Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 07:47 PM
RE: Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist
(12-05-2015 05:53 PM)Worom Wrote:  Hi Everyone,

I noticed something recently that I have noticed within myself, I'm much happier now as an Atheist than I ever was as a Christian.

It's hard to explain its almost as if a giant weight has been lifted off my mind, that I can actually freely express my nature and who I am and my love for knowledge and science, rather than trying to suppress thoughts, actions and knowledge that were classified as sin I was always afraid of eternal damnation of being burned alive forever or just ending because I had a lustful thought, or used the name of god in vain to name a few. I consider myself a moral person as I want to treat people right and help them.

My relationships with my sisters and my Best buddy have strengthened, my sisters have watched the shackles fall from my mind, and me being true to myself has made me much more genuine to my friends which has made me closer to them as well which is what I've wanted all along. To have true relationships that actually exist.

Good post. I feel the same way.
I used to be one of those dummies that would get upset about things like marriage equality. I'm embarrassed to admit that I use to use that awful argument "God made Adam and Eve. Not Adam and Steve."
I used to be hard on my sons based on biblical rules.
It feels so much better to let that stuff go.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like edbaldwin's post
20-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Much Happier now that I'm an Atheist
Also new atheist so new I haven't had the pleasure of seeing I made the right choice yet! I lived with my grandparents so was raised in strict religious rules and church every Sunday Sunday night s and Wednesday's
[+] 1 user Likes 80sChild's post
26-01-2016, 06:04 PM
I'm so much happier now than I ever was as a christian. I grew up believing god is sovereign and omnicient. Therefore, it was his choice to make women smaller, weaker and more vunerable. It was his choice for children to die and natural disaster destroy towns and people. I used to think "If we had an elected official who had the power to fix things in our town, but chose not to, we would not stand for it. Why do we no hold god to at least that standard?' I was so angry at god. When I became an atheist, all my anger went away. Knowing that world is like it is just because of nature/evolution is acceptable and understandable.

Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think.
Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
[+] 2 users Like rebel*ox's post
11-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

I noticed something recently that I have noticed within myself, I'm much happier now as an Atheist than I ever was as a Christian.

It's hard to explain its almost as if a giant weight has been lifted off my mind, that I can actually freely express my nature and who I am and my love for knowledge and science, rather than trying to suppress thoughts, actions and knowledge that were classified as sin I was always afraid of eternal damnation of being burned alive forever or just ending because I had a lustful thought, or used the name of god in vain to name a few. I consider myself a moral person as I want to treat people right and help them.

My relationships with my sisters and my Best buddy have strengthened, my sisters have watched the shackles fall from my mind, and me being true to myself has made me much more genuine to my friends which has made me closer to them as well which is what I've wanted all along. To have true relationships that actually exist.
[/quote]
11-02-2016, 04:16 PM
I had the same reaction to leaving all the dogma behind...I don't know how to explain it, except that I felt FREE. More alive. Totally able to break the chains of guilt. WOW. If only I could convince my relgious friends how freeing non-reglion is. P.S. I am new to chatting - - hope I am doing it right Blush
[+] 2 users Like Jay's post
11-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Welcome Jay!

Many of us can't believe how much better things are without religion.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-02-2016, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2016 11:07 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(11-02-2016 04:14 PM)Jay Wrote:  Hi Everyone,

It is amazing how clear the world is when you aren't blinded by faith isn't it? Allow me to share how using reason and logic to view the world around us is more comforting then faith.

In 1998 I lost two daughters at the toddler age. At the time I was a christian, and have never prayed so hard as I did during that time. This isn't the reason I am an atheist now, I am an atheist now because that event, that life experience gave me the need to understand WHY. So I asked my pastors, my parents, other church leaders, and found the answers most unsatisfactory. So rather than sponging up everything that fell out of their mouth as the truth, I started a journey of epistemology, the study of knowledge. I read the bible, and again, read other versions, other religion's holy books, then got into philosophy, biblical history, who wrote the bible and why? Who put it together? What are the FACTS and what is fiction, what is history and what is a parable......the more I learned, the less I believed. I had actually started this journey attempting to solidify my faith and get the facts I needed to override my inner doubts, and the opposite happened. The more I found out about the community writings which were presented under more well known author's names (pseudepigrapha), the forgeries, the exaggerations, the fiction and fantasy, the faster my cure from the infection of faith was.

I would give anything to hold my daughters again, but I have learned too much, been exposed to historical facts, reason and logic...and my heart has given up on ever seeing them again. I realize the importance religion and faith has for people, I truly do. It is a comfort, an emotional and spiritual security blanket, a made-up answer to the big questions we don't know the answers to, and still don't. We may never know the answers, I surely don't have them, I just know that the anthropocentric abrahamic faiths don't have the answer either..... Because the whole thing is based on a book that is too easily discredited and disproven, whole books made up and written YEARS after the alleged author died, or by people who write it based on the oral retelling of a story passed down through years with zero collaborating evidence.

It is frightening to think we are here by chance, what is the purpose of life? Are we just smart bugs running around for a life cycle; eat, breed, die and repeat? How awful is that? It is comforting to think of "god" looking down at us, worrying about 8 billion+ little lives scurrying around on this planet, created to worship him or die eternally in hell, or so the story goes.

My progression to atheism has surprisingly brought me a lot of peace. I no longer have the inner guilt of did this happen because I am a sinner, or failed to believe in god strongly enough, or because I am unworthy or whatever religious based, subjugating mind rape concept put out by the church....the thought that maybe I didn't pray hard enough, or maybe god was displeased with me and let them die etc. etc., all of that nonsense is washed away with the understanding that life isn't predestined, there is no grand plan, there is no god playing...well god....and worrying about paying back my "born-as-a-sinner-and owing-god-for-life" slavery contract with the Christian god.

All of that needless, worthless, bowing and scraping hoping we earn god's approval to live in a paradise forever...upon death. Sounds like a made up concept to comfort those dying doesn't it?...Because it is. I wish I could describe to you the peace that knowledge and freedom from religious dogma has given me. My life is full, happy and rewarding. I have been able to move on, one day at a time, and while I wish I could believe that someday I could see them again, I am okay with knowing that they suffer no more, and are in eternal rest...and I know that to believe in a supernatural afterlife is just my inner insecurity and fear making me want to accept the impossible, the improbable, the imaginary...as a comfort. I am better than that, I don't need to allow fear to dominate my life and force me to believe or pretend to believe in the supernatural. Humans fear death, this is natural, humans die, this is natural, all life on this planet will someday cease, this is natural, this planet is slowly dying, this is natural, and not I would think by design.....and I am okay with that.

In my opinion, religion thrives because of fear; it plays on our fears of the unknown and manipulates that fear into quite the thriving business. Emotional, spiritual and financial slavery, all with the, "Don't question it because it is in this book, believe or spend eternity in hell" salesmanship. Greatest pyramid scheme ever, money goes up; nothing of intrinsic value comes down...except fear based comfort. What is right for one person, doesn't work for another. What is needed for one person isn't needed by another. My daughters died in 1998 and I still think about them, but I am no longer devastated. I am at peace, knowledge gives you that, not faith….which is the belief in something without evidence.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post