Mourdock: God At Work When Rape Leads To Pregnancy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Mourdock: God At Work When Rape Leads To Pregnancy
[Image: mourdock.jpg]

From NPR:

Quote:Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock said Tuesday when a woman becomes pregnant during a rape, "that's something God intended."

Mourdock, who's been locked in one of the country's most watched Senate races, was asked during the final minutes of a debate with Democratic challenger Rep. Joe Donnelly whether abortion should be allowed in cases of rape or incest.

"I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God. And, I think, even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen," Mourdock said.

Mourdock became the second GOP Senate candidate to find himself on the defensive over comments about rape and pregnancy. Missouri Senate candidate Rep. Todd Akin said during a television interview in August that women's bodies have ways of preventing pregnancy in cases of what he called "legitimate rape." Since his comment, Akin has repeatedly apologized but has refused to leave his race despite calls to do so by leaders of his own party, from GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on down.

Un-frakking-believable! First there was Akin and his bizarre theory of "legitimate rape,"and now we have Mourdock with his rape-is-a-gift-from-God ideology. Are these politicians for real? How can any woman vote for a man who says that a rape is "something that God intended," and is thus not grounds for an abortion if she so chooses. Even if I were not pro-Choice, I would have to allow for exceptions in certain cases, such as rape and incest.

Evidently, these people do support a limited exception for the "life of the mother." Why is it any less "God's plan" for a woman to die in childbirth than for her to be raped? In fact, it seems like the reverse should be true. Believers who subscribe to the concept of "free will" could argue that a rape contradicts God's plan because it involves the unfettered choice of the rapist. By contrast, what happens in childbirth should be entirely in line with God's will.

The bottom line is that these politicians have absolutely zero empathy for women and are an embarrassment to their gender.

http://www.theofrak.com/2012/10/mourdock...ds-to.html

www.Theofrak.com - because traditional religion is so frakked up

[Image: evol2.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Theofrak's post
24-10-2012, 10:19 AM
RE: Mourdock: God At Work When Rape Leads To Pregnancy
Yeah. Saw that. Someone tell that asshole we don't live in a theocracy. BTW, he can't tell us when the "moment of conception" is anyway.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Theofrak touched on a really pertinent point, one that I never hear brought up in these official debates:

First, saying that "God intended life to come into being after this rape" is not the same thing as saying that "God approves of rape". Even the most fundie Christians generally look at rape as a bad thing but receiving life, a gift from God, even as a consequence of rape, is still a gift from God that should be cherished as such. It's hogwash, but that's the typical view and the view that his jerk from Indiana was trying to say.

But then they say that abortion might be OK if the mother's life is at risk. And Theofrak's counterpoint, the one that I never hear officially, is to ask why we can say God gave us a new life so we must protect that God-given new life unless that God-given new life threatens the mother's God-given life - but that threat was also part of God's plan so how are we to pick and choose which part of God's plan we must obey and which part we can ignore?

Or to put it another way: If performing abortions is normally against God's plan, then why is it OK to perform an abortion against God's plan in order to save the mother's life against God's plan?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
24-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Todd Akin told him not to worry, those answers have a way of shutting down during a legitimate debate.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Matthew Laramore's post
24-10-2012, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2012 01:56 PM by Reltzik.)
Well, hey. If the Holocaust, Pol Pot, and pedophiles were all parts of (a hypothetical) God's plan....

... it may still well be part of God's plan to oppose them.

This particular argument within Christianity drives me nuts. "Something's happened. We might hate it, but it happened. Therefore, it's God's will that it happened, and we shouldn't try to reverse it." Except the moment it GETS reversed, that argument should logically become "Something happened and was reversed, and thus it was God's will that it happened and was undone."

It drives me ESPECIALLY nuts when the Christians in question are so SELECTIVE in its application. I'll wager you dollars to donuts that a large bulk of the extreme right who make this argument in the case of rape and abortion, are the same ones who completely FORGET it when "God's plan" involves a pro-choice candidate being elected.

EDIT: And it's especially horrific when this monstrosity of logic is targeted at victims of this kind of abuse. (I thought that was implied, but on a second read-through decided to make it explicit.)

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
24-10-2012, 02:28 PM
It's always god's will that *someone else* be inconvenienced or harmed.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
24-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Perhaps god is a rapist too.

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
24-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Shit like this is exactly why it disturbs me so much when I hear people say the US is a "Christian nation" and that their policy decisions are based on the bible/their religion, etc. It's not a theocracy, there is separation of church and state, and not everyone has the same religion as these guys (or any religion at all), etc.

As for why women vote for these types, I've actually met a lot of women who seem to really hate women and the idea of women having any rights. But saying rape babies are gifts from god just seems especially sick to me. While it's not saying that rape itself is a gift from god explicitly, it still sounds that way because that's the only way you get pregnant with a rape baby: rape. You think if it was god's will to get you knocked up, he'd either (1)make sure you're married and you're both fertile, or (2)knock you up with the holy spirit like he did to mary. Even for god, it seems in especially bad taste to use this particular means of getting someone pregnant.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
24-10-2012, 04:10 PM
(24-10-2012 10:37 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  First, saying that "God intended life to come into being after this rape" is not the same thing as saying that "God approves of rape". Even the most fundie Christians generally look at rape as a bad thing but receiving life, a gift from God, even as a consequence of rape, is still a gift from God that should be cherished as such. It's hogwash, but that's the typical view and the view that his jerk from Indiana was trying to say.

I agree that his message probably was that "the life is God's plan, not the rape." And we both see that it really is hogwash.

Just to flesh out the logic a bit here, this is what I hear when I read this argument from religious people:

If God had in mind that a person was to become pregnant, then he has in mind a method for the pregnancy to occur. If a woman is raped and became pregnant, and only God gives life (so God willed her to become pregnant) and rape was the means by which it was accomplished, then God willed her to be raped. So saying that pregnancies resulting from a rape are part of God's plan is the same thing as saying that rape is a part of God's plan. Saying that God is giving the gift of life through a rape is saying that God is giving the gift of rape.

It's really fucked up.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
24-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Every thing about this is so fucked up, it's beyond laughable. Now he's saying that his position is proved, because "polling proves it". Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche