"Mr. Trump"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2016, 05:26 PM
"Mr. Trump"
In an effort to become more informed about both sides of the political debate, I have been trying to read liberal media (the New York Times and The Nation) as well as conservative media (the National Review and the Weekly Standard). I have been noticing that the NYT always refers to Trump as "Mr. Trump", rather than "President Trump" or even "President-Elect Trump". I thought this might just be snarkiness on their part, or it might just be because he's not officially president yet. But then I noticed that the conservative publications do the same thing -- and Obama is also referred to as "Mr. Obama".

Has this always been the case? I've always thought that the proper way to refer to a president is President Bush, President Obama, President Trump, etc. What's with this "Mr." stuff?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-12-2016, 05:31 PM
RE: "Mr. Trump"
I'll be calling him the Liar in Chief, but Mr. is proper
14-12-2016, 05:34 PM
I prefer Mr. Future Federal Felon myself.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-12-2016, 05:40 PM
(14-12-2016 05:31 PM)julep Wrote:  I'll be calling him the Liar in Chief, but Mr. is proper

That's MR Liar in Chief, if you please! Geesh! Angry

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Personally I call him god.
14-12-2016, 07:21 PM
"Mr. Trump"
(14-12-2016 05:26 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  In an effort to become more informed about both sides of the political debate, I have been trying to read liberal media (the New York Times and The Nation) as well as conservative media (the National Review and the Weekly Standard). I have been noticing that the NYT always refers to Trump as "Mr. Trump", rather than "President Trump" or even "President-Elect Trump". I thought this might just be snarkiness on their part, or it might just be because he's not officially president yet. But then I noticed that the conservative publications do the same thing -- and Obama is also referred to as "Mr. Obama".

Has this always been the case? I've always thought that the proper way to refer to a president is President Bush, President Obama, President Trump, etc. What's with this "Mr." stuff?

To be fair the NYTimes refers to Obama frequently as Mr. Obama as well, and generally refer to him as President Obama at the beginning of their article, and use Mr. Obama or Obama in subsequent references.

An example: "The speech was intended as a valedictory answer to years of criticism from conservatives that Mr. Obama’s break with many of President George W. Bush’s policies — ending the torture of terrorism suspects and withdrawing most American ground forces from Afghanistan and Iraq — had left the country vulnerable. And many liberals have complained that Mr. Obama had betrayed his 2008 campaign supporters by acting too much like Mr. Bush in continuing and even expanding some policies, such as targeted killings using drones.

Mr. Obama gave the speech at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Fla., home to the military’s Central Command and Special Operations Command, both of which have been crucial to his fight against terrorism and efforts to wind down the wars fought since Sept. 11, 2001."

I'd imagine it all has to do with the sound of it. Having to continually read the term president Obama, starts to sound a bit tedious after awhile. Mr. Trump/Mr. Obama sounds a bit more pleasant when used continuously.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
15-12-2016, 07:05 AM
"Mr. Trump"
Let's go back to using, his Excellently

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-12-2016, 07:38 AM
I think the protocol is either "President [last name]" or "Mr. President".

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-12-2016, 07:57 AM
I usually just call Obama by his last name so I'll just keep doing the same for Trump.

☆☆☆
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
15-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Dear Leader Trump

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post