Mount Everest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Mount Everest
Mt. Everest. Would you like to climb this monster of a mountain? There's a crap load of people who climb it these days. It's almost like a dangerous Disneyland on a mountaintop. Should it be more restricted and limited to fewer people? There's garbage and dead bodies strewn everywhere these days.

Anyone read Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air? It's a fabulous book written about one of the more tragic Everest climbs.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
13-05-2016, 08:49 AM
RE: Mount Everest
My opinion, any activity that says "look at me" while I trash the environment is stupid.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
13-05-2016, 09:01 AM
If you enjoy going where plenty have gone before, and the wonderful altitude sickness which you'll likely experience even at the base camp... Everest might be for you!

My aunt went, and ended up having to turn around due to weather change. She's run and completed dozens of marathons around the world, and carried the Olympic flame when it was crossing Canada. She said it was awful and she felt pretty terrible all day every day while there. Now, a few years later, like most people, she forgot the bad parts.
13-05-2016, 09:08 AM
No, I would never want to climb Everest. But I love books and documentaries about mountaineering and have read Krakauer's book and many others. The days of massive commercial climbs of Everest are probably numbered due to the Sherpas correctly realizing they aren't being paid commensurate to the risks and global warming destabilizing the climbing paths. In the meantime I will read and watch everything Everest.
13-05-2016, 09:14 AM
(13-05-2016 08:46 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Mt. Everest. Would you like to climb this monster of a mountain? There's a crap load of people who climb it these days. It's almost like a dangerous Disneyland on a mountaintop. Should it be more restricted and limited to fewer people? There's garbage and dead bodies strewn everywhere these days.

Anyone read Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air? It's a fabulous book written about one of the more tragic Everest climbs.

I'm not sure if I ever read Krakauer's book, but I did read his article(s) in Outside magazine (on which the book was based), and I have seen the recent Everest movie that was based on the book. And I've done some rock climbing and mountaineering myself, although never on that scale.

I have mixed feelings about guided climbs in general, but I don't think amateurs have any business on Everest. The climbing isn't technically that hard, but the conditions are extreme (there's a reason why they call it "the death zone"), and if the weather goes bad, there's no quick and easy shelter. It should be for seasoned climbers only, and even they should be prepared for the worst. And they should definitely pack out their garbage. If you can't do that, stay off the mountain. That's my opinion.
13-05-2016, 09:16 AM
I don't like the cold. I don't like the odds, and i'm tremendously out of shape. I will NEVER do this. Nor would I want to.

But in the words of JFK "“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
13-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Is there a bar at the top? If there's a good bar I'd consider it. But, it has to be a really good bar with some beer or scotch you can't get anywhere else because that's a lot of effort to get to a bar, which defeats the whole purpose of going to a bar to begin with.

But, if there's a bar, then maybe.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
13-05-2016, 10:56 AM
I always hated the whole thing. All those people dying or getting mutilated or whatever, and all that for what? To be able to say "hey, I climbed Mount Everest!"? I mean, seriously, risking your life for what?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
13-05-2016, 11:06 AM
I have friends who have attempted Everest and two who have climbed it. One of them is a Sherpa who has summited it twice. I have no interest in climbing Everest but when I was younger and stronger, I dreamed about climbing K2 and Annapurna. Now, I'm glad I never attempted it.
13-05-2016, 11:24 AM
What brought me to think of this thread is that there's these two guys climbing Everest in real time and putting it on snapchat.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mount-everes...-snapchat/

So we can all follow along and possibly see them get frostbite or altitude sickness or slip off the mountain to their death.... Ummmm.... Dodgy .......yay?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.