if you don't care enough about your own potential for becoming road pizza; but if you are struck in the head by road debris at high speed and lose control of your bike? Now you're endangering others out on the public roadways, not just yourself. This is where the argument for personal liberty dead-ends into the wall of public safety. Operating a vehicle with a seat-belt or a helmet is as much for the safety of other people on the road as it is for your own, these devices can help you maintain control of your vehicle during emergency situations where you might otherwise lose control if you didn't have a helmet or seat-belt equipped.

Splatter yourself across the asphalt if you so desire. But if you're out on public roads and you're not wearing a helmet, you're not just a greater danger to yourself, you're a greater danger to me and everyone else around you; and being entirely frank here, that makes you an inconsiderate asshole. This is why I always wear my helmet when I ride, to do otherwise is both needlessly dangerous and disrespectful to my fellow motorist with whom I must share the roads with.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
15-04-2015, 05:55 AM
(15-04-2015 02:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  For starters...

Motorcycles laws apply whenever they're being operated out on public roads, not in the safety of your own bedroom. In addition, I really don't care if you don't care enough about your own potential for becoming road pizza; but if you are struck in the head by road debris at high speed and lose control of your bike? Now you're endangering others out on the public roadways, not just yourself. This is where the argument for personal liberty dead-ends into the wall of public safety. Operating a vehicle with a seat-belt or a helmet is as much for the safety of other people on the road as it is for your own, these devices can help you maintain control of your vehicle during emergency situations where you might otherwise lose control if you didn't have a helmet or seat-belt equipped.

Splatter yourself across the asphalt if you so desire. But if you're out on public roads and you're not wearing a helmet, you're not just a greater danger to yourself, you're a greater danger to me and everyone else around you; and being entirely frank here, that makes you an inconsiderate asshole. This is why I always wear my helmet when I ride, to do otherwise is both needlessly dangerous and disrespectful to my fellow motorist with whom I must share the roads with.

I've been riding going on 40 years.

I've seen a lot of people injured, maimed and killed on a motorcycle - and have been in a couple of major accidents myself.

Motorcycles are dangerous. PERIOD.

If you think that sticking your head in a piece of plastic is going to prevent accidents -- fine. Have at it.

I'll be more realistic about it.

The delusion that a helmet makes you "safe" IN MY MOTHERFUCKING OPINION probably leads to more trouble -- by lulling you into thinking you're not going to get hurt.

Bullshit.

Get hit by a truck with or without a helmet -- it's going to fuck you up - and you'll be lucky if it just sticks you in a wheelchair for a year or two. And yes -- I KNOW this from personal experience.

NOTHING makes a motorcycle "safe". Except possibly leaving it in the garage.

Those are the choices you make.

Aren't you glad you get to make that choice for yourself?

Don't you hope a bunch of people don't get together and try to take that choice away from you???????

Like I said -

I'm glad Michigan got rid of the helmet law.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-04-2015, 06:18 AM
I am, and have always been, ambivalent about helmet laws.

The arguments about public safety seem weak to me, while the argument for personal choice seems as strong as most arguments for personal choice.

I've had a couple of motorcycles and have always worn a helmet when riding. I think it is generally personally risky not to. However, there are times and places where the risk is small and it would be more convenient and more pleasant to ride without one.

I am not ambivalent about condoms. Everyone else should use them. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
15-04-2015, 06:20 AM
(14-04-2015 09:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 08:50 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Because people who don't wear seatbelts tend to become meat projectiles when crashing at high enough speed. It can be dangerous for other drivers and innocent bystanders.

And the rider on the crotch rocket is more dangerous to others while wearing a helmet with your logic. Kinda like a Teflon bullet. Dodgy

I'm glad you brought up logic...

1. I already said that the taxpayer pays medical costs in Canada, making safety everybody's concern. Helmets should be optional in the states.

2. A rider who crashes is almost certain to sustain injury. Injuries to the head are more likely to be life threatening.

3. In a collision, a person may become a projectile. It is not likely that they will hit another person, but it is possible. A motorcycle helmet designed to split, and is not as hard as a human skull. I wouldn't want to be hit with one... However, the rider is part of the collision 100% of the time, while innocent bystanders will likely be involved less than 5% of the time.

4. Even if a person doesn't become a danger to others while flying through a windshield, they still pose a danger after they have come to rest, as they may now be obstructing otherwise clear lanes.
15-04-2015, 06:33 AM
Christ. No one should step outside their front doors Rolleyes Feckin' makin' a public nuisance of themselves *and* dangerous to boot.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.