Movies with Random and Unexpected Religious Themes (Spoilers Welcome)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2013, 07:47 AM
RE: Movies with Random and Unexpected Religious Themes (Spoilers Welcome)
(04-12-2013 04:26 PM)Caveman Wrote:  The Book of Eli, in the end: it turns out it's a bible.

After this movie it really became clear that Denzel Washington is a religious fanatic. He refuses to work with atheists because they are untrustworthy.
Enough reason for me to never pay to see any movie of his anymore.

I had no idea he was such a religious guy. I'd heard that the "book" in that movie was the Bible, which soured me wanting to see it.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 08:00 AM
(05-12-2013 03:18 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Disney's version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It scared the shit out of me as a kid but now I absolutely adore it. This is probably cheating since I just wasn't expecting Disney to make a religious movie.

How is it religious? I haven't seen a "classic" Disney animated feature since, I think, The Lion King. I think that was the last one. I am not a big Disney fan, which is probably ironic since I went to school for animation among other things.

This is the signature.

05-12-2013, 08:36 AM
(05-12-2013 08:00 AM)Skeptic Gamer Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 03:18 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Disney's version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It scared the shit out of me as a kid but now I absolutely adore it. This is probably cheating since I just wasn't expecting Disney to make a religious movie.

How is it religious? I haven't seen a "classic" Disney animated feature since, I think, The Lion King. I think that was the last one. I am not a big Disney fan, which is probably ironic since I went to school for animation among other things.

Well every version of the Humpback of Notre Dame is religious. One of the main characters is a catholic priest and the Humpback lives in the bell tower of the cathedral.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-12-2013, 07:30 PM
The Fountain wasn't religious so much as just out there. I kinda liked it though.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Pleasantville. I love this movie. Also I'm not sure if the impression I got from it was intentional or accidental. Watch it and look for the clues.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2013, 10:06 AM
(05-12-2013 08:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 08:00 AM)Skeptic Gamer Wrote:  How is it religious? I haven't seen a "classic" Disney animated feature since, I think, The Lion King. I think that was the last one. I am not a big Disney fan, which is probably ironic since I went to school for animation among other things.

Well every version of the Humpback of Notre Dame is religious. One of the main characters is a catholic priest and the Humpback lives in the bell tower of the cathedral.

Oh okay. That doesn't seem all that unexpected, then.

This is the signature.

06-12-2013, 11:11 AM
The Man From Earth

It's a movie about a 14,000 year old man who is unable to die of cellular decay because of a unique genetic mutation. Ever since the invention of villages and cities, he has had to move every decade or so because people start to notice that he doesn't age at all. One day, somewhere around our time, he finally decides to tell his acquaintances the truth. Unsurprisingly, they don't believe him and some of them are even upset. After a lengthy explanation of his life, one of his friends asks him whether he met any important religious figures during his life. He tells them that he actually met Buddha and decided to teach his lessons in a varied form in the Middle East. I already anticipated it at this point, but it still came as a surprise that he then claimed to have been Jesus and that that everything he allegedly said about God was put into his mouth by other people.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
26-12-2013, 07:07 PM
The second season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex surprised me with the amount of religious imagery it suddenly introduced. I actually thought it worked really well.

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
27-12-2013, 03:28 PM
(04-12-2013 04:26 PM)Caveman Wrote:  The Book of Eli, in the end: it turns out it's a bible.

After this movie it really became clear that Denzel Washington is a religious fanatic. He refuses to work with atheists because they are untrustworthy.
Enough reason for me to never pay to see any movie of his anymore.

NOOOO! Not Denzel!!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
02-01-2014, 10:10 AM
(06-12-2013 11:11 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
The Man From Earth

It's a movie about a 14,000 year old man who is unable to die of cellular decay because of a unique genetic mutation. Ever since the invention of villages and cities, he has had to move every decade or so because people start to notice that he doesn't age at all. One day, somewhere around our time, he finally decides to tell his acquaintances the truth. Unsurprisingly, they don't believe him and some of them are even upset. After a lengthy explanation of his life, one of his friends asks him whether he met any important religious figures during his life. He tells them that he actually met Buddha and decided to teach his lessons in a varied form in the Middle East. I already anticipated it at this point, but it still came as a surprise that he then claimed to have been Jesus and that that everything he allegedly said about God was put into his mouth by other people.

I generally enjoyed that film, and didn't find that to be a religious theme as much as it served to crush religion--at the same time, though, I felt the film might have been better without this element. I liked it better when the guy was just unique and lived forever than when he also just happened to be the guy to spawn the Jesus legend. In my mind, this is the one element hurting my suspension of disbelief.

This is the signature.