Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2015, 02:11 PM
RE: Motorcycle Helmets and Condoms
(16-04-2015 01:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 01:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I am happy for you to take that risk.

However I would also add a condition.
If you damage your brain and require medical treatment then a bill should be sent to you rather than the tax payers forking out for the cost of your treatment.

I would also be happy for any medical insurance company to include an out clause in their insurance coverage for people who don't use helmets or seat belts.

And if the helmet strap breaks my neck - and paralyzes me for life (know a guy, that exactly happened to) -- we'll send the bill to YOU???
Sue the helmet manufacturer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2015, 02:15 PM
(16-04-2015 02:03 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 01:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yamaha FZ8????

474 lbs

104.7 horsepower????

Son -- that's a higher horsepower to weight ratio than anything FERRARI makes.....

That isn't even close to being true. Add 180lbs rider on that and it's even further.

A GT500 plus driver is about 6.08lbs per hp
The FZ8 plus driver is about 6.11lbs per hp

So there you have it... A bit shy of Ferrari and super car territory I'd say.

Then again, I'm just pointing out that you were factually wrong. Your argument itself had no bearing on the topic either way.

Massage away..

You're still riding a motorcycle better suited to a racetrack than street use....

Nobody buys that kind of horsepower without intending to do wheelies, stoppies and blowing off grandpa on his stuffy old Harley.......

And you accuse ME of being a threat to myself.....

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Funny how that works....

For the record --- I have NO idea how fast my motorcycle will go....

It's never been over 80 mph...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-04-2015, 02:20 PM
(16-04-2015 02:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  For the record --- I have NO idea how fast my motorcycle will go....

Same here. It's not entirely due to my completely sane riding practices though... Something about not having a windshield. Facepalm
16-04-2015, 02:31 PM
(16-04-2015 02:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 01:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And if the helmet strap breaks my neck - and paralyzes me for life (know a guy, that exactly happened to) -- we'll send the bill to YOU???
Sue the helmet manufacturer.

OK....

I can see you don't have any experience here....

Have you ever sued a company????

Do you have ANY idea how unlikely it is for you to ever collect -- EVEN if it's completely the companies fault that you were injured???????

I bet you think that somebody got millions from McDonalds for spilling coffee in their lap........(clue -- didn't happen....)

Let me clue you in ---- there's a world of difference between getting a jury verdict - and actually ever collecting it......

Here in Michigan -- if you have a CLEAR CUT CASE -- that any reasonable person would rule in favor of the plaintiff --- it's LESS THAN 1 in 8 that you'll ever collect even HALF of an award......

Why????

Because companies hire lawyers who drag cases out for YEARS. They appeal cases on the most trivial points of law -- and get those appeals heard....

AND -- in Michigan's Appeals Court -- HALF of the cases are thrown out with no award to the plaintiff -- for no reason at all... Of those that go to trial -- about half of those go in favor of the defense....

Sue the manufacturer.....

Yeah...

Sure...

Great solution....

If you're a defense lawyer on retainer...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-04-2015, 02:53 PM
(16-04-2015 02:20 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 02:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  For the record --- I have NO idea how fast my motorcycle will go....

Same here. It's not entirely due to my completely sane riding practices though... Something about not having a windshield. Facepalm

Well.... Rather than beat our heads on the wall....

Here's what it comes down to.....

Your advice - wear a helmet.

My advice (and yes - this is what I tell new riders) -- don't ride motorcycles.

They're dangerous.

16-04-2015, 03:32 PM
(16-04-2015 02:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 02:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Sue the helmet manufacturer.

Snark, sarcasm, etc....
It seems you have a problem with me suggesting you be held financially accountable for your own choice to take a risk and potentially experience an avoidable injury.

You seem to think I as a tax payer should be happy to pay for your medical bills.

I agree with you in so far as I think you should legally have the choice to wear a helmet or not. I don't feel the government should force you to do something because they think they know what is best for you.

I just don't think that I should pay for your own misfortunes given that a head injury is avoidable with application of a suitable helmet.

If you have a problem with the quality of the helmet and you don't think you have a realistic opportunity to sue the manufacturer, then do some due diligence in your purchasing, don't go cheap, buy something of quality with a proven track record, or else, don't wear a helmet, accept the physical risk and monetary risk.

I am happy for you to have choice, I just don't want to pay taxes to support your own avoidable misfortunes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
16-04-2015, 04:45 PM
And I assume you'll be consistent and expect those people who suffer lung cancer, emphysema, strokes ect -- as a result of smoking ----

those folks who suffer heart disease as a result of overeating ---

those folks who suffer gout from eating red meat ---

and those folks who get cancer -- from having faulty genetics --

to cover THEIR medical expenses??????

No..

Of course not.....

Just the people who don't wear helmets........

Yup -- that's only fair....

16-04-2015, 05:02 PM
(16-04-2015 04:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yup -- that's only fair....
You make a good point, unfortunately you choose to deliver it in a snarky and sarcastic approach.
Anyway, I'll address your points rather than worry about your attitude.

I would like to have smokers financially accountable for their lung cancer treatment. I think that sounds fair. Also it would be fair to have the cigarette companies accountable for that cost.
One of the aspects from a consumer perspective of smokes is that it is addictive. Which reduces the consumers ability to choose not to smoke. I'd be keen to have the bulk of the smoking related lung cancer costs paid for by the cigarette companies. Does that sound fair?

Regarding riding on a motorcycle or even a bicycle without a helmet, is that addictive? Do you get withdrawal symptoms if you put a helmet on rather than ride free and easy?

Regarding people who overeat, I don't think it is a simple choice for overeaters. Food is highly addictive. I doubt many people want to be overweight and have obesity health issues. And yet they still eat too much and junk food stuff. Perhaps have food suppliers that put lots of sugars into their product have a requirement to foot some of the obesity related medical costs. I'd be good with that.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
16-04-2015, 05:09 PM
(16-04-2015 04:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And I assume you'll be consistent and expect those people who suffer lung cancer, emphysema, strokes ect -- as a result of smoking ----
yes
Quote:those folks who suffer heart disease as a result of overeating ---
yes
Quote:those folks who suffer gout from eating red meat ---
possibly, depends on history and patient knowledge.
Quote:and those folks who get cancer -- from having faulty genetics --
No, not their fault.

Yup, that's fair.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.