Mourdock: God At Work When Rape Leads To Pregnancy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 06:28 PM
RE: Mourdock: God At Work When Rape Leads To Pregnancy
It's sick and twisted. This god of his sounds like a real prick.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2012, 06:33 PM
I am not as offended by it perhaps because I know of a person who thinks that way.

A woman I had in a couple classes at college is a very religious person who worked at some christian book store; had been raped earlier in life but chose to keep her child and sees it as and anything of strife as a gift or lesson from God.

Disturbing but people think it. As far as I know she might of been convinced of that position from preachers or her family but people out there think that way.Shy

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-10-2012, 07:23 PM
(24-10-2012 06:33 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I am not as offended by it perhaps because I know of a person who thinks that way.

A woman I had in a couple classes at college is a very religious person who worked at some christian book store; had been raped earlier in life but chose to keep her child and sees it as and anything of strife as a gift or lesson from God.

Disturbing but people think it. As far as I know she might of been convinced of that position from preachers or her family but people out there think that way.Shy

It's bad enough that she was probably consoled only with promises of God's love and and His gift of life. Hopefully she made it through to a place where she's able to deal with that event in her life. But she most likely still had a choice in the matter. She could still choose to keep the child. It was not a decision that an old white congressman or a senator made for her, completely unaffected by her decision either way... some old dude completely divorced from her reality.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
24-10-2012, 07:43 PM
This entire discussion is bullshit. Any woman who has been forced to have sex can obtain emergency contraception, It's called Plan B. There are some hospitals that do not offer it, but adults can walk into a pharmacy and get it over-the-counter. There is NO reason to even allow an unintended pregnancy to even begin, in the first place. Plan B, despite what the fucking Roman church says, is NOT a "abortifacient" medication. If women take it within a few hours of either having sex, or a rape, pregnancy will not ensue.
http://www.morningafterinfo.org/sexualassault/index.php

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm really disappointed in the republicans. I actually used to consider myself one(kinda-sorta) and now one of these damn stories come out every week fueling my headache. Seriously republicans. Clean up your back yard.

I just don't know anymore. No

I ate the eleven Hunters before me Smile
24-10-2012, 08:06 PM
(24-10-2012 07:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This entire discussion is bullshit. Any woman who has been forced to have sex can obtain emergency contraception, It's called Plan B. There are some hospitals that do not offer it, but adults can walk into a pharmacy and get it over-the-counter. There is NO reason to even allow an unintended pregnancy to even begin, in the first place. Plan B, despite what the fucking Roman church says, is NOT a "abortifacient" medication. If women take it within a few hours of either having sex, or a rape, pregnancy will not ensue.

It's not bullshit because costs of ER visits are prohibitive, plus the prescription... they are a barrier to the people who cannot afford it or those who do not have insurance, or those who have bad insurance.

And Plan B is not available over the counter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/07...34284.html

The FDA recommended, but it was shot down- an Obama decision that I disagree with.

Plus there is an age restriction. If you're under age, you need your parent's signature. Hope your parent is OK with you having had sex out of wedlock- or that they aren't your rapist. Every obstacle makes it more difficult, and makes it more likely that people will not make use of the morning after pill.

There are unfortunately reasons that unintended pregnancies happen, and are not ended with Plan B. This discussion should be bullshit, but it is unfortunately not at all bullshit.
24-10-2012, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2012 08:35 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-10-2012 08:06 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 07:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This entire discussion is bullshit. Any woman who has been forced to have sex can obtain emergency contraception, It's called Plan B. There are some hospitals that do not offer it, but adults can walk into a pharmacy and get it over-the-counter. There is NO reason to even allow an unintended pregnancy to even begin, in the first place. Plan B, despite what the fucking Roman church says, is NOT a "abortifacient" medication. If women take it within a few hours of either having sex, or a rape, pregnancy will not ensue.

It's not bullshit because costs of ER visits are prohibitive, plus the prescription... they are a barrier to the people who cannot afford it or those who do not have insurance, or those who have bad insurance.

The FDA recommended, but it was shot down- an Obama decision that I disagree with.

Plus there is an age restriction. If you're under age, you need your parent's signature. Hope your parent is OK with you having had sex out of wedlock- or that they aren't your rapist. Every obstacle makes it more difficult, and makes it more likely that people will not make use of the morning after pill.

There are unfortunately reasons that unintended pregnancies happen, and are not ended with Plan B. This discussion should be bullshit, but it is unfortunately not at all bullshit.

Plan B IS available to adults, over-the-counter, with photo ID. I just asked a RPh. The Sibelius debate was about making it available to underage teens. It costs $44.99, for cash. which is FAR less than the cost of an ED visit. It *could* be prohibitive to some, but it is FAR less than the cost of pre-nantal, and obstetrical care. I still say, it a bullshit red-herring debate. These old farts do not want to accept the fact that teens have sex all the time. It's about education. However you are 100% correct about the care involved. Woman who are raped need to be checked for other things, for example Chlamydia, other venial diseases, and HIV. So if the unprotected sex is with a known usual partner, and there is no question about disease, Plan B without a visit might be fine. In the case of rape by a stranger, it is not fine, and should be offered and part of the usual standard of care, in the ER.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-10-2012, 08:30 PM
(24-10-2012 08:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 08:06 PM)kineo Wrote:  It's not bullshit because costs of ER visits are prohibitive, plus the prescription... they are a barrier to the people who cannot afford it or those who do not have insurance, or those who have bad insurance.

Plan B IS available to adults, over-the-counter, with photo ID. I just asked a RPh. The Sibelius debate was about making it available to underage teens. It costs $44.99, for cash. which is FAR less than the cost of an ED visit. It *could* be prohibitive to some, but it is FAR less than the cost of pre-nantal, and obstetrical care. I still say, it a bullshit red-herring debate. These old farts do not want to accept the fact that teens have sex all the time. It's about education.

You're right, it is unavailable for those under 17. Even still, that's an obstacle for those in need. And $45 is also cost prohibitive for the poor, who don't even know if they are going to be pregnant or not.

I agree with you that education is the most important, also the availability of contraceptives. But in cases of rape, education and some contraceptives won't matter. You will still need to be able to afford Plan B or be willing to report the rape to the police and go down the road of a court case- possibly being scrutinized by the offender's defense team. I think it's too dismissive to say that Plan B is accessible for everyone and that this is a bullshit issue.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
24-10-2012, 09:17 PM
(24-10-2012 08:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Plan B IS available to adults, over-the-counter, with photo ID. I just asked a RPh. The Sibelius debate was about making it available to underage teens. It costs $44.99, for cash. which is FAR less than the cost of an ED visit. It *could* be prohibitive to some, but it is FAR less than the cost of pre-nantal, and obstetrical care. I still say, it a bullshit red-herring debate. These old farts do not want to accept the fact that teens have sex all the time. It's about education. However you are 100% correct about the care involved. Woman who are raped need to be checked for other things, for example Chlamydia, other venial diseases, and HIV. So if the unprotected sex is with a known usual partner, and there is no question about disease, Plan B without a visit might be fine. In the case of rape by a stranger, it is not fine, and should be offered and part of the usual standard of care, in the ER.

What about all the indoctrinated people who may actually believe this bullshit? And the pharmacists that are religiously opposed to selling birth control and refuse to actually sell it? Or underage girls?

I still think it's terrible that politicians actually say crazy shit like this, and that some people actually believe them. I think that's a sign there is a problem.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2012, 10:47 PM
(24-10-2012 02:29 PM)Troll Wrote:  Perhaps god is a rapist too.

If he exists then he definately is. What does the bible say about mary again? Oh yeah, poof you're pregnant.