Multiple infinities

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2013, 08:18 PM

Multiple infinities
Is it only one infinity that can exist in our observable universe? Why there aren't any other infinities exist? Some people have proposed actually there are multiple infinities in this universe, such as the size of the universe, the "state" prior to the Big Bang, black holes, aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, etc. But even then it is unsure if there are really infinities can exist even one infinity.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mike's post
13-09-2013, 08:24 PM
RE: Multiple infinities
Tricky, but I like it!Huh

Resigned 26/3/15 in consequence of banning re freedom of speech issues.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2013, 10:05 PM
If there really are no infinities, space-time would not be 'Compact'
(sorry, it's the math wonk in me Smile . definition-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_space )

Meaning that the actual dimensions within which we and all matter exist are discrete/quantized. In other words, there is such a thing as a smallest possible interval of time and a smallest possible distance between two points.
13-09-2013, 10:06 PM
(13-09-2013 08:18 PM)Mike Wrote:  Is it only one infinity that can exist in our observable universe? Why there aren't any other infinities exist?

There are. Lemme see if I can get this right ... Consider ... There is a countably infinite number of different uncountable infinities. ... wait ... Consider .. fuck I dunno know.

But we do know by virtue of Cantor Diagonalizing his Gwynnies that there are more real numbers between 0 and 1 than there are integers. So yeah, there are different infinities. ... Fuck with it at your own peril. Tongue

This is not my signature.
14-09-2013, 04:11 AM
Well, are you talking about mathematics or the physical universe? Consider

Our universe is probably finite in extent, with a finite number of particles, a finite amount of energy. In mathematics, there is an infinite number of infinities.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2013, 05:12 AM

(14-09-2013 04:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, are you talking about mathematics or the physical universe? Consider

Our universe is probably finite in extent, with a finite number of particles, a finite amount of energy. In mathematics, there is an infinite number of infinities.

I'm talking about both of those things. What do you mean by "our universe"? Is it the observable universe?
14-09-2013, 05:21 AM
(14-09-2013 05:12 AM)Mike Wrote:  
(14-09-2013 04:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, are you talking about mathematics or the physical universe? Consider

I'm talking about both of those things. Do you mean "our universe"? Is it the observable universe?

I am talking about the universe that would exist given Big Bang cosmology, which is larger (but finite) than the observable universe.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2013, 07:33 AM

(14-09-2013 05:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-09-2013 05:12 AM)Mike Wrote:  I'm talking about both of those things. Do you mean "our universe"? Is it the observable universe?

I am talking about the universe that would exist given Big Bang cosmology, which is larger (but finite) than the observable universe.

But from what I've learned it's still unsure if the universe is really finite or infinite. So if it turns out that the universe is limited and finite in size, so the "state" prior to the Big Bang is must be infinite right. Do actual infinity exist? What do you think.

Many people insist that before the Big Bang occurred, there are absolute nothingness. In my opinion this is a misnomer because "before" indicate time and "there" indicate place or space whereas space and time don't exist prior to the Big Bang. Even saying prior to the Big Bang it is absolute nothingness is also useless and baseless, at least in my opinion.
14-09-2013, 07:57 AM
The universe can be finite, but with no boundary.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

14-09-2013, 08:20 AM

(14-09-2013 07:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The universe can be finite, but with no boundary.

Do you asserted that the universe is spatially closed?