Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist
Hi Everyone,

I noticed something recently that I have noticed within myself, I'm much happier now as an Atheist than I ever was as a Christian.

It's hard to explain its almost as if a giant weight has been lifted off my mind, that I can actually freely express my nature and who I am and my love for knowledge and science, rather than trying to suppress thoughts, actions and knowledge that were classified as sin I was always afraid of eternal damnation of being burned alive forever or just ending because I had a lustful thought, or used the name of god in vain to name a few. I consider myself a moral person as I want to treat people right and help them.

My relationships with my sisters and my Best buddy have strengthened, my sisters have watched the shackles fall from my mind, and me being true to myself has made me much more genuine to my friends which has made me closer to them as well which is what I've wanted all along. To have true relationships that actually exist.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Worom's post
12-05-2015, 06:02 PM
RE: Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist
It's amazing how much more fulfilling and satisfying your life becomes once you fully claim responsibility for it. It's not that it gets easier, but the sun is that much brighter and the rain tastes that much sweeter. No one can tell you how to experience it anymore, that experience is all yours.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
12-05-2015, 06:02 PM
(12-05-2015 05:53 PM)Worom Wrote:  Hi Everyone,

I noticed something recently that I have noticed within myself, I'm much happier now as an Atheist than I ever was as a Christian.

It's hard to explain its almost as if a giant weight has been lifted off my mind, that I can actually freely express my nature and who I am and my love for knowledge and science, rather than trying to suppress thoughts, actions and knowledge that were classified as sin I was always afraid of eternal damnation of being burned alive forever or just ending because I had a lustful thought, or used the name of god in vain to name a few. I consider myself a moral person as I want to treat people right and help them.

My relationships with my sisters and my Best buddy have strengthened, my sisters have watched the shackles fall from my mind, and me being true to myself has made me much more genuine to my friends which has made me closer to them as well which is what I've wanted all along. To have true relationships that actually exist.

I know what you mean: being a christian impacted everything I did. I always felt the need to check in with god to make sure I was making the right decisions *by him* (like you are taught to do in the church). It definitely impacted my relationship with other people--including my ex boyfriend and put a lot of strain on our relationship. Now that I am an atheist, I see things so much clearer and I make decisions based on what I want to do and not what a magical sky god would want me to do. It's kind of like relearning who you are as a person all over again.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
12-05-2015, 06:28 PM
(12-05-2015 06:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I know what you mean: being a christian impacted everything I did. I always felt the need to check in with god to make sure I was making the right decisions *by him* (like you are taught to do in the church). It definitely impacted my relationship with other people--including my ex boyfriend and put a lot of strain on our relationship. Now that I am an atheist, I see things so much clearer and I make decisions based on what I want to do and not what a magical sky god would want me to do. It's kind of like relearning who you are as a person all over again.

Exactly, I used be pray to God and ask to get the job I applied for, or for someone to get better, or ask is this your plan for me. And whenever I wouldn't get something it would be well it wasn't in gods plan. Or its not time for you to get that yet. Or even with accomplishments I would thank God for it and give him credit, rather than giving credit to those that helped me or to myself. Got a new job, its because god wanted you to. got a big bonus god wanted you to. and that is only scratching the surface. Fixed a problem with the help or your team or friends because god wanted it to happen that way.

I can't believe I used to think that way, even now I still catch my mind trying to go off in that direction from time to time, the wounds run deep.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
12-05-2015, 06:38 PM
(12-05-2015 06:28 PM)Worom Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 06:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I know what you mean: being a christian impacted everything I did. I always felt the need to check in with god to make sure I was making the right decisions *by him* (like you are taught to do in the church). It definitely impacted my relationship with other people--including my ex boyfriend and put a lot of strain on our relationship. Now that I am an atheist, I see things so much clearer and I make decisions based on what I want to do and not what a magical sky god would want me to do. It's kind of like relearning who you are as a person all over again.

Exactly, I used be pray to God and ask to get the job I applied for, or for someone to get better, or ask is this your plan for me. And whenever I wouldn't get something it would be well it wasn't in gods plan. Or its not time for you to get that yet. Or even with accomplishments I would thank God for it and give him credit, rather than giving credit to those that helped me or to myself. Got a new job, its because god wanted you to. got a big bonus god wanted you to. and that is only scratching the surface. Fixed a problem with the help or your team or friends because god wanted it to happen that way.

I can't believe I used to think that way, even now I still catch my mind trying to go off in that direction from time to time, the wounds run deep.

I used to pray all the time too. Everything that did/did not happen in my life was all due to God's plan. It is nice to be able to see the world the way it really is and not wrapped up in some delusion.
12-05-2015, 06:41 PM
(12-05-2015 06:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  It's amazing how much more fulfilling and satisfying your life becomes once you fully claim responsibility for it. It's not that it gets easier, but the sun is that much brighter and the rain tastes that much sweeter. No one can tell you how to experience it anymore, that experience is all yours.

That was very poetic Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-05-2015, 06:51 PM
(12-05-2015 06:41 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 06:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  It's amazing how much more fulfilling and satisfying your life becomes once you fully claim responsibility for it. It's not that it gets easier, but the sun is that much brighter and the rain tastes that much sweeter. No one can tell you how to experience it anymore, that experience is all yours.

That was very poetic Thumbsup

That was my first thought.
Lots of is and little ought
And not a crime
That it didn't rhyme.

I'm now seriously considering becoming a christian so that I can then deconvert and then I'd be able to enjoy the same sense of freedom.

Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
12-05-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm much happier that there's one less Christian running loose out there. Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
16-06-2015, 05:56 PM
The biggest improvement in my life has been a roughly 99% reduction in cognitive dissonance.

Now that my life doesn't have a preconceived story arc it's "supposed" to follow, I no longer ask the "why me" or "what did I do wrong" types of questions. It's more "why not me". I simply note my situation and adjust as necessary. I'm far less disappointed, frustrated, rigid, and inflexible. I'm far less attached to particular outcomes. All this, despite that there are still some compartmentalized thought-habits that get me into difficulty here and there. The world is not a friendly place for idealists, and the jury is still out on whether I tend to be idealistic because of religion or if I was religious because I was idealistic. Probably some of both. But the worst of the impedance mismatch between experienced reality and doctrine / dogma is gone, and it has been a TREMENDOUS relief.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
17-06-2015, 07:24 AM
I feel the same way. Personally, I think that my marriage is way stronger because it is godless. Not too sure how it got that way to be honest but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post