Murdering children in the name of religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2012, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 02:39 AM by depat.)
RE: Murdering children in the name of religion
Marco Krieger

I'm not a Theist basher, and rarely a judge on Theists. Their myths concern me more in the area of where they live, planet earth, and their treatment of the planet concerning their ultimate destination.

I mentioned the typical Theist, thinking about westernized Christianity. I should have been clear / more careful.

I don't know what or whom you are talking about when you said, "count the number of atheist how getting killed, during the attack of a bunch of other atheists how also claim they have the right book." I have not heard about a bunch of atheists getting shot at and killed over a book. Maybe Christians were the target, maybe it was certain Americans? Can you clairify?

I think you may be talking about the violent Muslem uprising over a video posted by a Coptic Christian, born in Egypt, now an American.

I have many Muslin aquantances and we have had many conversations and debates about their beliefs. From what I know about Islamists, I don't believe that the murdering rampage that took place was done by the typical Muslem.

The studies about Theist's experiencing healthier lives were a part of my university education in psychology, and comparative religion classes. Again when I made the statement, I was assuming western Christianity on Theists, a critical error, sorry. The stats were on reports by the Med. profession in the US. These studies should not be hard to find.

Last, don't we all cling to some dilusions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2012, 03:29 AM
(04-10-2012 02:33 AM)depat Wrote:  Marco Krieger

I'm not a Theist basher, and rarely a judge on Theists. Their myths concern me more in the area of where they live, planet earth, and their treatment of the planet concerning their ultimate destination.

I mentioned the typical Theist, thinking about westernized Christianity. I should have been clear / more careful.

I don't know what or whom you are talking about when you said, "count the number of atheist how getting killed, during the attack of a bunch of other atheists how also claim they have the right book." I have not heard about a bunch of atheists getting shot at and killed over a book. Maybe Christians were the target, maybe it was certain Americans? Can you clairify?

I think you may be talking about the violent Muslem uprising over a video posted by a Coptic Christian, born in Egypt, now an American.

I have many Muslin aquantances and we have had many conversations and debates about their beliefs. From what I know about Islamists, I don't believe that the murdering rampage that took place was done by the typical Muslem.

The studies about Theist's experiencing healthier lives were a part of my university education in psychology, and a comparative religion class. Again when I made the statement, I was assuming western Christianity on Theists, a critical error, sorry. The stats were on reports by the Med. profession in the US. These studies should not be hard to find.

I am happy to hear, you concerned about planet earth, because it's all we have, right?
You dont know about an atheist killed by other atheist, because there was non.
As i stated, it was meant to be ironic in review of your claim.
I dont talked about muslims, i talked about the context between religious believes and healthier livestyl.
I think, to life and loose your live in a neverending battle beween the religion's can not be an good and healthy live.
BTW, there is a healthstudy, after the WWII, that made a connection between male health and the war-situation. Ironically, male were in better shape in the war.
More stress, more body workout, and the imminent fear of being killed made them healthier. But only pysicaly, mentaly was a whole other story.
I did'nt like to make a claim and being unable to provide the evidence, but i can not find this damn Study i read, sorry.
So i stated the example of an typical houshold in western-europe and linked it up to the context between marriage and health, for male in particular.
I think, both claimes are have there points, but only if you putt the willingness to sacrifice of others (female) in the equation.
I simply just want to say, we will live better lives and the whole world becomes a healthier place, if we getting rid of all these superstition.
If you dont mind, please open you newspaper again, and you will find my point as proven, in most parts, i think.
In reference to the thread her i do agree with you.
If the mother of that child were an extrem Fan of Lord of the Rings, maybe she had have put pages of "The Fellowship of the Ring" in the childs mouth.
And certainly nobody would blame Tolkins about that.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
04-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Yeah well that's the fucked up world we live in isn't it.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-10-2012, 07:24 AM
It's not the world, it's the people that are fucked up.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
(04-10-2012 05:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yeah well that's the fucked up world we live in isn't it.

A+ FOR POSITIVITY.

No, but that really is sad. The world really does disgust me sometimes. But I don't think religion is a mental disorder (ps. not religious.) You can't change the fact that a couple of crazies pop into the world and make a gruesome headline from time to time.
04-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Why wasn't she abiding by the commandment to protect and nurture your children??? Oh wait........

Anyway, I agree that mental illness is the primary cause for this tragedy. Religion just happens to be the tool used.
04-10-2012, 09:56 AM
(03-10-2012 04:55 PM)Ozzie Wrote:  As the father to a 2 year old son, as much as I try to comprehend it, it is impossible for me to understand how parents could ever harm their own children. The instinctual response in me is to always protect my son, and to do whatever it takes to keep him safe and happy. That is something that most of us humans possess, and something not unique to our species either. Animals are also instinctively protective of their young. It is the ultimate survival mechanism in us animals, the knowledge that if we don't protect our young then our genetic traits will not survive...and perhaps the species itself could die.

However, parents do murder their children for a host of different reasons. Some people just lack that genetic safeguard that prevents most of us from harming a child, and let alone our own children. Some are just mentally insane and their illness goes untreated until it is too late. But the one instance that I cannot truly comprehend is when adults kill their children in the name of religion. Some of them have diagnosed mental issues and religion drives them over the edge to kill their own children, and some are allegedly "perfectly normal adults," which is even more baffling.

Over the past two weeks I've reported here about two cases in which children were murdered by their parents due to their religious beliefs (one was cold murder and the other was denial of medical treatment on religious grounds,) but as hard as these stories were to read, none has hit me harder than the story I came across today.

In the UK, a religious fanatic mother killed her own daughter by stuffing pages of the Bible into her infant's mouth until the little girl stopped breathing. She was delusional and had a psychotic breakdown that led her to believe that Jesus told her to take the devil out of her daughter. As I read this story, I looked across the room to my own son, and completely broke down in tears. How on Earth can one justify doing such a thing to a little baby? I always assumed the religious were just misguided and confused, but I'm seriously starting to think that religion is a mental disorder that must be treated. And this is coming from someone who used to be a religious nut himself. I was one of those evangelicals, and as much as I'd like to believe that I have always been a perfectly sane human being, stories like this make me realise that no...I was once mentally ill due to the brain washing my parents gave me. Religion is not normal simply because most people happen to believe in mythical beings...it just means most people are mentally ill from the psychological torture and indoctrination they received as children. I weep for our species, and hope that our human race will one day awaken from this nightmare. As for me, thank the FSM that I stopped being a religious nut before I decided to have children with my spouse...who knows what I would have been capable of under the delusional spell of religion.
Years ago, I worked with severely mentally ill people. Hallucinations can be a powerful influence and often religion plays a part in one way or another. This story is indeed horrible, but maybe just a tiny bit less horrible if you understand the woman didn't really choose to do this to her baby, but felt overwhelmingly compelled. In my mind, it's far more horrible when a child is killed by a so-called parent in instances of abuse or out of anger at the other parent or something equally as stupid and cold. It's still awful that this baby was killed by her own mother in that manner though. It would be nice to have a delusion of a heaven about now.

Severe mental illness. More evidence against the existence of a god.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
04-10-2012, 10:57 PM
(04-10-2012 01:14 AM)depat Wrote:  A schizoidal break can happen to anyone with a predisposition. Her being a Christian and a mother is irrelavent to her disease. The delusions, paranoia, and hallucinations inherent to her disease caused this tragedy.

Over my lifetime, I have known several schizophrenics, each manifesting an accute focus/paranoia on a spacific thing: a women in her 40s, during the cold war, tried to kill my mother for being a spy; a 50 something homeless man threw all kinds of items at Hispanic males because he thought they were all gay and were after him; a young man was so caught up in the comic book fantasy that he saw himself as a protector of others, and he became too dangerous to leave on his own--criminally insane.

There are patterns to this disease that give it a name. It does not discriminate.

Studies show that people with strong connections to an interactive diety in their lives tend to live healthier lives and heal from physical and mental traumma quicker and easier than others. Typically delusional Theists (god exists, it created the world, it wants me to accomplish certain things) are doing just fine.

I disagree with you. If I were to ever hear a voice telling me to kill my own kids, I would either ignore it or tell it to go fuck itself. I get cut off in traffic all the time. On my way to work at night, I am usually stuck behind someone who might be drunk. I may want to kill someone over it, but I don't act on those feelings. She had a choice to make and she made the wrong call. For that she should be punnished.
05-10-2012, 09:25 AM
(04-10-2012 10:57 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(04-10-2012 01:14 AM)depat Wrote:  A schizoidal break can happen to anyone with a predisposition. Her being a Christian and a mother is irrelavent to her disease. The delusions, paranoia, and hallucinations inherent to her disease caused this tragedy.

Over my lifetime, I have known several schizophrenics, each manifesting an accute focus/paranoia on a spacific thing: a women in her 40s, during the cold war, tried to kill my mother for being a spy; a 50 something homeless man threw all kinds of items at Hispanic males because he thought they were all gay and were after him; a young man was so caught up in the comic book fantasy that he saw himself as a protector of others, and he became too dangerous to leave on his own--criminally insane.

There are patterns to this disease that give it a name. It does not discriminate.

Studies show that people with strong connections to an interactive diety in their lives tend to live healthier lives and heal from physical and mental traumma quicker and easier than others. Typically delusional Theists (god exists, it created the world, it wants me to accomplish certain things) are doing just fine.

I disagree with you. If I were to ever hear a voice telling me to kill my own kids, I would either ignore it or tell it to go fuck itself. I get cut off in traffic all the time. On my way to work at night, I am usually stuck behind someone who might be drunk. I may want to kill someone over it, but I don't act on those feelings. She had a choice to make and she made the wrong call. For that she should be punnished.
Sorry, but that just shows a complete lack of understanding about the nature of mental illness. It's not uncommon for psychotic individuals to do things out of paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, and/or compulsions that they don't want to be doing even while they are in the middle of doing those things. But their illness is such that they really can't help themselves.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
06-10-2012, 03:32 PM
(05-10-2012 09:25 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(04-10-2012 10:57 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I disagree with you. If I were to ever hear a voice telling me to kill my own kids, I would either ignore it or tell it to go fuck itself. I get cut off in traffic all the time. On my way to work at night, I am usually stuck behind someone who might be drunk. I may want to kill someone over it, but I don't act on those feelings. She had a choice to make and she made the wrong call. For that she should be punnished.
Sorry, but that just shows a complete lack of understanding about the nature of mental illness. It's not uncommon for psychotic individuals to do things out of paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, and/or compulsions that they don't want to be doing even while they are in the middle of doing those things. But their illness is such that they really can't help themselves.

If they don't want to do it, but have no choice in the matter they need to be caged. You never know who they will have no choice but to kill next.