Murray Energy sues John Oliver (Yes, that John Oliver)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Murray Energy sues John Oliver (Yes, that John Oliver)
John Oliver, a giant squirrel and a defamation lawsuit by a coal industry titan

@ The Washington Post

“Last Week Tonight” host John Oliver knew he was inviting a legal battle when he used his show Sunday to lambaste one of the country’s largest coal mining companies and mock its chief executive.

But it had to be done, he said.

In a 24-minute segment on the decline of the coal industry and President Trump’s tenuous promises to bring it back, Oliver railed against the mining giant Murray Energy Corporation and chief executive Robert E. Murray, who has blamed the industry’s troubles on an “evil agenda” by President Barack Obama.

Before he got going, Oliver offered up a proviso. “I’m going to need to be careful here,” he said, “because when we contacted Murray Energy for this piece, they sent us a letter instructing us to ‘cease and desist from any effort to defame, harass, or otherwise injure Mr. Murray or Murray Energy,’ and telling us that ‘failure to do so will result in immediate litigation.’”

Then he tore into the 77-year-old coal magnate.

Murray was a “geriatric Dr. Evil,” he said, who mistreated his employees and tried to weaken coal safety regulations through litigation. He suggested Murray was “on the same side as black lung” and criticized his response to a deadly 2007 mine accident in Utah found to have been caused by safety violations.

He called up a satirical article in the United Mine Workers of America’s journal that described a squirrel hopping onto Murray’s porch and telling him, “You should be operating your very own mines” (the company said this was not, in fact, a true story).

Finally, in a stunt fit only for late night television, Oliver brought out a man in a giant squirrel costume and paraded him around the stage.

“Bob Murray, I didn’t really plan for so much of this piece to be about you, but you kinda forced my hand on that one,” Oliver said. “And I know you’re probably going to sue me over this. But, you know what? I stand by everything I said.”

On Wednesday, Murray did sue Oliver for defamation, along with HBO and Time Warner.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-06-2017, 10:20 AM
RE: Murray Energy sues John Oliver
(22-06-2017 10:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  John Oliver, a giant squirrel and a defamation lawsuit by a coal industry titan

@ The Washington Post

“Last Week Tonight” host John Oliver knew he was inviting a legal battle when he used his show Sunday to lambaste one of the country’s largest coal mining companies and mock its chief executive.

In a 24-minute segment on the decline of the coal industry and President Trump’s tenuous promises to bring it back, Oliver railed against the mining giant Murray Energy Corporation and chief executive Robert E. Murray, who has blamed the industry’s troubles on an “evil agenda” by President Barack Obama.

Before he got going, Oliver offered up a proviso. “I’m going to need to be careful here,” he said, “because when we contacted Murray Energy for this piece, they sent us a letter instructing us to ‘cease and desist from any effort to defame, harass, or otherwise injure Mr. Murray or Murray Energy,’ and telling us that ‘failure to do so will result in immediate litigation.’”

Murray was a “geriatric Dr. Evil,” he said, who mistreated his employees and tried to weaken coal safety regulations through litigation. He suggested Murray was “on the same side as black lung” and criticized his response to a deadly 2007 mine accident in Utah found to have been caused by safety violations.

He called up a satirical article in the United Mine Workers of America’s journal that described a squirrel hopping onto Murray’s porch and telling him, “You should be operating your very own mines” (the company said this was not, in fact, a true story).

Finally, in a stunt fit only for late night television, Oliver brought out a man in a giant squirrel costume and paraded him around the stage.

“Bob Murray, I didn’t really plan for so much of this piece to be about you, but you kinda forced my hand on that one,” Oliver said. “And I know you’re probably going to sue me over this. But, you know what? I stand by everything I said.”

On Wednesday, Murray did sue Oliver for defamation, along with HBO and Time Warner.

Glad Oliver stood up to them! Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 5 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
22-06-2017, 12:32 PM
RE: Murray Energy sues John Oliver (Yes, that John Oliver)
The bitch of it is, anyone can sue. The costs can be crippling. But I think that time wiener and HBO have the necessary funds.
22-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Good for John Oliver, not being intimidated like that. And if anyone watches the video, this same coal company owner claimed that Akron, Ohio's newspaper cost him a billion dollars when they printed things that didn't praise him.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
22-06-2017, 05:25 PM
(22-06-2017 10:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  John Oliver, a giant squirrel and a defamation lawsuit by a coal industry titan

@ The Washington Post

That was funny as shit. Reminds me of how I felt when my boss was too much of a coward to fire me in person.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
22-06-2017, 05:31 PM
(22-06-2017 12:32 PM)Fireball Wrote:  The bitch of it is, anyone can sue. The costs can be crippling. But I think that time wiener and HBO have the necessary funds.

You know what, if everyone who accepts the same facts as Oliver pointed out in his package would take on the big guys along with them, it would be impossible to sue everyone. Safety in numbers.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
22-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Good. John didn't say anything that wasn't true and the best defense against defamation is facts.
If Cuntface Murray didn't want people saying he cost the lives of miners because he was lax on safety, he shouldn't have been lax on safety. If Cuntface Murray doesn't want people knowing he lobbies for lesser regulation in the mining industry, he shouldn't lobby for lobby for lesser regulation in the mining industry.
[+] 8 users Like earmuffs's post
22-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Not my John! I love him.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
22-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Full text of the filing is now up on SCRIBD. Didn't realize how many subsidiaries Murray Energy had in the area, but one is the Marshall County Coal Company, which basically answers my own question of "Why the circuit court in Marshall? That's not deep coal country."

Fun aside, Walmart only employs around 5,000 less people than coal companies do in my home state of West Virginia. There are only 15,000 coal jobs in the state if you ask the mine safety government site for the state.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
22-06-2017, 09:18 PM
(22-06-2017 07:30 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Full text of the filing is now up on SCRIBD. Didn't realize how many subsidiaries Murray Energy had in the area, but one is the Marshall County Coal Company, which basically answers my own question of "Why the circuit court in Marshall? That's not deep coal country."

Fun aside, Walmart only employs around 5,000 less people than coal companies do in my home state of West Virginia. There are only 15,000 coal jobs in the state if you ask the mine safety government site for the state.

Here's a copyright attorney giving a rundown of the entire filing. While defamation is not his forte, he is a lawyer (usually covering copyright cases involving video games or Youtube), and is rather gobsmacked by the whole thing. I actually managed to catch most of it while he was streaming live, and the live chat was a 'kiss my ass Bob!' parade.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post