Mr. Woodpecker, c'mere, please. I need to show you something.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 01:01 PM
RE: Mr. Woodpecker, c'mere, please. I need to show you something.
(28-04-2014 12:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:15 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  If you own a shotgun and don't have neighbors anywhere close by, load it with some fine bird shot and then scare the bird off your house before firing. Problem solved.

I'm assuming you've never tried to shoot a bird the size of your palm, 15 to 30 feet away all while it was flying have you?

Despite the spread of a shotgun, this is an insanely difficult shot.

I've nailed a bat from about that distance at dusk before. It took 2 shots, but it wasn't a particularly difficult shot. Only slightly more difficult that shooting clays when you don't know when they'll be released.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2014, 01:04 PM
(28-04-2014 01:01 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm assuming you've never tried to shoot a bird the size of your palm, 15 to 30 feet away all while it was flying have you?

Despite the spread of a shotgun, this is an insanely difficult shot.

I've nailed a bat from about that distance at dusk before. It took 2 shots, but it wasn't a particularly difficult shot. Only slightly more difficult that shooting clays when you don't know when they'll be released.

Then you're better with a shotgun than me.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-04-2014, 01:08 PM
(28-04-2014 01:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 01:01 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I've nailed a bat from about that distance at dusk before. It took 2 shots, but it wasn't a particularly difficult shot. Only slightly more difficult that shooting clays when you don't know when they'll be released.

Then you're better with a shotgun than me.

That's why I practice a lot.

Do you have a pellet gun? You could shoot the fucker while he's still on your house with that, just gotta be sneaky so you don't scare him off. That should be a reasonably easy shot from 10yds.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
28-04-2014, 01:17 PM
(28-04-2014 01:08 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 01:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Then you're better with a shotgun than me.

That's why I practice a lot.

Do you have a pellet gun? You could shoot the fucker while he's still on your house with that, just gotta be sneaky so you don't scare him off. That should be a reasonably easy shot from 10yds.

My dad has a Daisy. I could get it. Might be the best thing too... kinda feel bad about killing it since he really isn't doing anything but being annoying. The Daisy would probably not be lethal.

28-04-2014, 01:25 PM
(28-04-2014 10:26 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  ...
I have 3 boomerangs I bought from a tribe in Australia. I'll ship you one Tongue

Everybody sing:

"... and mark upon it
return to sender..."

(28-04-2014 01:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...
kinda feel bad about killing it

Fucking right!

You move into its neighbourhood.
You take away its food source
You play a practical joke on it with your fake wood (read that however you like)
Then you want to shoot it for doing what god designed it to do!?!?!

First it was them Injuns
Then the snakes
Then the perdy birdies.
What's next?

Oh, never mind, if you miss the shot or you take its head off, so what... all part of god's predestined plan, right?

FFS!

Angry

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
28-04-2014, 01:26 PM
(28-04-2014 01:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 01:08 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  That's why I practice a lot.

My dad has a Daisy. I could get it. Might be the best thing too... kinda feel bad about killing it since he really isn't doing anything but being annoying. The Daisy would probably not be lethal.

If you don't want it to be lethal, don't pump the thing more than a few times. A friend of mine lives in a place were despite having 30 acres, it's illegal to discharge a firearm on his property. BB guns can be quite deadly to small creatures, and birds are especially fragile. He has killed several birds that have tried to nest in his chimney with regular BBs.

I would recommend killing the thing. First, most birds are incredibly stupid and will just come back. Second, and more critical, is that you can't know what kind of damage you may have done to the bird if you don't kill it. You may wound it badly enough that it will be disabled, but not bad enough to kill it. The bird will then starve to death or get eaten by a predator. Sometimes killing the creature outright is the best way to go.

28-04-2014, 01:28 PM
(28-04-2014 01:26 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 01:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My dad has a Daisy. I could get it. Might be the best thing too... kinda feel bad about killing it since he really isn't doing anything but being annoying. The Daisy would probably not be lethal.

If you don't want it to be lethal, don't pump the thing more than a few times. A friend of mine lives in a place were despite having 30 acres, it's illegal to discharge a firearm on his property. BB guns can be quite deadly to small creatures, and birds are especially fragile. He has killed several birds that have tried to nest in his chimney with regular BBs.

I would recommend killing the thing. First, most birds are incredibly stupid and will just come back. Second, and more critical, is that you can't know what kind of damage you may have done to the bird if you don't kill it. You may wound it badly enough that it will be disabled, but not bad enough to kill it. The bird will then starve to death or get eaten by a predator. Sometimes killing the creature outright is the best way to go.

True. But, you can't pump a Daisy.

28-04-2014, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2014 01:38 PM by itsnotmeitsyou.)
(28-04-2014 01:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 01:26 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  If you don't want it to be lethal, don't pump the thing more than a few times. A friend of mine lives in a place were despite having 30 acres, it's illegal to discharge a firearm on his property. BB guns can be quite deadly to small creatures, and birds are especially fragile. He has killed several birds that have tried to nest in his chimney with regular BBs.

True. But, you can't pump a Daisy.

Huh

I own 2 Daisy air rifles, both pump.

Edit: You didn't specify what type of Daisy he has. Daisy does make a spring action carbine, which is what I am assuming you're talking about now (after getting over my brain fart). They make many pump models as well as CO2 models.
If it's the spring loaded one, yeah, I don't think that one will be lethal. Thumbsup

28-04-2014, 01:41 PM
(28-04-2014 01:32 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 01:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  True. But, you can't pump a Daisy.

Huh

Edit: You didn't specify what type of Daisy he has. Daisy does make a spring action carbine, which is what I am assuming you're talking about now (after getting over my brain fart). They make many pump models as well as CO2 models.
If it's the spring loaded one, yeah, I don't think that one will be lethal. Thumbsup

lol my bad.

It's the "A Christmas Story" one that they sell in Walmart during Christmas. Yeah, it's the spring loaded one.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
28-04-2014, 01:46 PM
(28-04-2014 01:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 01:32 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Huh

lol my bad.

It's the "A Christmas Story" one that they sell in Walmart during Christmas. Yeah, it's the spring loaded one.

yeah, that one probably won't do more than scare/piss the bird off unless you get a really lucky shot. I don't have much knowledge of woodpeckers, so I don't know if it will figure out that your house = ouchie or if it will forget and come back.

Shoot it with the Daisy and see. If it keeps coming back, get a more powerful air rifle and take it out. If not, everyone wins, even the bird. Mostly.