Motorcycles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2013, 11:07 PM
RE: Motorcycles
These new trikes are a bit different - apparently they let you lean into the turn...
[Image: Can-Am_Spyder_left_urban.jpg]
without the danger of rolling.
[Image: Can-Am_Spyder_front_action.jpg]
It's called the Can-Am Spider. I get the feeling it's some Canadian-American joint venture.
This one looks much cooler than the yellow one...
[Image: can-am-spyder-receives-kw-suspension-24539_1.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2013, 11:29 PM
(31-03-2013 11:07 PM)kim Wrote:  These new trikes are a bit different - apparently they let you lean into the turn...

It's a subsidiary of the Canadian company Bombardier, of watercraft fame. They also did some dirt bike building, probably with some American collaboration but I disremember the details.... if I ever actually knew them. But yeah, that arrangement is a lot more stable than the typical three wheeled arrangement because when you enter a turn, the momentum of the bike tends toward the front right/left. So with the stability on the front and the addition of independent suspension, they're a lot safer to ride.

That said, it's still just a three legged crotch rocket and Girly is too old and ugly to sit on his nuts and ride. Plus, his balls would probably fall out the side of his diaper in that position. Blink

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
31-03-2013, 11:41 PM
How does leaning into the turn even work on those?
When I mean leaning into a turn I mean leaning into a turn, like 45 degree angle sort of thing.
Lean into the turn.. pfft.. my arse.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
31-03-2013, 11:53 PM
(31-03-2013 11:41 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How does leaning into the turn even work on those?
When I mean leaning into a turn I mean leaning into a turn, like 45 degree angle sort of thing.
Lean into the turn.. pfft.. my arse.

I get what you mean. You ride those bikes like you ride a two wheeled bike or a four wheeler. The difference is that your leaning doesn't change the attitude of the bike like it does on two wheels. It just helps. For instance, in a right turn, your lean to the right just lessens the load on the front left wheel. Of course, if you didn't lean and you were moving fast enough, there's probably not enough weight on the ass end of the bike to compensate so, you could still flip it.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
31-03-2013, 11:58 PM
There's a guy who rides one one around here. Not the same kind and a lot cooler- much rounder features - I'm trying to find a pic.
Anyway, the independent suspension is really articulated ... I've seen this guy lean into a turn and both wheels crank over... weird but it's quite cool.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Here we go - a front trike with independent suspension. Informative site but the pics are the most revealing.

Here's their faq page.

01-04-2013, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 05:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(31-03-2013 11:29 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(31-03-2013 11:07 PM)kim Wrote:  These new trikes are a bit different - apparently they let you lean into the turn...

That said, it's still just a three legged crotch rocket and Girly is too old and ugly to sit on his nuts and ride. Plus, his balls would probably fall out the side of his diaper in that position. Blink

Not too mention the pressure on my old man prostate. I need my feet out in front of me instead of behind me for all those reasons. Hell, I needed them out in front of me 30 years ago too for those very same reasons. Big Grin And I don't have a need for speed. I drive so little these days (live a 1/2 mile from work and Manly does all the driving, ... and yes, before you fuckers ask, that includes the 1/2 mile to and from work and picking me up for my lunchtime nap Tongue), that on the rare occasion I have to drive myself the speed limit already feels too fast for me.

I saw those Can-Ams a while ago but my daughter's motorcycle mechanic boyfriend said they were a bitch to work on, repairs and maintenance are expensive and their reliability track record sucks, something's always breaking.

(31-03-2013 08:31 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  This one's got your name on it:

[Image: trike.jpeg]
Now that's pimping.

(31-03-2013 10:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wont stop me from posting some pics though:
[Image: Trike2.jpg]
Sold to the fat GirlyMan in the back! Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
[Image: tumblr_kzkbswLHdD1qzezhm]

Incidentally, my grandfather once took me for a ride on his Moto Guzzi touring bike from the 60s. I believe he sold it soon afterward. That was the only time I ever got to see the thing run. Before that it had just been garage decor.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
While we're on the subject, WTF is this?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHw5efqnk4rVTXydK3yTX...x54oMm3T9c]

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
01-04-2013, 06:13 PM
I had one of these back in university.
[Image: 26609d1117166606-motorcycle-talk-1970-ho...-cb350.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post