Movies to recommend to Lucradis this time....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Movies to recommend to Lucradis this time....
I'm stealing this idea from Erxomai, because useful ideas are meant to be pilfered. That's why they made a word for it. Which was promptly stolen and used by millions.

I am both easier and harder than Erxomai (teehee) as far as recommendations go.

I have less stringent guidelines as per genre, but I have seen a lot of movies. I mean a lot. So many I can't remember some anymore until I see the cover or hear the premise. Then it all comes flooding back.

I would rather not be recommended absolute crap, as I will likely look up ever film presented to see if it might float my boat. Which means a lot of wasted time internetting.

The easiest way to go about this is to think of the best movies you know of that no one else seems to be aware of. Also I like B movies, but not many as most are pretty fucking horrible. Some though... gems.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
31-05-2012, 12:49 PM
RE: Movies to recommend to Lucradis this time....
I feel like you are the master asking the grasshopas to teach.

The first one that comes to mind is a movie I saw years ago called In God's Hands. It is a low budge (or seems that way sometimes, acting can be a bit rough). It has nothing to do with religion or God, the phrase was chosen because it's more about how much risk of your life do you take to triumph and master something. In this movie, specifically surfing the big wave. It has a story line, it's not a documentary. At first I overlooked this movie, but then it became one of my favourite that I ended up watching several times. It also was the reason I started to go surfing, to get 'that' feeling.

Are you into subtitled/foreign movies?
Find all posts by this user
31-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm into everything. So long as it isn't brutally awful or about mouths to butts such as human centipede. I can live without mouths to butts. Though I have watched the majority of that horrid movie. Can't figure out why anyone enjoys it for anything other than shock value...

I will check your suggestion out LJ.

Oh and no matter how much someone thinks they know, if they think they are done learning, they didn't know that much to begin with. - Jesus or someone. Maybe Kermit.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
31-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Right, if you don't like zombie films then tough shit. Tongue

The obvious ones are George A Romero's Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, but I'll recommend some other gems. Wink

Siege of the Dead
The Dead
Undead or Alive
Pontypool
Rec
Planet Terror
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Dead Snow
Zombie of Mass Destruction

[Image: opforum1.png]
31-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Don't like zombie films... Dude I'm the hipster of zombie films. I liked that shit before you ever heard of it.
Me and my buddies had a zombie survival plan before grade 5 was out. I'm almost thirty. Wow... oh... now I'm sad. Too old for life....

Anyways, I've seen all of those minus the last one. Might check out. Though I have to be in a zombie mood lately. Also did not like Pontypool or Quarantine. Not sure why people like Ponty. Quarantine was too shaky cam for me. it actually shook so much as to make me feel sick. I watched it all the way through like a trooper though, and watched the sequel, as well as the american remake for some reason. Still not sure why they remade that one... it was exactly the same minus the language. Shaky cam.... he's a professional cameraman ffs.

Edit: watched trailer for Zombie... looks not too shabby. Liked the last line of the trailer. "Brian, you know I'ma vampire man."

[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
31-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah, ZMD is a good film. You should watch it.

Pontypool is pretty awesome, man. I just like the claustrophobic nature of it and how it doesn't move location at all. I also liked that you didn't actually need to see what was happening for it to get rather chilling, you only had to hear it.

[Image: opforum1.png]
31-05-2012, 04:54 PM
The Dictator!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
31-05-2012, 05:34 PM
If you like Tim Burton movies then I suggest '9'. Quirky and a little strange but enjoyable Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
31-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Here's a pretty good list to work with.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...to-Erxomai

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-05-2012, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2012 06:43 PM by Erxomai.)
The State Within

This is a 7 part BBC mini-series, so it's not really a movie per se, but I just finished watching it and really liked it. British Ambassador to the US gets caught up in some sort of conspiracy to start WWIII.

The Objective

This is a strangely interesting movie that can be described as an Apocalypse Now in Afghanistan, only not nearly as good. But I enjoyed it.

Bubba-Ho-Tep

Since you're a Bruce Campbell fan, maybe you have already seen this, but it was new to me the other week.
Elvis in a nursing home, battling evil. How can you not love this movie?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My