RE: Mum has died
I'm sorry for your loss, hugs. Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
10-01-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. *hugs* I hope that you are okay.
[+] 2 users Like musicharmony87's post
14-01-2016, 02:07 PM
My deepest sympathies. I know what you are going through right now as I just lost my mother 5 days before Christmas. All we can do is process while honoring them by sharing memories and recognizing the good that they've accomplished. I wish you and your family peace during this time

John

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Octapulse's post
15-01-2016, 02:35 PM
(14-01-2016 02:07 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  My deepest sympathies. I know what you are going through right now as I just lost my mother 5 days before Christmas. All we can do is process while honoring them by sharing memories and recognizing the good that they've accomplished. I wish you and your family peace during this time

John

I'm very sorry to hear this John. Very kind of you to post on my thread while going through the same thing yourself.
Best wishes to you and yours.
Steve

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
17-01-2016, 11:10 AM
The funeral went well. Started off in a village hall where Mum used to play indoor bowls with a talk about her life and achievements that lasted about half an hour. the basket casket was really nice. Wicker and seagrass with both ends rounded. Then to the burial ground where a nice surprise showed itself.
We had noticed the Red Arrows who I suspect most of you have heard of. for those who have no idea who they are, they are the RAF aerobatics display team. They were practicing 10 miles away however as we were driving up the lane to the burial ground a single one of them flew by. When we got out of the cars and headed to the grave site there was a white heard drawn it the sky just above the horizon a couple of miles away. Coincidence we thought. But after the burial in exactly the same place was a fresh heart, the original had faded away by then. there was no other smoke trails in sight so we think it was deliberate for our benefit. Thanks guys.
After the burial it was back to the village hall for food and natter. I received only two comments about the lack of religion, one was how refreshing it was to have a funeral without all the unnecessary prayers. The other was how great it was to have no religious bullshit at all. Just what Mum would have wanted to hear I think.

Photo of the grave the day after with a cherry tree instead of a grave stone. There will be a small slate grave marker in due course.
[Image: clockngrave%20009_zpsx24eqruu.jpg]

View of the grave (centre of photo) from the entrance to the site. All the trees are grave markers.
[Image: clockngrave%20014_zpsbrt8zcdu.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like stevec's post
17-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Look and sounds like a lovely goodbye.

*HUG*
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
17-01-2016, 01:25 PM
(17-01-2016 12:45 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Look and sounds like a lovely goodbye.

*HUG*

Thank you.

17-01-2016, 01:33 PM
(04-01-2016 02:24 PM)stevec Wrote:  My mother died on New Years Day. A woman whose views on religeon make Pablo seem like the Pope.
She chose to have a green burial in a wicker basket coffin. We have looked at and decided on the burial ground, a nice wild meadow with trees to mark the graves, wild flowers, a pond and a picnic area.
The funeral still needs to be arranged, we only got the death certificate today and couldn't arrange anything without it. That's tomorrows job along with other necessary paperwork.
There will be the usual celebration of her life but most definately without any mumbo-jumbo magical bullshit.
I'm not after sympathy , well maybe a little, as I know many people lose parents at a much younger age than my 57 years and parents who are much younger that mums 80 years. She was 8 days from her 81st birthday so I know I am lucky in having her for so long.
The Death certificate had the best cause of death on it that is possible. Old Age.

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this.
Cheers
Steve

This is what I hate about religious logic, and it isn't even that you can stop it by force, you cant. Nobody has a funeral for a cockroach or bacteria. Of course it is ok to mourn, but to assign life and death to some Superman vs Lex Luther crap pisses me off.

We mourn loss of loved ones for natural reasons, not comic book reasons. My mom is healthy as she can be for her age, but it still scares me shitless to think of anything happening to her. Even for myself, I do fear not being around my loved ones, and I do fear prolonged pain. But I dont fear a fictional afterlife punishment anymore than I should a pre life punishment.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
24-01-2016, 09:35 AM
(17-01-2016 11:10 AM)stevec Wrote:  The funeral went well. Started off in a village hall where Mum used to play indoor bowls with a talk about her life and achievements that lasted about half an hour. the basket casket was really nice. Wicker and seagrass with both ends rounded. Then to the burial ground where a nice surprise showed itself.
We had noticed the Red Arrows who I suspect most of you have heard of. for those who have no idea who they are, they are the RAF aerobatics display team. They were practicing 10 miles away however as we were driving up the lane to the burial ground a single one of them flew by. When we got out of the cars and headed to the grave site there was a white heard drawn it the sky just above the horizon a couple of miles away. Coincidence we thought. But after the burial in exactly the same place was a fresh heart, the original had faded away by then. there was no other smoke trails in sight so we think it was deliberate for our benefit. Thanks guys.
After the burial it was back to the village hall for food and natter. I received only two comments about the lack of religion, one was how refreshing it was to have a funeral without all the unnecessary prayers. The other was how great it was to have no religious bullshit at all. Just what Mum would have wanted to hear I think.

Photo of the grave the day after with a cherry tree instead of a grave stone. There will be a small slate grave marker in due course.

View of the grave (centre of photo) from the entrance to the site. All the trees are grave markers.

The simplicity of the place is beautiful in its own way.

I am sorry for your loss.

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zur├╝cklassen." - TARS, Interstellar
[+] 1 user Likes therealJim's post
24-01-2016, 11:46 AM
(17-01-2016 11:10 AM)stevec Wrote:  The funeral went well. Started off in a village hall where Mum used to play indoor bowls with a talk about her life and achievements that lasted about half an hour. the basket casket was really nice. Wicker and seagrass with both ends rounded. Then to the burial ground where a nice surprise showed itself.

My sympathies to you and your family in your grief.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post