Movies I did not like.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Movies I did not like.
This is a list of movies I did not like but which were critically acclaimed and had box office success. Obviously most of you will disagree with my assessment otherwise these movies would not be successful. Nonetheless these are movies that left me wanting my money back.

I've had people give me arguments in favor of these movies. I cannot counter such arguments since, having suffered through them only once, I have not become familiar enough with them to argue fine points.

The list is in alphabetical order except the last three which I hold in the lowest regard. Here they are along with my reason for disliking them.
  • Chinatown – I went to the movie expecting something like an old fashioned detective story. That's what the hype inferred. It didn't deliver.
  • The Crying Game – The whole movie is built around the big reveal (no pun intended). They should have ended the movie right there.
  • Fatal Attraction – No one to root for! Michael Douglas' character has a beautiful wife. Anyone who would cheat on lher is both a jerk and an idiot. I thought he deserved everything he got. I sympathized with the wife but she's a rather minor character.
  • Forrest Gump – I was personally offended by this film. I went to college and worked hard for every thing I have. Am I supposed to be entertained by a story of a mentally challenged man who finds fame and fortune by mere accident.
  • Gladiator – The hero should have been played by Steve Reeves or Gordon Scott. Seriously, not Oscar material.
  • The Matrix – I just could not buy into the “university in a computer” milieu.
  • No Country for Old Men – Same objection a lot of people had. The ending sucks.
  • Saving Private Ryan – The D Day landing scenes were great. After that it's just another war move, and a mediocre one at that.
  • Zorba the Greek – Boring! And the scene where the woman gets her throat cut is a real turn off.
  • The French Connection – my 3rd worst movie of all time. Mad Magazine's parody of this film was titled What's the Connection, and it's right on. I found it impossible to keep track of what's going on. Slowly paced. Do we really have to sit through watching one person eat a meal in a restaurant while Gene Hackman freezes outside. Is that supposed to be entertaining? This one I have seen twice. It was pm TV years later. Same reaction.
  • The Deer Hunter - One of the few movies I've walked out of in the middle. After an interminable night-before-shipping-out-to-Vietnam sequence we find our heroes in a tiger cage with not indication of how they got there. Then the sickening Russian roulette scene. When it became obvious that we were going to be subjected to another such scene, we left.
  • The Graduate - I didn't give a damn about any of the characters, except maybe the girl. “Plastics!” Right. Requires too much suspension of disbelief. The film would have redeemed itself (maybe) if it had ended with Hoffman being dragged away in a straight jacket, which is what would have happened in real life.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
12-02-2015, 10:04 PM
RE: Movies I did not like.
I can't disagree with that list.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Forest Gump: He knows what love is. Heart

Matrix: Special, so special, effects.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
13-02-2015, 01:05 AM
I like what people tend to call "boring" movies or ambiguous endings, so ones you list there like French Connection, Old Country, etc.

I've always agreed to that point about Saving Private Ryan entirely.

But Chinatown isn't a old fashioned detective story like the actual 40s flicks. It's an homage and a Neo-Noir. The character isn't supposed to be strong and in control like those typical detective characters.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
13-02-2015, 01:19 AM
(13-02-2015 01:05 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I like what people tend to call "boring" movies or ambiguous endings, so ones you list there like French Connection, Old Country, etc.

I've always agreed to that point about Saving Private Ryan entirely.

But Chinatown isn't a old fashioned detective story like the actual 40s flicks. It's an homage and a Neo-Noir. The character isn't supposed to be strong and in control like those typical detective characters.

Chinatown just didn't grab me. I watched it recently I just didn't care for it at all.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-02-2015, 05:31 AM
Quote:Forrest Gump – I was personally offended by this film. I went to college and worked hard for every thing I have. Am I supposed to be entertained by a story of a mentally challenged man who finds fame and fortune by mere accident.

How do you deal with the current state of human evolution? Billions of years of accidents.
Many mentally challenged men have made it to the Presidency!

Maybe you didn't work smart?Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
13-02-2015, 06:29 AM
Some good films on that list (private ryan, matrix, Forrest gump, gladiator) Weeping

Out of interest what films DO you lik?e

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
13-02-2015, 07:25 AM
The one I got burned on --- "Frozen".... Both of my sisters and my niece wanted to go see it and thought I might like it.

Why? I'll never know.

I want my 102 minutes back.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-02-2015, 11:48 AM
(12-02-2015 09:43 PM)f stop Wrote:  [*]Forrest Gump
[*]No Country for Old Men
[*]Saving Private Ryan
[*]The Deer Hunter
[*]The Graduate

These 5 are among my all-time favorite movies. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
13-02-2015, 02:51 PM
(13-02-2015 06:29 AM)bemore Wrote:  Out of interest what films DO you lik?e
  • Lawrence of Arabia - My all time favorite.
  • In general my favorites have always been the big budget epics over three hours long. The don't make those any more. If they did they would use CGI and that's not the same as 70mm panavision. Examples:
    • Gone With the Wind
    • Dr. Zhivago
    • Cleopatra
    • Patton
    • Tora Tora Tora - my fav WWII film
    • The Longest Day
    • Ben Hur - yeah, religious flick, but still a good story.
  • Anything by Stanley Kubrick except Fear and Desire and Eyes Wide Shut.
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • Crime capers where the hero gets away with the swag. For example.
    • Point Blank - In tte movie it's not clear if Walker gets away with the money. In the book (The Hunter by Richard Stark) he does.
    • ]The Getaway (Steve McQueen version)
    • The Split(1968}
    • Parker](2013)
  • Early day Steven Spielberg.
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • E.T.
    • Two of the Indiana Jones movies. Guess which two.
  • 1950s Sci Fi movies such as
    • The Day the Earth Stood Still (the remake sucks)
    • The War of the Worlds
    • Forbidden Planet
    • The Thing From Another World. Both re-makes suck, even if they are truer to the original material.
    • The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
    • The Time Machine
    • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    • Lots of others.
  • Super hero films in general, Superman III & IV excepted.
  • Westerns
    • Once Upon a Time in the West - my fave western
    • Shane
    • High Noon
    • The Searchers
    • True Grit - both versions, although I like John Wayne's better
    • John Ford movies
  • Early Disney animation - examples
    • Snow White - in college I sneaked out of the dorm so my friends would not know I was going to a kid's flick.Blush
    • Pinocchio
    • Cinderella
    • Sleeping Beauty _ I really liked the recent Maleficent.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post