Mr. Woodpecker, c'mere, please. I need to show you something.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 02:35 PM
RE: Mr. Woodpecker, c'mere, please. I need to show you something.
(28-04-2014 02:17 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  BTW IIRC woodpeckers are protected. You can't just go shooting any ol' bird.

Nah, as long as you yell, "It's coming straight for me!" it's okay to shoot it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The Interwebz is a wonderful thing. Here are some ideas...that don't include explosions or death.

How to Stop Woodpeckers from Pecking Siding or Houses
There are various strategies for stopping woodpecker damage from frightening devices to barriers. Some strategies are more successful than others at stopping woodpeckers from pecking.

Stopping Woodpeckers from Pecking - Frightening Woodpeckers with Noise
I have run out on the deck and clapped my hands loudly to stop woodpeckers pecking at siding, but they just fly away for a few moments, diligently returning. Loud noises temporarily work, and if repeated often enough may stop woodpeckers from pecking. However, if woodpecker already has their territory established, noise is much less effective. You may have seen ultrasonic devices for stopping woodpeckers from pecking, but in my experience these do not work. Various neighbors of mine have also had zero results from these as well.

Stopping Woodpeckers from Pecking - Frightening Woodpeckers with Visuals
Stationary Owls and other predators mounted on your siding generally don't work to stop woodpeckers from pecking at siding or your house. The woodpeckers quickly become accustomed to them and realize they are not real. Moving visuals work better to stop woodpeckers from pecking. Reflective pinwheels, black mylar strips attached so they can blow in the wind, or dangling a pie tin can all work to stop woodpeckers from pecking, but are not very attractive. One idea that I found in our local newsletter this spring was to attach a 7.5 inch magnifying shaving mirror to the area where our woodpecker pecks. So far, this has been successful in stopping our woodpecker from pecking the siding and house this spring.

Stopping Woodpeckers from Pecking - Woodpecker Barriers
Speciality netting is available to stop woodpeckers from pecking at areas below your eves. One place to buy online is at Bird-x.com. Attach to your eves and angle down onto your siding, leaving at least three inches to stop woodpeckers from pecking through the netting. You can also apply aluminum flashing to where woodpeckers peck, although they may move over to peck another place, requiring extension of the flashing.

Stopping Woodpeckers from pecking - Alternative food source
You can try putting a bird feeder stocked with suet on your house or another place in your yard to help prevent woodpecker pecking at your siding. This may help prevent the damage from woodpeckers pecking for food, but they often will still drum to establish territory and attract mates. If woodpeckers are pecking for food in siding, you may have a carpenter bee problem or some other insect problem. Contact a pest control professional to inspect your siding and spray if necessary.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
(28-04-2014 02:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 02:19 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  ...
DLJ, why? How does getting rid of a pest make us insane? The problem isn't the mere presence of the bird. If it were just knocking on a tree in the yard, it probably wouldn't bother KC as much and wouldn't need removed. However, when it's constantly pecking at your aluminum siding, it is a pest and needs to be removed. A bird post isn't going to do anything to stop it from pecking the house.

I think you are missing my point.

I'm saying that KC is the pest and the bird should have the right to bare arms (although I guess it would incapable of flight if it had) or whatever it says in that constipation document.

Dodgy

Sorry, my sense of humor seems to be broken at the moment.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
28-04-2014, 02:49 PM
(28-04-2014 02:35 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  ...

That must be annoying.

Maybe you should shoot it?

Tongue

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
28-04-2014, 03:02 PM
(28-04-2014 02:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 02:35 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  ...

That must be annoying.

Maybe you should shoot it?

Tongue

As soon as I get home, I plan on doing a lot of shooting... of whatever the highest proof liquor is currently in my cabinet. That'll show it. Wink

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
28-04-2014, 03:15 PM
No shoot birdie! Put up wood siding Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-04-2014, 03:17 PM
I had actually thought of suggesting a mirror, was surprised to see it listed in the article. If woodpeckers are anything like parrots they may fall in love with their reflection but at least they won't try to peck it to pieces.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-04-2014, 03:37 PM
How far does hairspray and a lighter shoot?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-04-2014, 03:45 PM
has anyone suggested a super soaker yet?

you could shoot it in a fun way Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-04-2014, 04:33 PM
(28-04-2014 03:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  How far does hairspray and a lighter shoot?

3-5 feet, or so I've heard.