Murdering children in the name of religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2012, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 05:00 PM by Ozzie.)
Murdering children in the name of religion
As the father to a 2 year old son, as much as I try to comprehend it, it is impossible for me to understand how parents could ever harm their own children. The instinctual response in me is to always protect my son, and to do whatever it takes to keep him safe and happy. That is something that most of us humans possess, and something not unique to our species either. Animals are also instinctively protective of their young. It is the ultimate survival mechanism in us animals, the knowledge that if we don't protect our young then our genetic traits will not survive...and perhaps the species itself could die.

However, parents do murder their children for a host of different reasons. Some people just lack that genetic safeguard that prevents most of us from harming a child, and let alone our own children. Some are just mentally insane and their illness goes untreated until it is too late. But the one instance that I cannot truly comprehend is when adults kill their children in the name of religion. Some of them have diagnosed mental issues and religion drives them over the edge to kill their own children, and some are allegedly "perfectly normal adults," which is even more baffling.

Over the past two weeks I've reported here about two cases in which children were murdered by their parents due to their religious beliefs (one was cold murder and the other was denial of medical treatment on religious grounds,) but as hard as these stories were to read, none has hit me harder than the story I came across today.

In the UK, a religious fanatic mother killed her own daughter by stuffing pages of the Bible into her infant's mouth until the little girl stopped breathing. She was delusional and had a psychotic breakdown that led her to believe that Jesus told her to take the devil out of her daughter. As I read this story, I looked across the room to my own son, and completely broke down in tears. How on Earth can one justify doing such a thing to a little baby? I always assumed the religious were just misguided and confused, but I'm seriously starting to think that religion is a mental disorder that must be treated. And this is coming from someone who used to be a religious nut himself. I was one of those evangelicals, and as much as I'd like to believe that I have always been a perfectly sane human being, stories like this make me realise that no...I was once mentally ill due to the brain washing my parents gave me. Religion is not normal simply because most people happen to believe in mythical beings...it just means most people are mentally ill from the psychological torture and indoctrination they received as children. I weep for our species, and hope that our human race will one day awaken from this nightmare. As for me, thank the FSM that I stopped being a religious nut before I decided to have children with my spouse...who knows what I would have been capable of under the delusional spell of religion.

Stop the itchy blanket of Creationism from spreading to our classrooms. Say no to Iron Age superstitions Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ozzie's post
03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
RE: Murdering children in the name of religion
SadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSad

No

What a bad idea! I am so sade about this waste of live, i am out of words!

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 1 user Likes Marco Krieger's post
03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I do hope that woman you spoke of is wrapped up tight in a straight jacket, in a maximum security prison somewhere.

Why a prison? for her own protection of course. while I generally disagree with killing altogether, I will be very disappointed if there was not at least one person who publicly wanted the whacko killed.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I've always thought it strange to hear of parents murdering their children, but as I'm expecting a child of my own now, it's become all that much more confusing to me. I find myself shielding my belly sometimes when there's a chance something might strike it, and I don't even realize I've done it until I look down and see that I have. So, I guess I'm already in protective-mama-mode.

My own mother, however is schizophrenic and probably also bi-polar. She used to be pretty heavily religious (she's getting better lately). In fact, she thought at some point that I was the Messiah reborn. She also used to think that demons haunted our home, sent to torment us by her brother's wife. Sometimes, I wonder what she might have done to "save" me from those demons if she hadn't had her breakdown and was put onto anti-psychotic medications...
03-10-2012, 11:09 PM
My feelings on it is you must be able to disable certain instincts in order to believe religion, or at least to be able to worship a dick. I am an atheist because my morals won't let me believe in the stories in the bible. If you buy into it all hook, line, and sinker, you are probably quite capable of killing your own kids in the name of your religion. My wife is a rather weak believer. She believes in a god, but after talking to her it is definately not the god of the bible.
03-10-2012, 11:16 PM
I always wonder in these situations just how much we can actually blame religion. Don't get me wrong, religion is a cancer that gives these people a focus for their delusions and feeds them. But at the same time, we have to acknowledge that these people have serious mental problems and even if there was no religion in the world at all, in all likelihood they would find some other obsession to latch onto.

I think we need to focus on providing these people with better healthcare and treatment, to avoid these kinds of tragedies.
04-10-2012, 12:05 AM
(03-10-2012 11:16 PM)imlemuel Wrote:  I always wonder in these situations just how much we can actually blame religion. Don't get me wrong, religion is a cancer that gives these people a focus for their delusions and feeds them. But at the same time, we have to acknowledge that these people have serious mental problems and even if there was no religion in the world at all, in all likelihood they would find some other obsession to latch onto.

I think we need to focus on providing these people with better healthcare and treatment, to avoid these kinds of tragedies.

If they didn't have religion to latch onto, they might choose something less likely to make them kill. My mom used to be a hoarder and still in a way is. She has spent 100's of thousands on clothes and jewelry. About 17 years ago, I got my parents into parrots. Now, my mom buys toys and stuff for the birds instead of clothes that she will never wear. Focusing on something other than religion, these crazy people that would do such things might act differently.
04-10-2012, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 09:26 PM by depat.)
A schizoidal break can happen to anyone with a predisposition. Her being a Christian and a mother is irrelavent to her disease. The delusions, paranoia, and hallucinations inherent to her disease caused this tragedy.

Over my lifetime, I have known several schizophrenics, each manifesting an accute focus/paranoia on a spacific thing: a women in her 40s, during the cold war, tried to kill my mother for being a spy; a 50 something homeless man threw all kinds of items at Hispanic males because he thought they were all gay and were after him; a young man was so caught up in the comic book fantasy that he saw himself as a protector of others, and he became too dangerous to leave on his own--criminally insane.

There are patterns to this disease that give it a name. It does not discriminate.

Studies show that people with strong connections to an interactive diety in their lives tend to live healthier lives and heal from physical and mental traumma quicker and easier than others. Typically delusional Theists (god exists, it created the world, it wants me to accomplish certain things) are doing just fine.
[+] 1 user Likes depat's post
04-10-2012, 01:17 AM
A schiodal break can happen to anyone with a predisposition. Her being a Christian and a mother is irrelevent to her disease. The delusions, paranoia, and hallucinations inherent to her disease caused this tragedy.

Over my lifetime, I have known several schizophrenics, each manifesting an accute focus/paranoia on a spacific thing: a women in her 40s, during the cold war, tried to kill my mother for being a spy; a 50 something homeless man threw all kinds of items at Hispanic males because he thought they were all gay and were after him; a young man was so caught up in the comic book fantasy that he saw himself as a protector of others, and he became too dangerous to leave on his own--criminally insane.

There are patterns to this disease that give it a name. It does not discriminate.

Studies show that people with strong connections to an interactive diety in their lives tend to live healthier lives and heal from physical and mental traumma quicker and easier than others. Typically delusional Theists (god exists, it created the world, it wants me to accomplish certain things) are doing just fine.
04-10-2012, 01:43 AM
(04-10-2012 01:17 AM)depat Wrote:  Studies show that people with strong connections to an interactive diety in their lives tend to live healthier lives and heal from physical and mental traumma quicker and easier than others. Typically delusional Theists (god exists, it created the world, it wants me to accomplish certain things) are doing just fine.

Hm... fine, fine...ähm only on thing, if you dont mind.
Show me the evidence for your claim, please.

Maybe you have to look in your newspaper again and then count the numbers of atheist how getting killed, during the attack of a bunch of other atheist how also claim they have the right book. It's sarcasm, you noticed?

The same thing was said about married man.
They live healthier lives and die later...
Sure, because there woman doing the whole household and children-upbringing.
They prepare their meals, because it is under the dignity of a male to do it.
So, they live longer and healthier without all the trouble, nice to know.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.