Movie review

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2014, 11:37 AM
RE: Movie review
(14-04-2014 10:54 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 09:40 AM)dogerdog Wrote:  One of the major downsides of being closeted is that when your wife and kids want to go see a movie like that, you have a harder time coming up with a reason not to go. That's what we did Saturday afternoon.
[SNIP]

Good fellow, are you closeted even to your wife??? I can't begin to imagine how difficult that must be. Much strength to you, sir.

I won't be paying money to see this film. I might watch it on the web. I'm sure it'll be on youtube or otherwise available in the not too distant future.

I love the trailer. It shows what a crappy film it's going to be. Radisson (spelling?) walks into a lecture theatre and announces (to a first year philosophy class - 150 means first year, doesn't it?) that he wants to bypass all discussion and come to the conclusion that "There is no God!" Then he gets the students to sign a statement that "God is dead." And he's nasty with it.

That's what my philosophy lecturers were like!!!Big GrinBig Grin Like hell they were. Rasdisson would have been given a rag and told to clean the toilets at any university I know.

[POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO DO PLAN TO SEE THE MOVIE]
dogerdog, I believe I read somewhere that Radisson isn't even actually an atheist. He was a Christian who experienced a close relative who underwent a pretty terrible experience and presumably died (clue: young girl having an MRI scan). Is this true? If so, it undermines the whole thesis of the film. And that also comes through in some of the text. Radisson states "There is no God" followed almost immediately by "God is dead". An atheist couldn't make the second statement. Later (and I've only watched the trailer, not the movie), Josh also asks "Why do you hate God?" Atheists don't hate God. He doesn't exist. So, my next question is...how does Radisson react? Does he break down? Does he accept the Lord?
[END OF SPOILER ALERT]

IIRC he has a "deathbed conversion" after being hit by a car or some such trite bullshit.

EDIT: Yeah checked up on that and yes, that's what happens. <puke>

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2014, 01:17 PM
(14-04-2014 11:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I won't even watch that crap. The Kirk Cameron movies are enough to make me sick let alone these that have people with no acting experience. 99% of Christian made movies are atrocities in terms of movie making.

Like that monstrosity they call "Christian Rock"....

Rock 'n' Roll and Christianity are two ideologies directly opposed to each other.

Combine the two and you create something which simply should not be.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2014, 01:38 PM
I'm curious about your families opinions? Did they see that the atheists were represented that way? were they able to see the obvious flaws in reasoning?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-04-2014, 01:46 PM
If theists could spot obvious flaws in reasoning they wouldn't be theists

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
14-04-2014, 02:52 PM
(14-04-2014 09:51 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Was your experience anything like this?

Sorry, I'm at work and youtube is blocked...Sad
14-04-2014, 03:17 PM
(14-04-2014 10:54 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 09:40 AM)dogerdog Wrote:  One of the major downsides of being closeted is that when your wife and kids want to go see a movie like that, you have a harder time coming up with a reason not to go. That's what we did Saturday afternoon.
[SNIP]

Good fellow, are you closeted even to your wife??? I can't begin to imagine how difficult that must be. Much strength to you, sir.

I won't be paying money to see this film. I might watch it on the web. I'm sure it'll be on youtube or otherwise available in the not too distant future.

I love the trailer. It shows what a crappy film it's going to be. Radisson (spelling?) walks into a lecture theatre and announces (to a first year philosophy class - 150 means first year, doesn't it?) that he wants to bypass all discussion and come to the conclusion that "There is no God!" Then he gets the students to sign a statement that "God is dead." And he's nasty with it.

That's what my philosophy lecturers were like!!!Big GrinBig Grin Like hell they were. Rasdisson would have been given a rag and told to clean the toilets at any university I know.

[POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO DO PLAN TO SEE THE MOVIE]
dogerdog, I believe I read somewhere that Radisson isn't even actually an atheist. He was a Christian who experienced a close relative who underwent a pretty terrible experience and presumably died (clue: young girl having an MRI scan). Is this true? If so, it undermines the whole thesis of the film. And that also comes through in some of the text. Radisson states "There is no God" followed almost immediately by "God is dead". An atheist couldn't make the second statement. Later (and I've only watched the trailer, not the movie), Josh also asks "Why do you hate God?" Atheists don't hate God. He doesn't exist. So, my next question is...how does Radisson react? Does he break down? Does he accept the Lord?
[END OF SPOILER ALERT]

Yes, 100% closeted. Without the kids, I might consider letting the cat out of the bag, but I don't want to go through all the pain that would bring them.

SPOILER ALERT:
As for the movie, yes, Radisson was a Christian who only became Atheist because his mother died (she had something like cancer, which was only briefly discussed in the movie). So he did not come to his belief through reason, but because of trauma. Radisson blurts out that he hates god, which turns the whole plot of the movie in favor of the Christian central character. Radisson actually gets in an accident later in the movie and makes a literal deathbed conversion.
14-04-2014, 03:19 PM
(14-04-2014 01:38 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I'm curious about your families opinions? Did they see that the atheists were represented that way? were they able to see the obvious flaws in reasoning?

Oh no, there was actually applause at the theater. Actually a good description of the film would be a "Christian pep rally".
14-04-2014, 03:19 PM
(14-04-2014 01:46 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If theists could spot obvious flaws in reasoning they wouldn't be theists

Excellent point!
14-04-2014, 03:20 PM
I learned everything I needed to know about that movie through reading the "user reviews" on IMDB.com. Also of note, this film displays the worst (best example of*) bimodal statistical distribution I've yet seen on IMDB (click on the # of users who have reveiwed link). Tons of 10s from moronic Christians and almost all 1s on the other end, many from self-professed Christians (with brains I presume) who were thoroughly disgusted by the bias in the film. Even atheists who said they went for a laugh were horrified, so yeah, I'll pass. Even though I am morbidly curious to see what is likely the worst film of all time... shame on Kevin Sorbo.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2528814/rati..._=tt_ov_rt
I also found it a little depressing how many more females than males rated this garbage positively... I'd like to think of us all as being equal but my slow sad realization is that fewer women think for themselves. Dodgy We also have a harder time being critical apparently though (this is apparent on almost every other film's imdb review statistics if you'd like evidence) so maybe that's partially to blame.

P.S. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it would be to live as a closeted atheist with your spouse. You should really try to broach this topic eventually, but I'm not sure how... all I do know is that this situation could lead to a severe depression for you and marital problems eventually if not already. Sad

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
14-04-2014, 03:23 PM
There is a very funny review of this film over at the Scathing atheist podcast.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.