Mt. St Helens "mini grand canyon"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Mt. St Helens "mini grand canyon"
I'm in a conversation with an idiot creationist who believes that the eruption of Mt. St. Helens created a mini grand canyon in one day therefore it's proof the Grand Canyon could have also been created during the biblical flood. My response to this is that the material on Mt. St Helens "canyon" is carved out through ash, mud and dirt which can be moved even with ones' own hand whereas the Grand Canyon is granite and sandstone and hundreds of layers of very dense rock. Big difference. I've seen this so called Mt St Helens canyon in person.

Here it is.

[Image: S42.jpg]

It's rather soft to the touch amid rocks that were part of the explosion.

I live near Mt St Helens, I've driven up there and my husband recently climbed up the damn thing. Its covered with 100 to 300 feet of ash, mud and debris in some places it's even deeper.

Does anyone have a link to good geological study of this so called canyon? All I'm finding is the creationist crap.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: Mt. St Helens "mini grand canyon"
Your pic is from the USGS I would think that's the best place to look for real science on the subject.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
04-09-2014, 07:39 PM
(04-09-2014 07:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  Your pic is from the USGS I would think that's the best place to look for real science on the subject.

I've looked at the USGS and haven't found much of anything debunking this nonsense. I mean look at the damn photo I posted and compare it with the Grand Canyon! Anyone who has even the slightest amount of logic can see how small this "canyon " is, but apparently not the dumb ass creationists.

I can't get over how much the creationists have used this small canyon to promote the biblical flood myth. Almost every web site regarding this mini canyon of Mt St Helens is a creationist site.

04-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Try using different search terms? Try to stay away from "mini canyon"... maybe search Mt. St. Helens mudslides, or mudflows.
04-09-2014, 10:12 PM
(04-09-2014 08:00 PM)pablo Wrote:  Try using different search terms? Try to stay away from "mini canyon"... maybe search Mt. St. Helens mudslides, or mudflows.

The best I'm finding is from Wikipedia. It's obvious that the ash and mud flow in photos from the event was soft and liquidy, almost like dough. THe location of the so called canyon is, which I've seen by the way, is an ash, pumice mix which is easily moved around by water. There is no comparison to the Grand Canyon. It's absolutely ludicrous.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-09-2014, 10:46 PM
I was just thinking there might be a documentary site that has something.
05-09-2014, 05:42 AM

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-09-2014, 09:14 AM
(05-09-2014 05:42 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

Thanks for the video. I also found this...

http://www.noanswersingenesis.org.au/mt_...ite_kh.htm

But of course it doesn't matter if I return to this idiot and show him all kinds of evidence and the correct dating of the rocks, he probably thinks all scientists are in a conspiracy to shut down religion so the scientific evidence is skewed from the get-go.

I'll do it anyway and tell him he's non compos mentis (not of sound mind) and an asshole......just because.

05-09-2014, 02:09 PM
I applaud your efforts SYTYCD but don't hold out hope for the brainwashed, remember this:

The backfire effect predicts that if you present some people with evidence that contradicts their strongly held beliefs it will reinforce their existing opinions, rather than changing them.
~Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-09-2014, 03:25 PM
(05-09-2014 02:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I applaud your efforts SYTYCD but don't hold out hope for the brainwashed, remember this:

The backfire effect predicts that if you present some people with evidence that contradicts their strongly held beliefs it will reinforce their existing opinions, rather than changing them.
~Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler

I attempt to show them the facts in a simple manner. I try to not call them names, except under my breath. I work very hard to be patient with their willful ignorance knowing that in most cases they'll close their minds almost immediately. I eventually give up and hope they have major, unfixable infertility.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post