Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 08:30 AM
RE: Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms
(15-04-2015 08:11 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Former trauma nurse here. If you choose to drive a motorcycle, wear your fucking helmet, and I don't mean a goddamn skullcap. I've seen enough head injuries and brains falling out of heads to last a lifetime. I've seen some amazing survivals with relatively minor injuries with riders who wore helmets with the Kevlar suits - one of the most impressive was a guy thrown 150 yards after being clipped by a car - only injury was an open ankle fracture.

I'm of the opinion it should be mandatory to wear a helmet for both motorcycles and bicycles on all public roads.
I don't think skull caps should even be available for purchase - what's the fucking point of even wearing one? Seen plenty of nasty head injuries with those.

To be honest, I get pretty emotionally charged with this topic - it hits close to home personally and professionally. To say I'm not too keen on motorcycles would be a massive understatement. My dad died on a dirt bike - he actually *was* wearing a helmet, but broke his neck. He was found hours later when he missed a meeting at church (he was the preacher).

I view it more like you have a responsibility to take safety precautions and come home at the end of the day, and and wearing your helmet should be compulsory. My dad had a responsibility to my 23 year old mom, 4 year old brother, and 10 month old me but chose to take unnecessary risks and died as a result. He was an adrenaline junkie - as am I - I just get my rocks off by trying to ward off death for *other* people.

I also think seatbelts should also be mandatory. And you're a fucking dumbass if you don't wear one, whether you're the driver or passenger. Have you seen a scared 10 year old little girl cry because she was in a rollover SUV accident, no one was wearing seatbelts, and they had to pull her dead dad off of her? Oh, she probably died later that day - she lost consciousness about 10 minutes after arrival and we had to intubate- she had a massive head bleed with a midline shift. I can still hear her saying to my coworker that she was scared and wanted her mommy while we cut off her clothes, and my coworker lying to her and saying that she was going to stay with her and it was going to be ok, but ya know what - the subsequent silence rings even louder, because we knew at that point she wasn't going to be ok.

Also, I was under the impression that a lot of school buses are going to seatbelts. We had a bus crash in Huntsville a few years ago - there were so many deaths and traumas that we had the parents identify their children by their shoes.

I just. Yeh. Like I said, this is definitely a triggering topic.

I've been away from it for a while and am starting to feel again...whew. Moving on.
No way to enforce condom usage. But hey, if you want to stick your penis in a nasty vajay without a cover and contract dick rot, or a smelly vagina with cauliflower head sized warts with your "oopsie" pregnancy, that's your call. Cost for antibiotics for the clap is a helluva lot less expensive than emergency surgery, an extended ICU stay, rehab, etc...

A family friend who is a paramedic told me about a guy who somehow split his skull without splitting the helmet. The fact that the helmet was still on his head was the only thing keeping him alive.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 08:31 AM
(15-04-2015 08:23 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  The most dangerous thing I've found while riding (other than terrible road condition) is people changing lanes. I'm not sure its that they haven't looked... I think it has to do with the lack of depth assessment when you see a single headlight or multiple in close proximity. Headlights from a car that is distant enough in your mirror will appear to be close together, same goes for a motorcycle that is potentially right beside you. Not seeing two lights, separated by 5 feet of space, is probably why most drivers misjudge how close a motorcycle is.

If that's the most dangerous thing you've seen, I bow to your tremendous luck.

I've had kids in the back of trucks throwing shit at me, I've had people open doors trying to clip me... I've had people pull out in front of me when I have the right of way. I've had total bozos come over the centerline head-on to run me off the road.
I've rode through a herd of deer. Ditto a herd of cows.
I've hit one deer (broke leg, kept bike up), one Volvo station wagon and one Chevy 3/4 ton truck.

When I say there's nothing safe about riding - that's exactly what I mean.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-04-2015, 08:40 AM
(15-04-2015 08:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 08:23 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  The most dangerous thing I've found while riding (other than terrible road condition) is people changing lanes. I'm not sure its that they haven't looked... I think it has to do with the lack of depth assessment when you see a single headlight or multiple in close proximity. Headlights from a car that is distant enough in your mirror will appear to be close together, same goes for a motorcycle that is potentially right beside you. Not seeing two lights, separated by 5 feet of space, is probably why most drivers misjudge how close a motorcycle is.

If that's the most dangerous thing you've seen, I bow to your tremendous luck.

I've had kids in the back of trucks throwing shit at me, I've had people open doors trying to clip me... I've had people pull out in front of me when I have the right of way. I've had total bozos come over the centerline head-on to run me off the road.
I've hit one deer (broke leg, kept bike up), one Volvo station wagon and one Chevy 3/4 ton truck.

Yeah.. See.. None of that has even happened while I'm in my car, which is 99% of my travel, so aside from the unexpected road obstruction from vehicles entering, those don't seem like major concerns. I once saw a boat break free from a trailer on a downward mountain turn, it hit an oncoming car, sliding over its hood and off a cliff... But I doubt I'll see that again, so I'm more worried about the first thing I said.
15-04-2015, 09:05 AM
(15-04-2015 08:40 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 08:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If that's the most dangerous thing you've seen, I bow to your tremendous luck.

Yeah.. See.. None of that has even happened while I'm in my car, which is 99% of my travel, so aside from the unexpected road obstruction from vehicles entering, those don't seem like major concerns. I once saw a boat break free from a trailer on a downward mountain turn, it hit an oncoming car, sliding over its hood and off a cliff... But I doubt I'll see that again, so I'm more worried about the first thing I said.
That's a pretty wild one....

My dad used to spent a huge amount of time driving -- averaging 80,000 miles a year. He said the wildest thing he ever seen was a bridge collapsing onto the freeway he was driving on. (overloaded semi truck caused it)...

He said by the time he got stopped - the dust from the bridge settled onto the hood of his car......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-04-2015, 07:47 AM
(14-04-2015 12:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  What costs are too much to improve the safety of children?
Seatbelts of course would be helpful.
Not having a ton of glass right next to the passeners heads would be better.
I don't have any numbers either, but I think less windows would be cheaper.
I don't think visibilty for the driver would be an issue. Most vehicles are too small to be seen out the side windows anyway. The drivers rely on mirrors for that.

"Think of the children" is not a good basis for approaching a safety system. The principles at work should be ALARP (As Low As Reasonably Practicable) residual risk but hazards have to be managed through proper processes alongside the management of other requirements to avoid focusing on the wrong thing and making the end system impractical.

(14-04-2015 04:40 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why the fuck wouldn't you wear a helmet on a motorbike?
You have to be clinically fucking retarded.

In saying that I do agree with Stark's comment. Darwinism...

Well, the the hospital system could always use a few more organ donors. The problem comes when their time is taken trying to rebuild destroyed faces or regrow shredded skin. I'm pretty sure the most important safety device on a motorbike is a good set of gloves. After that helmet and jacket probably come in around the same level. Then come good boots and pants. A doctor friend of mine refers to those who don't don the gear as "donor-cyclists", and she knows what this is all about first hand.

But it doesn't take much of a collision to make all of that moot. I gave up my bike years ago for a steel safety cage. I have children I need to stick around for. I reckon a car driver tried to kill me every day I rode - that is even when a motorcyclist makes eye contact with a car drive in their mirrors and the driver knows full well the motorcyclist is there, there is a good chance the driver will give the motorcyclist a significantly narrower berth than they would have given a car or truck. This when the consequences of contact are inevitably greater.

But we all know the most important feature of the motorbike helmet: It's to facilitate the biker nod. When one motorcyclist passes makes line of sight with another it is obligatory for both to simultaneously nod. This cements the bond between motorcycle brethren. That would just be weird without a helmet. Like not using a condom with a stranger. I guess some like it that way.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
16-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Worth repeating again. Only an idiot doesn't wear a helmet.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2015, 08:16 AM
You'll never admit it....

A helmet is a placebo.

Something to make you believe you're now partaking in a "safe" activity.

Don't want to accept the danger??

Stay home.

16-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Yes, because everything is black and white when you don't like your opinion being challenged.

How bout mitigating the danger?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
16-04-2015, 09:50 AM
If you play Russian Roulette with 1 bullet instead of 2 - you haven't "mitigated the danger" in any real way.....

It's still a dangerous activity.

Helmets are just like that.

If you want "safe" - don't play.

16-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Actually yes. Playing Russian roulette with one bullet instead of two MASSIVELY reduces the danger.

You seem to think things are either safe or they aren't. You are mistaken. There are varying degrees to safety. Wearing a helmet reduces the risk of head injury. No ones claiming it magically makes riding a motorcycle safe.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post