Mushrooms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2017, 11:42 AM
RE: Mushrooms
I too love mushrooms, but I rarely do any cooking, so I don't have any advice along those lines. But among other things, a pizza isn't worth my attention unless it has mushrooms on it.

But maybe I will tell my mushroom story here. When I was much younger and quite innocent of the "drug culture", I happened to be in Madison, driving through the UW campus (with my windows down -- it was a warm day in early Autumn or late Spring), and some young women asked me if I knew where they could get some "shrooms". In all seriousness, I asked them "What are shrooms?" When they replied "mushrooms", I said (again, in all seriousness), "the grocery store?" I had no idea there was such a thing as psychedelic mushrooms. They probably thought I was being an asshole, but I was merely ignorant.

Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
31-03-2017, 11:50 AM
(31-03-2017 11:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  I love them. I can't think of a thing that doesn't get better with mushrooms.

My favorites are chanterelles. But the only way I can get them here is dried.

Since the texture here is just as important as the flavor, I just can't get happy with them.

Anyone have a good way to prepare dried mushrooms?

I usually throw them into stews or roasts (plump them first with warm water, chop them up and toss them in with the broth -- beef, bison, veal.. Ooooh rabbit too...rabbit stew served over polenta is my Man's all time favorite thing ever. The dried porcini mushrooms are amazing in it.

They usually add tons of flavor to the sauce it forms, but aren't ever pleasing to eat, their job is done and tossed out when the sauce is strained. I see dried mushrooms rather like a bay leaf.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-03-2017, 11:53 AM
I love grilled portobello burgers. So good!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
31-03-2017, 12:19 PM
For me, so-called field mushrooms (in Aus) are my favourite. Picked fresh on a warm spring day after an overnight rainfall. Just fried in butter au natural, with salt to bring out the juices—which forms an accompanying black gravy when reduced.

Delish. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
31-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Dried mushrooms I often use in Asian style soups. I'm looking forward to doing some more foraging in the coming months once the snow starts goes away. There's dense woods in every direction from our property up north and we've found enough varieties of edible mushrooms to keep us fully stocked all year. I'm surprised more people don't go out and take advantage of all the free food available, but not disappointed. More for me.

'Murican Canadian
31-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Sounds yummy.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2017, 02:22 PM
(31-03-2017 02:18 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Dried mushrooms I often use in Asian style soups. I'm looking forward to doing some more foraging in the coming months once the snow starts goes away. There's dense woods in every direction from our property up north and we've found enough varieties of edible mushrooms to keep us fully stocked all year. I'm surprised more people don't go out and take advantage of all the free food available, but not disappointed. More for me.

In this case, though, some of the free food will kill you. Those who can't tell which is which probably should not go there. And that would be me. I'll trust that the mushrooms I buy at the grocery store or in a restaurant are the right kind.
31-03-2017, 02:32 PM
(31-03-2017 02:22 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 02:18 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Dried mushrooms I often use in Asian style soups. I'm looking forward to doing some more foraging in the coming months once the snow starts goes away. There's dense woods in every direction from our property up north and we've found enough varieties of edible mushrooms to keep us fully stocked all year. I'm surprised more people don't go out and take advantage of all the free food available, but not disappointed. More for me.

In this case, though, some of the free food will kill you. Those who can't tell which is which probably should not go there. And that would be me. I'll trust that the mushrooms I buy at the grocery store or in a restaurant are the right kind.

Some kinds the local (self proclaimed) health food organic yuppie markets will pay good money for Big Grin Though I'm sure the regular stores have more consistent sources than nutcases like myself who walk in offering to sell.

'Murican Canadian
24-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Well I bought one of those mushroom farms in a box to see what gives. Cut the plastic as instructed, soaked it, and then sprayed it with water twice a day. The box said mushrooms would show after a week and then be grown to eat after another week. Within 4 days I saw baby oysters, within 7 days I was eating them. Yum. Then you turn the bag in the box and grow another crop on the opposite side. The thing cost 20 bucks - but I would have paid more than that for not so fresh ones in the store. I like the oysters, they have a bite similar to chanterelles.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-04-2017, 08:38 PM
I thought this was about to be a VERY different conversation. Especially with the opening statement, "I can't think of a thing that isn't better with mushrooms."
[+] 3 users Like Jedi Rainbow Dash's post