Movie review

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Movie review
I doubt any of you who are atheist were considering going to see "God's not Dead", but if you were, DON'T. One of the major downsides of being closeted is that when your wife and kids want to go see a movie like that, you have a harder time coming up with a reason not to go. That's what we did Saturday afternoon.

Aside from absolutely terrible acting and writing, the movie was basically written so that the Christian writers could make the claims they normally make in an Atheist/Theist debate without having a rational person there to refute them. They also came up with a totally contrived plot device of having an atheist "journalist" confront a couple of Christian "celebrities" including the Duck Dynasty guy and some apparently popular music group called Newsboys. The journalist would ask a belief-based question (in an angry, condascending tone), and then the celebrity would go on for a couple of minutes about how obvious it is that God is real and Christianity is rational (in a completely calm and polite tone).

One last comment: the writers made sure they portrayed all the atheists in the movie and condescending, angry, totally self-centered, and basically without any redeeming qualities, while all the Christians were polite, happy, and always thinking about others. They also managed to work in a side story that slammed Muslims at the same time. They basically reinforced every stereotype that a Christian leader could come up with.

So if you were thinking of going.... DON'T
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like dogerdog's post
14-04-2014, 09:42 AM
RE: Movie review
that sounds like comedy gold Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
14-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Was your experience anything like this?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
14-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Thing is, its the Christians who get all angry and aggressive when their beliefs are questioned.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
14-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Yeah, it's like the cinema version of Chick tracts.

[Image: sick-penguin-smiley-emoticon.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
14-04-2014, 10:54 AM
(14-04-2014 09:40 AM)dogerdog Wrote:  One of the major downsides of being closeted is that when your wife and kids want to go see a movie like that, you have a harder time coming up with a reason not to go. That's what we did Saturday afternoon.
[SNIP]

Good fellow, are you closeted even to your wife??? I can't begin to imagine how difficult that must be. Much strength to you, sir.

I won't be paying money to see this film. I might watch it on the web. I'm sure it'll be on youtube or otherwise available in the not too distant future.

I love the trailer. It shows what a crappy film it's going to be. Radisson (spelling?) walks into a lecture theatre and announces (to a first year philosophy class - 150 means first year, doesn't it?) that he wants to bypass all discussion and come to the conclusion that "There is no God!" Then he gets the students to sign a statement that "God is dead." And he's nasty with it.

That's what my philosophy lecturers were like!!!Big GrinBig Grin Like hell they were. Rasdisson would have been given a rag and told to clean the toilets at any university I know.

[POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO DO PLAN TO SEE THE MOVIE]
dogerdog, I believe I read somewhere that Radisson isn't even actually an atheist. He was a Christian who experienced a close relative who underwent a pretty terrible experience and presumably died (clue: young girl having an MRI scan). Is this true? If so, it undermines the whole thesis of the film. And that also comes through in some of the text. Radisson states "There is no God" followed almost immediately by "God is dead". An atheist couldn't make the second statement. Later (and I've only watched the trailer, not the movie), Josh also asks "Why do you hate God?" Atheists don't hate God. He doesn't exist. So, my next question is...how does Radisson react? Does he break down? Does he accept the Lord?
[END OF SPOILER ALERT]
14-04-2014, 10:55 AM
(14-04-2014 09:40 AM)dogerdog Wrote:  One last comment: the writers made sure they portrayed all the atheists in the movie and condescending, angry, totally self-centered, and basically without any redeeming qualities, while all the Christians were polite, happy, and always thinking about others. They also managed to work in a side story that slammed Muslims at the same time. They basically reinforced every stereotype that a Christian leader could come up with.
For some, like the creators of this movie, when they don't have solid arguments, it boils down to "no honesty needed". Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
14-04-2014, 10:57 AM
I will watch it, but only once it's come up on an illegal bootleg website. That's the only way I'll watch it. I will not be giving them my money. However, I still do want to watch it because I am curious as to what they are feeding to the other Christians in the world.

14-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Yeah, not seeing. Horrible philosophy, which I think they DELIBERATELY misrepresented. The phrase "god is dead" was meant to mean god is no longer relevant to much of society. It doesn't imply atheism.

Also the demonizing of every dissenting voice isn't attractive. It's why I reserve the right to punch a certain documentary filmmaker in the face.
14-04-2014, 11:35 AM
I won't even watch that crap. The Kirk Cameron movies are enough to make me sick let alone these that have people with no acting experience. 99% of Christian made movies are atrocities in terms of movie making.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post