Motorcyclists, ahoy!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2012, 03:39 AM
RE: Motorcyclists, ahoy!
(28-04-2012 11:37 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(28-04-2012 08:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  But I really want is a Triumph Daytona 675. Hands down the sexiest bike in the world.
Agreed. I'm considering getting one myself. Just don't think it'd be a great bike as an only bike where I live, since 90% of the riding is straight (Texas...)
We have same situation here, all roads are straight (nothing to build around) and the nearest wiggly mountain road is a couple of hours away. Maybe that's why there are so many cruisers.

I do get stuck filtering sometimes where little 250cc delivery bikes can squeeze through the gaps I can't. Sports bikes tend to be ridden here by lunatic local kids who will ignore the traffic and the law, and zip down the hard shoulder in T-shirts and flip-flops.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2012, 04:18 AM
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/25...ub-brrrrub

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
29-04-2012, 05:46 AM
(29-04-2012 03:39 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  
(28-04-2012 11:37 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Agreed. I'm considering getting one myself. Just don't think it'd be a great bike as an only bike where I live, since 90% of the riding is straight (Texas...)
We have same situation here, all roads are straight (nothing to build around) and the nearest wiggly mountain road is a couple of hours away. Maybe that's why there are so many cruisers.

I do get stuck filtering sometimes where little 250cc delivery bikes can squeeze through the gaps I can't. Sports bikes tend to be ridden here by lunatic local kids who will ignore the traffic and the law, and zip down the hard shoulder in T-shirts and flip-flops.
I'm glad I live where I do, our roads are incredible. I mean the road I live on a lone is amazing. It's a hill with lots of corners are an amazing view of the entire city as you come back down, especially at night. Best way to describe it is like one of those roads from the movie Tokyo Drift out in the hills. Just like that but in a city, so houses and cars on the streets.

And there is even better roads 20minutes away.
Plenty of hills and corners around here, and great city driving too so best of both worlds. (I love city driving).

And don't you be hating on the tshirt and flip flops! Been riding for 3years and still haven't gotten around to buying any protective clothing short of gloves and helmet. Angel

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
29-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I started on motorcycles 20 years ago and have been a daily driver (snow and ice road days excluded...mostly) ever since. I started small with a little 175 enduro and the bikes got gradually bigger over the years. As it turns out they were just transitional species though because I have evolved into an unapologetic scooterist. 2 Vespas, one modern, one vintage and a 650 Burgman for long distance and speed stuff. The longest day trip on the big bike was 650 miles, while the red one has clocked trips of 300 miles on country roads delivering a computer to my brother. Living in Colorado for the moment and the riding here is spectacular for all three of the bikes.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
29-04-2012, 01:48 PM
My bike:

1999 Ducati 900SS
[Image: zHfQq.jpg]
01-05-2012, 12:44 AM
(29-04-2012 12:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It would depend on the length you ride I suppose? and how often?

I ride 6 550km trips a year and on my 250 my ass goes numb after 150kms or so. Not comfortable to ride over long distances at all, BUT I ride it a lot more, every day in fact, around the city which make sit worth while.
Bit hard to lane split on a big Harley or something.
And I can't imagine the Triumph or that very nice Ducati being much better.

Also we don't have high insurance but we have really high registration (paid once a year), like twice/three times the price of a car. They claim it's because we crash more and cost the government a ton of health costs. ('free' health care here). Which is a load of crap because why do you think we crash? because ass hole car drivers don't look and pull out in front of us. But whatever that's a discussion for another day.

The Daytona is a narrow wee thing and will split happily between the cars, long distances (500km+) can be a bit uncomfortable even with the gel seat.

Cunning tip, get some pushbike pants with the padding in the arse for under your leathers.

High rego you say, you a Kiwi too then?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
01-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Interesting, I was just gonna get a pillow and a bit of rope. Your idea sounds a little less... oh what's the word... cheap?

Wellington to be exact. Big Grin

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
I personally do not ride, but have an uncle (Godfather) who rides in many a motorcycle rally. Hubby wants one though, everyone has a wild streak I suppose. Do not mind riding on the back of those.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
01-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Odd coincidence, we have a bike thread on this forum and the bike forum I frequent has suddenly become all christian vs atheist.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
I like motorcycles too, why you negative repping me dog?