Mount Everest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 08:53 AM
RE: Mount Everest
I'd like to stand atop Everest; not interested in actually climbing it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
14-05-2016, 10:25 AM
(13-05-2016 01:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Don't they have the "Pack it in, pack it out" rule there? The mountain is becoming a trash heap, especially at some of the lower base camps. At least that's my understanding.

[Image: everesttrash_1425436592086_14300077_ver1.0_640_480.jpg]

Apparently closer to the top oxygen tanks are strewn everywhere. People are too exhausted to haul them back or something.

It's actually the literal shit that is piled up from so many people that is one of the biggest problems

http://www.outsideonline.com/1965696/pea...s-solution

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
16-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Ah, Everest. Still looking for Mallory and Irvine's Kodak camera? Still a mummified body with a green jacked laying under a rock? Still a chance of looking down, realizing you're stepping on the hand of a sherpa that's been dead for 20 years? Not much changes up there I guess.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
16-05-2016, 06:01 PM
I had a contract to teach English in Mexico city at 7400 feet altitude,and though the city has 30 million people I had trouble breathing due to the altitude, shortly after triple bypass surgery, couldn't imagine Everest.
16-05-2016, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Everest.

Maybe a nice documentary? I could watch it, while sipping a cocktail and smoking a joint.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Yes I read the book and no I have no intentions of ever mountain climbing again.

I’ve been to a 16,400 foot summit and I was miserable, don’t want to even imagine a base camp above that!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-05-2016, 07:51 PM
(16-05-2016 06:01 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I had a contract to teach English in Mexico city at 7400 feet altitude,and though the city has 30 million people I had trouble breathing due to the altitude, shortly after triple bypass surgery, couldn't imagine Everest.

My house is at 6600 feet. The ranch where I keep my horses is at 8,000 feet. One of the guys who rented office space from me had a triple by pass. My office building was 6,000 feet. Guess it helps if you have grown up here.

I've been up over 18,000 feet in the Himalayas but I rode a horse up that mountain pass. I'm not dumb enough to try to walk up it.
16-05-2016, 08:21 PM
(16-05-2016 06:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wouldn't mind seeing Everest.

Maybe a nice documentary? I could watch it, while sipping a cocktail and smoking a joint.

There was a great one on TV a few weeks ago.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
17-05-2016, 07:19 AM
(16-05-2016 06:01 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I had a contract to teach English in Mexico city at 7400 feet altitude,and though the city has 30 million people I had trouble breathing due to the altitude, shortly after triple bypass surgery, couldn't imagine Everest.

If you were there for any length of time, you would normally get acclimated to the altitude after a week or two. However, Mexico City also has some of the world's worst air pollution. Your breathing problems might have had as much to do with that as the altitude.
17-05-2016, 07:30 AM
(17-05-2016 07:19 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

If you were there for any length of time, you would normally get acclimated to the altitude after a week or two. However, Mexico City also has some of the world's worst air pollution. Your breathing problems might have had as much to do with that as the altitude.

Mexico city's air pollution is a thing of legends, mostly. They have a tree in Chapultepec Park that was planted before Columbus did his thing, and it died in 1969 of pollution. They started a program of cleaning up the air and the environment in general, now that city is cleaner than most, but the story hangs on.