Movies with Random and Unexpected Religious Themes (Spoilers Welcome)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Movies with Random and Unexpected Religious Themes (Spoilers Welcome)
So, I'm curious what films you guys have seen where, all of a sudden, you were slapped in the face with random, nonsensical, or just plain unexpected religious themes blathering on and dragging the film down.

Please, for the sake of conversation, try to avoid cliche sarcasm like saying "Passion of the Christ" or "The Exorcist."

I mean things like when I painfully sat through Starship Troopers 3, which was a pretty shitty movie on it's own. But it is part of a purely violence-laden science fiction series that all of a sudden--BAM--featured two of the main characters, who spent the latter third of the movie arguing religion are kneeling down and praying to god to be saved from giant space bugs, when a literal halo of mech-armored ultra soldiers fall from the sky overhead to save them. And one of them was "all painted-on clothes and grimaces" Jolene Blalock from Star Trek Enterprise.

After the first (generally enjoyable) Starship Troopers film and second (lackluster but watchable pure horror) movie, this was not the shit I expected to see from a franchise born of over-the-top ultraviolence and blatant sexual innuendo.

I was left stunned and confused. Who the fuck was this made for? Your average church-going Bible thumper may really like the "pray away the bugs" ending, but seriously, the rest of the film is not something that would ever be sold to that crowd. And I, as a fan of science fiction and the original Troopers film, have absolutely no interest in seeing this kind of ham-fisted religious trite added to an already pretty ridiculous film series.

Who's seen worse?

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 04:26 PM
RE: Movies with Random and Unexpected Religious Themes (Spoilers Welcome)
The Book of Eli, in the end: it turns out it's a bible.

After this movie it really became clear that Denzel Washington is a religious fanatic. He refuses to work with atheists because they are untrustworthy.
Enough reason for me to never pay to see any movie of his anymore.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
05-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Book of eli was shit . The most common book in the world is the one they are missing.
Try a fn hotel motel room idiots.

This is the end I thought was about aliens until the jona hill possession.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
05-12-2013, 03:07 AM
Nausicaa of the valley of the wind
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2013, 03:12 AM
(05-12-2013 03:07 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Nausicaa of the valley of the wind

I disagree on that. I know they had the prophecy thing but it never came off as religious.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-12-2013, 03:17 AM
(05-12-2013 03:12 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 03:07 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Nausicaa of the valley of the wind

I disagree on that. I know they had the prophecy thing but it never came off as religious.
It reminded me of the story of Moses
05-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Disney's version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It scared the shit out of me as a kid but now I absolutely adore it. This is probably cheating since I just wasn't expecting Disney to make a religious movie.
05-12-2013, 03:19 AM
(05-12-2013 03:17 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 03:12 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I disagree on that. I know they had the prophecy thing but it never came off as religious.
It reminded me of the story of Moses

If anything it was an Eco-warrior thing or an earth mother story what with the planet destroyed by war and nature fighting back.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-12-2013, 03:22 AM
(05-12-2013 03:19 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 03:17 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  It reminded me of the story of Moses

If anything it was an Eco-warrior thing or an earth mother story what with the planet destroyed by war and nature fighting back.
I know that's what they were going for but I could picture was the plagues and Moses (Nausicaa) swooping in to save the day, but as I said that's just my interpretation
05-12-2013, 03:23 AM
(04-12-2013 04:26 PM)Caveman Wrote:  The Book of Eli, in the end: it turns out it's a bible.

After this movie it really became clear that Denzel Washington is a religious fanatic. He refuses to work with atheists because they are untrustworthy.
Enough reason for me to never pay to see any movie of his anymore.

I kinda liked Book of Eli - not because of the religious shit, just the kinda... unintentional message they sent. The whole deal was this book was so dangerous because it could be used to *control* people... not because it gave people freedom...

Worst part of that movie was the bit where the old lady and old man didn't eat them. They were in a frikken pit-trap and the guy had a shotgun FFS. Why didn't he blow them away ? Bloody illogical behaviour Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.