Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2015, 06:00 PM
RE: Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist
(01-07-2015 05:49 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Anyone visibly seen carrying their Bible around could be almost guaranteed to be a child molester or rapist.

Do you have any impressions if any were bible-thumping as a cover to get better treatment or even just as a shield against retaliation from other prisoners?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2015, 06:38 PM
I am sure it is cover at first, but I came to the realization as I observed them over time that the motivation for their intensity is much more disturbing.

Rapists (and don't fool yourselves, child molesters are rapists too), seek control of people who cannot resist them. Molesters, in particular, tend to "groom" their victims before the actual offense occurs, using words and ideas to make the victim pliable to their approach.... the Vulnerable falling to the Predator. It is why normal people feel such revulsion for that type, even among otherwise "horrible criminals" of other types, in the prison population.

By using the mind-manipulation tactics of religion, they gain a similar sort of (albeit usually non-sexual) control over the ones to whom they "minister". Once you realize what's going on, and see it occurring, it can literally make you feel like you're going to vomit.

The closest I came to actually assaulting someone in there was when I saw a guy we called "Reverend Yum-Yum" (yumyums = a common name for candy bought on the canteen, in prison lingo, thus implying he gave candy to kids) slide up on a 19 year old kid whose wife had just divorced him, when the guy could not stop himself from crying in the view of everyone in the dayroom. Reverend YumYum was a preacher who got 20 years for pimping his grandkids out on Craigslist (we looked him up), and when I heard him sliiiiide up to tell the guy about "the love of Jesus", I went into a literal shrieking rage and hurled invective on him, despite the danger of being sent to the Hole for "hate crime" against the ChoMo. (Prison regs protect them; it's why they don't get stabbed much, anymore.) He kept telling me how I was "damned to hell" and a "damned liar", even though I had read his record for myself, having had a friend mail me a printoff from online. Matter of fact, it dawns on me, I can show you all about him:

Go to case.net (or site below) and look up 11R019703097-01 - ST V GARY H SANTSCHI

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/charges.do

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Well... that shut 'em down. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-08-2015, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2015 06:18 PM by Octapulse.)
I couldn't help reading COTW's posts without thinking of this:

[Image: 57127264.jpg]

[Image: fark_sH2rzhpOHyv5svAYrvqD6Ze38GQ.jpg?t=i...1440388800]

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
22-10-2015, 12:51 AM
OP, I'm glad that you're happier. I can't even pinpoint when exactly I made the transition but, I feel better too. [Image: 6284218693_5ca86a9f6b_zps1c1ehhji.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Captain Congo's post
13-11-2015, 12:42 AM
(01-07-2015 06:38 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The closest I came to actually assaulting someone in there was when I saw a guy we called "Reverend Yum-Yum" (yumyums = a common name for candy bought on the canteen, in prison lingo, thus implying he gave candy to kids) slide up on a 19 year old kid whose wife had just divorced him, when the guy could not stop himself from crying in the view of everyone in the dayroom. Reverend YumYum was a preacher who got 20 years for pimping his grandkids out on Craigslist (we looked him up), and when I heard him sliiiiide up to tell the guy about "the love of Jesus", I went into a literal shrieking rage and hurled invective on him, despite the danger of being sent to the Hole for "hate crime" against the ChoMo.

Reading your post gave me flashbacks to some pastor at a childhood friend's church (Mennonite, I think). She went there regularly but I wasn't into religion back then either and usually went to a local church with family members because I had to go. I had stayed overnight at her house and she wanted to go to her church the following Sunday, so off we went. Anyway, that Sunday after the service the pastor was talking to me about the church I (unwillingly) went to, and then he offered us both candy. Undecided

I have a horrible memory and can remember very little of my average, mostly uneventful childhood, but I can remember that creepy pastor. Even as a young kid I thought he was offering me candy in an attempt to get me to return to his church, and my UNcomfort level went through the roof. I remember just wanting to get out of that place. Of course I never went back.

The guy didn't try to physically assault us or anything like that, but it seemed to me even as young kid at the time that he was trying to use candy to influence my religious choices. Little did he know I thought church was pointless.

Even worse it was some hard candy. He at least could've offered some chocolate....
13-11-2015, 04:19 AM
(13-11-2015 12:42 AM)smeli Wrote:  
(01-07-2015 06:38 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The closest I came to actually assaulting someone in there was when I saw a guy we called "Reverend Yum-Yum" (yumyums = a common name for candy bought on the canteen, in prison lingo, thus implying he gave candy to kids) slide up on a 19 year old kid whose wife had just divorced him, when the guy could not stop himself from crying in the view of everyone in the dayroom. Reverend YumYum was a preacher who got 20 years for pimping his grandkids out on Craigslist (we looked him up), and when I heard him sliiiiide up to tell the guy about "the love of Jesus", I went into a literal shrieking rage and hurled invective on him, despite the danger of being sent to the Hole for "hate crime" against the ChoMo.

Reading your post gave me flashbacks to some pastor at a childhood friend's church (Mennonite, I think). She went there regularly but I wasn't into religion back then either and usually went to a local church with family members because I had to go. I had stayed overnight at her house and she wanted to go to her church the following Sunday, so off we went. Anyway, that Sunday after the service the pastor was talking to me about the church I (unwillingly) went to, and then he offered us both candy. Undecided

I have a horrible memory and can remember very little of my average, mostly uneventful childhood, but I can remember that creepy pastor. Even as a young kid I thought he was offering me candy in an attempt to get me to return to his church, and my UNcomfort level went through the roof. I remember just wanting to get out of that place. Of course I never went back.

The guy didn't try to physically assault us or anything like that, but it seemed to me even as young kid at the time that he was trying to use candy to influence my religious choices. Little did he know I thought church was pointless.

Even worse it was some hard candy. He at least could've offered some chocolate....

No

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
13-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Events like that implant on your brain's hard drive. They are very hard to erase.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
18-11-2015, 09:56 PM
As a newbie I'm super late to this thread, but I wanted to add my two cents since this particular topic is obviously the reason we're all here.

Its funny to finally call myself an atheist when I've struggled with the fact that I've been one my whole life while being raised in a semi-fundementalist Southern Baptist household. I don't feel as though I was ever really intentionally indoctrinated, but the fear of hell, if not god, was certainly struck in me from an early point in my life. Many people argue that this is child abuse, and while I see and maybe even agree with that ideology mostly, I don't feel as though the belief of hell was ever intended to harm or frighten me, it was simply another perceived truth of those responsible for my upbringing.

The funny thing is that I tried to believe in the Christian god, to love Jesus, etc. etc. but I just couldn't. It was incomprehensible to me to not only have to love, but WANT to love someone that I hadn't even met. As a child I'd always wanted to point out that I was taught not to trust strangers, but this 'Jesus guy' was supposed to be legit because a book said so? Couldn't anyone say as much and be equally viable?

I still, to this day, keep my convictions to myself on the matter. My grandparents who raised me are good and loving people, but they wouldn't understand my way of thinking. After years of being pressured into going to Church, and years of private religious schools, it's nice to finally realize that I was always an atheist and to be comfortable enough with myself to admit it. It's strange how stressful something so simple should be, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments." - Christopher Hitchens

Check out my blog here
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenius's post
18-11-2015, 11:08 PM
I don't remember my parents pushing religion on me at all. My dad says he's an agnostic since he doesn't know 100% that there isn't a god, only because he can't prove that there isn't. Well, that's pretty much an atheist IMO, since nobody could actually prove it. I think my mom believes in an afterlife or something, but isn't overly religious at all. I think its mainly because my grandpa died years ago, and she thinks that she's seen angels or something because of it. Anyways, my grandparents liked to take me to Sunday school once in a while. I hated it, and didn't really see the point in going to a building and listening to some guy drone on and on about silly stories that were (to me anyways) completely ridiculous. So I've pretty much always been an atheist, and have never been depressed or anything. That's good, right?