Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 06:37 AM
RE: Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms
(15-04-2015 06:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  Christ. No one should step outside their front doors Rolleyes Feckin' makin' a public nuisance of themselves *and* dangerous to boot.

I always heard that more accidents happen in the home....

And most vehicle accidents within 5 miles of home....

So statistically --

It's safest to go on vacation - and stay there...

(not an entirely bad plan....)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-04-2015, 06:42 AM
(15-04-2015 06:37 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 06:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  Christ. No one should step outside their front doors Rolleyes Feckin' makin' a public nuisance of themselves *and* dangerous to boot.

I always heard that more accidents happen in the home....

And most vehicle accidents within 5 miles of home....

So statistically --

It's safest to go on vacation - and stay there...

(not an entirely bad plan....)

Be sure it's a vacation alone with nobody you know. Crimes statistically seem to happen more from people you actually know.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-04-2015, 07:19 AM
(15-04-2015 05:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Motorcycles are dangerous. PERIOD.

Right, and taking less safety precautions is a benefit because?

(15-04-2015 05:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you think that sticking your head in a piece of plastic is going to prevent accidents -- fine. Have at it.

It increases your chances of not losing control should something happen. You catch a sufficiently sized piece of kicked up asphalt or a rock and it hits you in the head? You'll be far more likely to take the blow and maintain control with it bouncing off your helmet than it bouncing off your skull. You get caught in a low speed accident at an intersection where a car pull out in front of you and you have to high-side it at <45 MPH (statistically, this is probably one of the most likely and dangerous things that can happen to a motorcycle)? You'll be far more likely to walk away than be carried away in a stretcher.

I know, it's happened to both my younger brother, my father, and myself. All of us wore our helmets, all of us made contact with the pavement with our helmets.

All of us walked away from those accidents with nothing worse than a minor fracture to our arm or ribs, no permanent head or neck injuries.

(15-04-2015 05:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'll be more realistic about it.

The delusion that a helmet makes you "safe" IN MY MOTHERFUCKING OPINION probably leads to more trouble -- by lulling you into thinking you're not going to get hurt.

Overconfidence, in my experience, is not tied to those taking adequate safety precautions.

The deluded and overconfident ones who think they are invincible generally are not the ones wearing helmets.

(15-04-2015 05:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Bullshit.

Get hit by a truck with or without a helmet -- it's going to fuck you up - and you'll be lucky if it just sticks you in a wheelchair for a year or two. And yes -- I KNOW this from personal experience.

Nor did I ever say or imply that it would. Wearing a helmet won't save you from being stuck by lighting, drowning, or being hit by a meteor. It will however give you a statistically better chance of not only surviving a accident, and walking away with less severe injuries; it also increases the likelihood that you'll not lose control of your bike should you be unexpectedly stuck in the helmet versus being stuck in the head.

Any other strawmen you'd like to burn while we're at it?

(15-04-2015 05:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  NOTHING makes a motorcycle "safe". Except possibly leaving it in the garage.

Those are the choices you make.

Aren't you glad you get to make that choice for yourself?

Don't you hope a bunch of people don't get together and try to take that choice away from you???????

Like I said -

I'm glad Michigan got rid of the helmet law.

I live in Pennsylvania, where our helmet law was modified. Anyone over 21 with a valid M Class license can ride without a helmet.

Do you know who mostly ride around here without helmets? Two types of people.

Weekend warrior bar-hoppers who bought Hogs to assuage their midlife crisis, and often ride around on permits, at night, with a passenger, and no helmets. All of which is illegal on a permit, let alone the riding while most likely intoxicated between bars. These people multiple by order of magnitude during Roar on the Shore, which attracts bikers from the entire region to visit for a good week or two over the summer.

The second are stupid and overconfident college-aged kids riding crotch rockets in nothing but kahki shorts and flip flops; also often riding at night, with passengers, on a permit.

Whenever I see another biker doing something stupid and dangerous, 9 times out of 10 they're not wearing a helmet. Whenever I see one who's clearly not as comfortable as they should be on their bike, more often than not they don't have a helmet. The two times I've almost been hit by another biker while on my own fucking bike? Both didn't have helmets.

So yeah, in my personal experience, the ones without helmets are the overconfident and under-skilled douchebags who are often the biggest dangers out there on the road. At least around here, not wearing a helmet is synonymous with 'worst practices' insofar as motorcycle operation and safety is concerned. The only thing that gives me more cause for concern on the road than a helmetless rider is someone behind the wheel of a large rented moving vehicle (95+% of the time, people driving large U-Haul truck have zero experience operating a vehicle that large, same thing applies to rented trailers).

Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

What worse is that the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) programs in my state are free, including the class to get your licenses (where they even supply the bikes too). I know, I've taken and passed all of them.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-04-2015, 07:21 AM
(14-04-2015 02:04 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You do realize that the cost of HIV, AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases FAR outweigh the costs of motorcyclists who are injured, not wearing a helmet???

The cost of firearm related injuries FAR outweigh the cost of flail related injuries... Does that mean it's no big deal to flail about in public? I guess I don't see your point.
15-04-2015, 07:25 AM
(14-04-2015 11:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's frequently occurred to me that there are several parallels between helmets and condoms.

If properly used, they protect the user.

They should be up to the user to use.

It's none of the state's business if you're using one.

Here in Michigan we finally got the adult helmet law repealed. I prefer to ride without.... (yes, that's a double entendre..)

Furthermore -- If a state wants to have a mandatory helmet law - they should have a mandatory condom law.

Enforcement might be a bit of a sticky problem....

Um bullshit, you are cherry picking. Seat belt laws are mandatory, so are speed limits and traffic lights. Your sex life is a completely separate issue.

Spoken like a Ayn Rand "no rules" Somalia lover. Oh and if you ride without a helmet, you are a moron. Yep, I said it, you are a complete and utter moron.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2015, 07:25 AM
EK -- all good and well ...

You've made your decision about what is "safe enough"...

Live, or die with it.

That's the point....

We should all decide for ourselves.

And hope some smart guy doesn't come along and decide NO motorcycle is "safe enough"...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-04-2015, 07:38 AM
(15-04-2015 07:25 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And hope some smart guy doesn't come along and decide NO motorcycle is "safe enough"...

Although as a tax payer in Canada, I help cover hospital bills for motorcycle accident victims, I still value my own safety much more. Since the vast majority of people will travel solo, even in a van capable of seating 8... I'd much prefer those solo travelers do so on a relatively small 450lbs vehicle, than a large 4000lbs one. In that respect, motorcycles are safe enough for me.

I also own an FZ8, so I may be biased on the " don't ban bikes" issue.
15-04-2015, 07:46 AM
You have to come to terms with one likelihood .

If you ride a motorcycle -- long enough --- you're going to get hurt.

Nothing you can do can prevent the "I didn't see the motorcycle" morons. I had the guy who hit me SAY that in open court.

You may THINK you've come to terms with the likelihood of what it's like -- but until you spend months or years recovering from a major accident - I submit that you haven't got a clue what it's like.

I EARNED that handicap plate on my bike. The hard way. I know what it's like.

I also know what it takes to get back on the bike again.

Enough people call me a moron for riding again in the first place. The helmet's fluff in comparison.

15-04-2015, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2015 08:14 AM by Nurse.)
Former trauma nurse here. If you choose to drive a motorcycle, wear your fucking helmet, and I don't mean a goddamn skullcap. I've seen enough head injuries and brains falling out of heads to last a lifetime. I've seen some amazing survivals with relatively minor injuries with riders who wore helmets with the Kevlar suits - one of the most impressive was a guy thrown 150 yards after being clipped by a car - only injury was an open ankle fracture.

I'm of the opinion it should be mandatory to wear a helmet for both motorcycles and bicycles on all public roads.
I don't think skull caps should even be available for purchase - what's the fucking point of even wearing one? Seen plenty of nasty head injuries with those.

To be honest, I get pretty emotionally charged with this topic - it hits close to home personally and professionally. To say I'm not too keen on motorcycles would be a massive understatement. My dad died on a dirt bike - he actually *was* wearing a helmet, but broke his neck. He was found hours later when he missed a meeting at church (he was the preacher).

I view it more like you have a responsibility to take safety precautions and come home at the end of the day, and and wearing your helmet should be compulsory. My dad had a responsibility to my 23 year old mom, 4 year old brother, and 10 month old me but chose to take unnecessary risks and died as a result. He was an adrenaline junkie - as am I - I just get my rocks off by trying to ward off death for *other* people.

I also think seatbelts should also be mandatory. And you're a fucking dumbass if you don't wear one, whether you're the driver or passenger. Have you seen a scared 10 year old little girl cry because she was in a rollover SUV accident, no one was wearing seatbelts, and they had to pull her dead dad off of her? Oh, she probably died later that day - she lost consciousness about 10 minutes after arrival and we had to intubate- she had a massive head bleed with a midline shift. I can still hear her saying to my coworker that she was scared and wanted her mommy while we cut off her clothes, and my coworker lying to her and saying that she was going to stay with her and it was going to be ok, but ya know what - the subsequent silence rings even louder, because we knew at that point she wasn't going to be ok.

Also, I was under the impression that a lot of school buses are going to seatbelts. We had a bus crash in Huntsville a few years ago - there were so many deaths and traumas that we had the parents identify their children by their shoes.

I just. Yeh. Like I said, this is definitely a triggering topic.

I've been away from it for a while and am starting to feel again...whew. Moving on.
No way to enforce condom usage. But hey, if you want to stick your penis in a nasty vajay without a cover and contract dick rot, or a smelly vagina with cauliflower head sized warts with your "oopsie" pregnancy, that's your call. Cost for antibiotics for the clap is a helluva lot less expensive than emergency surgery, an extended ICU stay, rehab, etc...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
15-04-2015, 08:23 AM
The most dangerous thing I've found while riding (other than terrible road condition) is people changing lanes. I'm not sure its that they haven't looked... I think it has to do with the lack of depth assessment when you see a single headlight or multiple in close proximity. Headlights from a car that is distant enough in your mirror will appear to be close together, same goes for a motorcycle that is potentially right beside you. Not seeing two lights, separated by 5 feet of space, is probably why most drivers misjudge how close a motorcycle is.