Moving the Goalposts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 01:24 PM
RE: Moving the Goalposts
(07-01-2014 01:07 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  It’s funny to me to consider, I never get pissed off in these conversations, but they often do. Which betrays the strength of one’s position. You could tell me you don’t believe the speed of light has always been constant, and that doesn’t piss me off, but I tell them a “god” who orders the genocide of an entire people and the rape of its female girls, doesn’t sound like a loving “god”, and they get pissed.

You know, I can't count the times I have been accused of being angry by theist opponents. If they could only see how hard I am laughing....

[Image: Punctuation+_7252c96ea0264de2cf0e160c4e719a20.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
07-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Well, I've left him with a simple question...

Would he consider God as an explanation for existence, had he not grown up in a religious society?

Meaning, if he'd never heard of this "God" dude, and had all of modern scientific knowledge at his disposal, would he consider it a viable explanation?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2014, 02:27 PM
And what was his responce?

I bet he'd just not really truly consider the question, and simply say, "yes". Because it's easier to just say "yes", and that way he doesn't have to be wrong about anything.

...it's what they do...

07-01-2014, 02:33 PM
(07-01-2014 02:27 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  And what was his responce?

I bet he'd just not really truly consider the question, and simply say, "yes". Because it's easier to just say "yes", and that way he doesn't have to be wrong about anything.

...it's what they do...

Don't know yet... He hasn't responded yet.

Might take a while... This debate has been on and off for a few days.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
07-01-2014, 02:53 PM
(07-01-2014 10:05 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Just been in a debate with someone on a forum. Started as a discussion on the idea of an afterlife, but quickly turned into a debate about the existence of God.

What's infuriating is, that the guy I've been talking to has a very vague concept that he calls "God"... And that since he can't comprehend the universe existing without it, it therefore must exist.

Every argument I use he seems to just back into "we can never know that", "that's guesswork" etc... Everything I've hit him with is logically sound, and backed up by what is known to be fact. But he continues to insist that I'm "guessing".

Is there any point continuing this debate?
Yes, but not as a debate. You clearly don't speak the same language, you don't know what his G-word means. You need to teach him basic logic and semantics, maybe some gnoseology.
http://www.kau.edu.sa/Files/0001063/file...antics.pdf
It won't be a debate, it would be a charity, you as a free private tutor of philosophy. You'd be doing the work that school system in Finland probably does in second class elementary and everywhere else you've got to go on a private university to learn.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
07-01-2014, 03:28 PM
(07-01-2014 02:53 PM)Luminon Wrote:  You'd be doing the work that school system in Finland probably does in second class elementary and everywhere else you've got to go on a private university to learn.

Sad but fucking true.

Even our new self-proclaimed Professor and Resident Mor(m)on Double Master of Bullshittery hasn't the first idea of it.

07-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Well after a few more broadsides (civil and polite ones) from both sides, he's got bored I think.

This is how he summed up...

"Maybe like time itself, we're going around in circles. To me, existance and time are both proof of the supernatural. My logic isn't for you - fair enough."

That's not going anywhere really, so we've both ended it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
07-01-2014, 08:43 PM
(07-01-2014 08:04 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Well after a few more broadsides (civil and polite ones) from both sides, he's got bored I think.

"Maybe like time itself, we're going around in circles. To me, existance and time are both proof of the supernatural. My logic isn't for you - fair enough."

So he is retreating and refusing to admit defeat. NO surprise.

You know what they say about debating theists being like playing chess with a pigeon....

07-01-2014, 10:36 PM
(07-01-2014 08:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 08:04 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Well after a few more broadsides (civil and polite ones) from both sides, he's got bored I think.

So he is retreating and refusing to admit defeat. NO surprise.

You know what they say about debating theists being like playing chess with a pigeon....

Yeah, I suppose... I feel a bit guilty for talking about it on here.

Feels like I'm talking about him behind his back, cos he's a really nice bloke and all.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
07-01-2014, 10:56 PM
(07-01-2014 10:36 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 08:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  So he is retreating and refusing to admit defeat. NO surprise.

Yeah, I suppose... I feel a bit guilty for talking about it on here.

Feels like I'm talking about him behind his back, cos he's a really nice bloke and all.

NO need to, really. I understand, of course. You DIDN'T cheat, though. You just looked to all resources available to you.

Sure he's a nice bloke.

I now a lot of folks who are "nice blokes", but still batshit-crazy.

YMMV with degrees of BSC with your friends.