Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 11:10 PM
RE: Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist
(18-11-2015 09:56 PM)Diogenius Wrote:  As a newbie I'm super late to this thread, but I wanted to add my two cents since this particular topic is obviously the reason we're all here.

Its funny to finally call myself an atheist when I've struggled with the fact that I've been one my whole life while being raised in a semi-fundementalist Southern Baptist household. I don't feel as though I was ever really intentionally indoctrinated, but the fear of hell, if not god, was certainly struck in me from an early point in my life. Many people argue that this is child abuse, and while I see and maybe even agree with that ideology mostly, I don't feel as though the belief of hell was ever intended to harm or frighten me, it was simply another perceived truth of those responsible for my upbringing.

The funny thing is that I tried to believe in the Christian god, to love Jesus, etc. etc. but I just couldn't. It was incomprehensible to me to not only have to love, but WANT to love someone that I hadn't even met. As a child I'd always wanted to point out that I was taught not to trust strangers, but this 'Jesus guy' was supposed to be legit because a book said so? Couldn't anyone say as much and be equally viable?

I still, to this day, keep my convictions to myself on the matter. My grandparents who raised me are good and loving people, but they wouldn't understand my way of thinking. After years of being pressured into going to Church, and years of private religious schools, it's nice to finally realize that I was always an atheist and to be comfortable enough with myself to admit it. It's strange how stressful something so simple should be, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

I remember asking my grandmother if she loved god more than she loved me, and she said yes. I was like "WTF, REALLY?" lol. She was old and set in her ways though, so I didn't try to argue with her about religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2015, 03:19 PM
(18-11-2015 11:08 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  So I've pretty much always been an atheist, and have never been depressed or anything. That's good, right?

Yes that's good. Smile Atheists can lead happy, healthy, normal lives just like any theists.

My mom is the same as yours although mine goes to church occasionally. My dad believes there's a god, and we had a discussion about religion (which is rare) recently where he mentioned he believed in god. This was over the phone so I was glad he couldn't see my puzzled reaction. I've become so comfortable with my own atheism that to hear one of my parents actually say they believe in a god is a bit shocking.

I had the same attitude as you when I was a child and had to go to church and Sunday school, where they talked about a large boat that safely carried 2 of every species of animal while rain water flooded the earth and killed everything else, and of course the story about the dude who lived for days in the stomach of a whale. As a young child I remember thinking it was all so stupid, but I had to go. I was becoming agnostic as a child and remained that until I allowed myself to realize I was an atheist.

It saddens me that people still brainwash young minds with that garbage. I wonder how many children would become religious if they were allowed to decide on their own whether to follow any religions.

I'm glad you escaped. Big Grin
21-11-2015, 03:24 PM
(12-05-2015 06:38 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 06:28 PM)Worom Wrote:  Exactly, I used be pray to God and ask to get the job I applied for, or for someone to get better, or ask is this your plan for me. And whenever I wouldn't get something it would be well it wasn't in gods plan. Or its not time for you to get that yet. Or even with accomplishments I would thank God for it and give him credit, rather than giving credit to those that helped me or to myself. Got a new job, its because god wanted you to. got a big bonus god wanted you to. and that is only scratching the surface. Fixed a problem with the help or your team or friends because god wanted it to happen that way.

I can't believe I used to think that way, even now I still catch my mind trying to go off in that direction from time to time, the wounds run deep.

I used to pray all the time too. Everything that did/did not happen in my life was all due to God's plan. It is nice to be able to see the world the way it really is and not wrapped up in some delusion.

I was once in the hospital after a car wreck and a preacher came in and assured me it must be part of God's plan, so I asked him if I was doing wrong by trying to get healed if God wanted me to be all broken up.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
21-11-2015, 11:04 PM
(18-11-2015 11:10 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 09:56 PM)Diogenius Wrote:  As a newbie I'm super late to this thread, but I wanted to add my two cents since this particular topic is obviously the reason we're all here.

Its funny to finally call myself an atheist when I've struggled with the fact that I've been one my whole life while being raised in a semi-fundementalist Southern Baptist household. I don't feel as though I was ever really intentionally indoctrinated, but the fear of hell, if not god, was certainly struck in me from an early point in my life. Many people argue that this is child abuse, and while I see and maybe even agree with that ideology mostly, I don't feel as though the belief of hell was ever intended to harm or frighten me, it was simply another perceived truth of those responsible for my upbringing.

The funny thing is that I tried to believe in the Christian god, to love Jesus, etc. etc. but I just couldn't. It was incomprehensible to me to not only have to love, but WANT to love someone that I hadn't even met. As a child I'd always wanted to point out that I was taught not to trust strangers, but this 'Jesus guy' was supposed to be legit because a book said so? Couldn't anyone say as much and be equally viable?

I still, to this day, keep my convictions to myself on the matter. My grandparents who raised me are good and loving people, but they wouldn't understand my way of thinking. After years of being pressured into going to Church, and years of private religious schools, it's nice to finally realize that I was always an atheist and to be comfortable enough with myself to admit it. It's strange how stressful something so simple should be, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

I remember asking my grandmother if she loved god more than she loved me, and she said yes. I was like "WTF, REALLY?" lol. She was old and set in her ways though, so I didn't try to argue with her about religion.

Ooh, I'm kind of glad I never thought to ask that. I was still a pretty sensitive child, that probably would have shattered me Sad I'm about the same honestly. My grandparents are starting to sense that I've drifted away from it, so somehow a religious show always happens to find its way on TV when I'm there (or Fox news comes on...currently I'm not sure which is worse) and its always upsetting. I know they mean well but these days it's just making more arguments during a time where I just want to appreciate their company before they're gone.

"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments." - Christopher Hitchens

Check out my blog here
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenius's post
27-11-2015, 07:15 AM
(12-05-2015 05:53 PM)Worom Wrote:  Hi Everyone,

I noticed something recently that I have noticed within myself, I'm much happier now as an Atheist than I ever was as a Christian.

It's hard to explain its almost as if a giant weight has been lifted off my mind, that I can actually freely express my nature and who I am and my love for knowledge and science, rather than trying to suppress thoughts, actions and knowledge that were classified as sin I was always afraid of eternal damnation of being burned alive forever or just ending because I had a lustful thought, or used the name of god in vain to name a few. I consider myself a moral person as I want to treat people right and help them.

My relationships with my sisters and my Best buddy have strengthened, my sisters have watched the shackles fall from my mind, and me being true to myself has made me much more genuine to my friends which has made me closer to them as well which is what I've wanted all along. To have true relationships that actually exist.
I have had a very similar experience to yours.
It's like you get your full mind back - Christianity was a very narrow viewpoint and you were made to constantly feel guilty for being human.
Coming out of Christianity has given me true freedom.

Floggings to continue until morale improves.
[+] 2 users Like gruntledone's post
27-11-2015, 07:57 AM
(21-11-2015 11:04 PM)Diogenius Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:10 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I remember asking my grandmother if she loved god more than she loved me, and she said yes. I was like "WTF, REALLY?" lol. She was old and set in her ways though, so I didn't try to argue with her about religion.

Ooh, I'm kind of glad I never thought to ask that. I was still a pretty sensitive child, that probably would have shattered me Sad I'm about the same honestly. My grandparents are starting to sense that I've drifted away from it, so somehow a religious show always happens to find its way on TV when I'm there (or Fox news comes on...currently I'm not sure which is worse) and its always upsetting. I know they mean well but these days it's just making more arguments during a time where I just want to appreciate their company before they're gone.
I hope they can figure that out. Some theists have enough self security and sense to just leave it be and live in the moment sometimes. Those ones are my friends.
28-11-2015, 07:34 PM
(27-11-2015 07:57 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 11:04 PM)Diogenius Wrote:  Ooh, I'm kind of glad I never thought to ask that. I was still a pretty sensitive child, that probably would have shattered me Sad I'm about the same honestly. My grandparents are starting to sense that I've drifted away from it, so somehow a religious show always happens to find its way on TV when I'm there (or Fox news comes on...currently I'm not sure which is worse) and its always upsetting. I know they mean well but these days it's just making more arguments during a time where I just want to appreciate their company before they're gone.
I hope they can figure that out. Some theists have enough self security and sense to just leave it be and live in the moment sometimes. Those ones are my friends.

Couldn't agree more. Heart

"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments." - Christopher Hitchens

Check out my blog here
29-11-2015, 04:46 AM
I always have a real sense of worth when I think about it really. My life is beyond special. I was never created and the odds of me, THE ME of ever having existed and most of all in this really special place in time is so massive that it goes beyond astronomical that it can never be calculated by any theorem or expressed in any possible way.

I am beyond just being lucky to be here. I am-just as all of are- one of the most special things in the universe. And to spend a single Iota of time worrying about the end after I am gone, or being afraid is a waste of my life, so I refuse to ever let anything ever take that away.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
29-11-2015, 04:57 AM
(21-11-2015 03:19 PM)smeli Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:08 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  So I've pretty much always been an atheist, and have never been depressed or anything. That's good, right?

Yes that's good. Smile Atheists can lead happy, healthy, normal lives just like any theists.

My mom is the same as yours although mine goes to church occasionally. My dad believes there's a god, and we had a discussion about religion (which is rare) recently where he mentioned he believed in god. This was over the phone so I was glad he couldn't see my puzzled reaction. I've become so comfortable with my own atheism that to hear one of my parents actually say they believe in a god is a bit shocking.

I had the same attitude as you when I was a child and had to go to church and Sunday school, where they talked about a large boat that safely carried 2 of every species of animal while rain water flooded the earth and killed everything else, and of course the story about the dude who lived for days in the stomach of a whale. As a young child I remember thinking it was all so stupid, but I had to go. I was becoming agnostic as a child and remained that until I allowed myself to realize I was an atheist.

It saddens me that people still brainwash young minds with that garbage. I wonder how many children would become religious if they were allowed to decide on their own whether to follow any religions.

I'm glad you escaped. Big Grin
I
Quote:t saddens me that people still brainwash young minds with that garbage. I wonder how many children would become religious if they were allowed to decide on their own whether to follow any religions.

Exactly!

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
03-12-2015, 02:07 AM
Good for you, I think maybe you can watch some stand up comedy from George Carlin, at least you won't treat religion serious anymore!