Moving to Dallas, Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 03:34 PM
RE: Moving to Dallas, Texas
(02-07-2013 03:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 10:02 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You were living in Portland Oregon then moved to Texas? Portland? Portlandia? Bicycle City? Then moved to Texas? You left this green, lush, laid back, "Keep Portland Weird" city and actually moved to hot, dry beige colored Texas?

From Portland I say, "So long". We can now continue to Keep Portland Weird. For those of you who may not know there are bumper stickers and signs all over Portland saying Keep Portland Weird and we try very had to uphold that motto.

If you were serious about that motto, you never wouldda let I∧I leave the city. Dude's as weird as they come. Tongue

No, he's not weird, he's terribly conformist. He hates anyone that doesn't fall into his neatly arranged groups and follows any theory that fits with his predetermined worldview. He is just a sad pathetic little man with an over-inflated view of himself and would be a bore to be around for any length of time.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-07-2013, 04:22 PM
(02-07-2013 03:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 03:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If you were serious about that motto, you never wouldda let I∧I leave the city. Dude's as weird as they come. Tongue

No, he's not weird, he's terribly conformist. He hates anyone that doesn't fall into his neatly arranged groups and follows any theory that fits with his predetermined worldview. He is just a sad pathetic little man with an over-inflated view of himself and would be a bore to be around for any length of time.

I'm pretty sure I seen I∧I in Portlandia. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-07-2013, 04:23 PM
(28-06-2013 02:53 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  According to the motorcycle forum Dallas is home to the worst drivers in the states. Apparently people in giant pickups just cut over 4 lanes at a time without the use of blinkers... Would all you Lonestaristas agree?

Can confirm, motorcyclist riding in DFW. I avoid anywhere between DFW airport to the north and I-20 to the south, typically skirting the city to get to the Granbury area or heading north towards 455 / Lewisville Lake.

(28-06-2013 04:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Don't believe everything you read...they have put too much money into them fancy trucks to take a risk like that.

It the crotch rocket riders that pop wheelies to run red lights and weave in and out of rush hour traffic that are the ones to watch...they be getting deaded all over the place.

Nope - I ride sane and pay far more attention to the road than the vast majority of drivers and I've had plenty of idiots try to merge into me, ride my tail, cut me off, start turning in front of me, etc. I don't ride anywhere near the downtown areas because I almost got hit too much when I did (for the first few months I lived here). I've never done a wheelie and have 0 tickets in 5 years of riding. The crazy riders are the ones that get themselves killed the most, but that's the same everywhere. It's still very dangerous for sane riders thanks to the poor driving of DFW residents and the idiotic layout of DFW's road system. Case in point:

[Image: MOlk72v.jpg]

183 & I-35 merger - they merge with no warning whatsoever, one highway is higher than the other so you have to crane your neck to see the other lane if your car has a low roof or sits low (my head is 1" from my roof). Whoever approved this was probably drunk at the time...
02-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I have a few DFW travel rules...stay away from 635 and 35, period, end of story. In fact, if the road ends with a 5, stay off it.

I watch for bikers. Have known too many in my life not to have respect for them on the road.

And don't think you are alone, it's amazing how many people seem not to see my RED car, they didn't see my black one either...I thought it was perhaps a stealth paint job. They just drive crazy here. But after last week in SC, I remember why I hated drivers there. UGH.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-07-2013, 05:41 PM
(02-07-2013 05:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I watch for bikers. Have known too many in my life not to have respect for them on the road.

Thanks for watching for us Smile I think my bike should be as noticeable as a bike can be - it's bright green and has stripes, two big bugeye headlights and I wear a white, black and red jacket. Too addicted to riding to stop, despite the danger Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
(02-07-2013 03:13 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 10:02 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You were living in Portland Oregon then moved to Texas? Portland? Portlandia? Bicycle City? Then moved to Texas? You left this green, lush, laid back, "Keep Portland Weird" city and actually moved to hot, dry beige colored Texas?

From Portland I say, "So long". We can now continue to Keep Portland Weird. For those of you who may not know there are bumper stickers and signs all over Portland saying Keep Portland Weird and we try very had to uphold that motto.

Laid back? Who is laid back in Portland? All the port landers I knew admitted to the fact that portlanders are high strung.

I honestly never met, saw, talked to anyone in Portland that was laid back.

You were hanging out with the wrong crowd then. Everyone I know is mellow, open minded, into hiking and the great outdoors. I'm guessing that somehow you attract the high strung types. One of the great things about Oregon is that it has fewer churches per capita than any other state. We're considered the Unchurch Belt. So yeah people here are laid back.

Anyway, have a good trip.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
02-07-2013, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 07:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-07-2013 05:41 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Thanks for watching for us Smile I think my bike should be as noticeable as a bike can be - it's bright green and has stripes, two big bugeye headlights and I wear a white, black and red jacket. Too addicted to riding to stop, despite the danger Tongue

Not sure the bugeyes and wild clothing matters. If the bike ain't wide enough, some fucker ain't gonna see me. ... Laid it down 3x on a bigass 1340cc LowRiider after establishing eye contact with some fool for at least 20 seconds before I ended up sliding under idiot's undercarriage as they pulled out in front of me. ... I won't get on the road with a motorcycle again unless it has a sidecar or is a trike. ... Fuck that, I'd stick to off-road in controlled environments if I wanted to go there again. Tongue

(02-07-2013 06:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So yeah people here are laid back.

My son, GirlyBoy lived in Ashland, OR while he was going to Uni at Southern State and they failed to pass a City Ordinance prohibiting nudity within 500' of an elementary school. ... Yup, there's laid back and then there's laid fuckin' out. ... don't think Maryland'd dick with Oregon there. Thumbsup He says the ones on bicycles still give him shivers to this day. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-07-2013, 07:30 AM
I've driven in Dallas and it's like a slow Sunday drive compared to the northeast. People from Dallas and Atlanta complain about driving and traffic like it's something special down there. Trust me, it's not. You know why no one watches NASCAR in corridor from DC to Boston? Because we live it every time we get into a car. When it comes to driving in the northeast, you have two types of pepole: the quick and the dead. You're quick, or you're dead. Commuting on I95 near Philly, or the NJ Turnpike, or pretty much anywhere in or near Boston means doing 75 - 85 mph with barely enough space between the car in front of or behind you for light to pass. Turn signals are optional and most people opt out of using them. Everyone drives like they have the right of way and merges are a total adventure because no one gives an inch. And, something like 40% of the US population lives in that small corridor so you can bet the traffic flow is extreme. You take your life in your hands every time you pull out of your driveway.

I have the added benefit of living outside Philadelphia, home of some of the worst fucking drivers on Earth. Something about Pennsylvania and people not being able to make a proper left turn. They always think they need to cut across the lane to do it. I've almost lost the front end of my car more times than I care to count since I moved here 5 years ago. NJ drivers are the best, though. We can change a radio station, send a text message and cross 5 lanes of traffic in bumper to bumper traffic at 80+ mph without scratching the paint on any car in the vicinity. It's a thing of beauty.

Regarding Portland, I spent a month there on business back in 2001, shortly before 9/11. Based on my experiences in both Portland and Dallas, anyone who leaves Portland for Dallas doesn't deserve to be in Portland. Portland is awesome. Dallas is just a flat, hot, boring metropolis with really high strung Christians. No thanks.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Hey! Knock off the Dallas... well, knocking. It is a great place to drive in, visit, shop, then praise the Lord. I go on occasion, mostly to go to a computer shop somewhere and, since it is about a hundred miles away, spend most of the day.

Then, I drive back home to my little rural town. And it's great. You know what it is like to be hot and sweaty, then jump into cool water. Most refreshing. Leaving Dallas is the same.

So, I get back in my home town where I have to negotiate two damned traffic lights and a stop sign, the street crowded with two or three cars in front of me, before I can crank it up to 75 to get home.

Then I thank a deity that I don't believe in that I don't live in that or any city. What I don't understand is how people living in those places consider themselves to be civilized. Civilized is at least a quarter mile between neighbors.
03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
(02-07-2013 06:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 05:41 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Thanks for watching for us Smile I think my bike should be as noticeable as a bike can be - it's bright green and has stripes, two big bugeye headlights and I wear a white, black and red jacket. Too addicted to riding to stop, despite the danger Tongue

Not sure the bugeyes and wild clothing matters. If the bike ain't wide enough, some fucker ain't gonna see me. ... Laid it down 3x on a bigass 1340cc LowRiider after establishing eye contact with some fool for at least 20 seconds before I ended up sliding under idiot's undercarriage as they pulled out in front of me. ... I won't get on the road with a motorcycle again unless it has a sidecar or is a trike. ... Fuck that, I'd stick to off-road in controlled environments if I wanted to go there again. Tongue

(02-07-2013 06:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So yeah people here are laid back.

My son, GirlyBoy lived in Ashland, OR while he was going to Uni at Southern State and they failed to pass a City Ordinance prohibiting nudity within 500' of an elementary school. ... Yup, there's laid back and then there's laid fuckin' out. ... don't think Maryland'd dick with Oregon there. Thumbsup He says the ones on bicycles still give him shivers to this day. Big Grin

Ha! I think I remember that ordinance thing. Ashland is a crazy place but has a world class Shakespeare Festival. We also have the hippie-dippie Oregon Country Fair where clothing is optional and the annual World's Naked Bike Ride in down town Portland. Did GirlyBoy go to any of those events?

Yeah, fewer churches and occasional nudity makes Portland pretty laid back. I &I might have been put out by the liberal crazyness around here and went to Texas. I'd last about one day in Texas.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”