Music Industry Unveils New Piracy-Proof Format

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 02:39 PM
================================================

Music bosses have unveiled a revolutionary new recording format that they hope will help win the war
on illegal file sharing which is thought to be costing the industry millions of dollars in lost revenue.
Nicknamed the Record, the new format takes the form of a black, vinyl disc measuring 12 inches in
diameter, which must be played on a specially designed turntable.

"We can state with absolute certainty that no computer in the world can access the data on this disc,"
said spokesman Brett Campbell. "We are also confident that no-one is going to be able to produce pirate
copies in this format without going to a heck of a lot of trouble. This is without doubt the best anti-piracy
invention the music industry has ever seen." As part of the invention's rigorous testing process, the
designers gave some discs to a group of teenage computer experts who regularly use file swapping
software who admit to pirating music CDs.

Despite several days of trying, none of them were able to hack into the disc's code or access any of the
music files contained within it. "It's like, really big and stuff," said Doug Flamboise, one of the testers.
"I couldn't get it into any of my drives. I mean, what format is it? Is it, like, from France or something?"
In the new format, raw audio data in the form of music is encoded by physically etching grooves onto the
vinyl disc. The sound is thus translated into variations on the disc's surface in a process that industry
insiders are describing as completely revolutionary and stunningly clever.

To decode the data stored on the disc, the listener must use a special player which contains a stylus that
runs along the grooves on the record surface, reading the indentations and transforming the movements
back into audio that can be fed through loudspeakers. Even Shawn Fanning, the man who invented Napster,
admits the new format will make file swapping much more difficult. "I've never seen anything like this," he
told reporters. "How does it work?"

As rumours that a Taiwanese company has been secretly developing a 12 inch wide, turntable-driven,
stylus-based, hard-drive remain unconfirmed, it would appear that the music industry may, at last,
have found the pirate-proof format it has long been searching for....

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Quidsane's post
14-04-2012, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 05:50 PM by FSM_scot.)
RE: Music Industry Unveils New Piracy-Proof Format
[Image: 744pxpirateflagofrackrazs0.png]

Arrr Big Grin

How to pirate vinyl records

(I know its a joke)

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
14-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I support piracy 100%.

No point paying for anything with the industry the way it is now. Did you know that actor playing Dexter is getting 1mil per episode. Freaking ridiculous. No way am I subsidising that shit.

He's not even a great actor. I've seen other stuff he's been in and he acts the same. His personality just happens to uniquely suit that series.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
14-04-2012, 06:24 PM
(14-04-2012 06:00 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I support piracy 100%.

No point paying for anything with the industry the way it is now. Did you know that actor playing Dexter is getting 1mil per episode. Freaking ridiculous. No way am I subsidising that shit.

He's not even a great actor. I've seen other stuff he's been in and he acts the same. His personality just happens to uniquely suit that series.
I disagree 100%. The correct answer is to not partake, not to simply take. Theft is illegal and unethical.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-04-2012, 07:12 PM
(14-04-2012 06:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 06:00 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I support piracy 100%.

I disagree 100%. The correct answer is to not partake, not to simply take. Theft is illegal and unethical.

Gotta get with the times old man,. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
14-04-2012, 07:16 PM
We are godless, immoral, baby-eating atheists. We might as well get free music while we're at it!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
14-04-2012, 07:18 PM
(14-04-2012 07:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  We are godless, immoral, baby-eating atheists. We might as well get free music while we're at it!

I mean, just sayin'.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2012, 07:24 PM
(14-04-2012 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 07:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  We are godless, immoral, baby-eating atheists. We might as well get free music while we're at it!

I mean, just sayin'.
Thank the gods for the public library system and the ability to pirate beaucoup CDs!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
14-04-2012, 09:21 PM
The Russian teens of the cold war era used to tape (reel to reel) music from western radio and copy it to vinyl.

Home sewing is destroying the fashion industry.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
15-04-2012, 12:12 AM
(14-04-2012 06:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  I disagree 100%. The correct answer is to not partake, not to simply take. Theft is illegal and unethical.
Fine you can pay ridiculous prices for your entertainment. I actually wouldn't partake if I had to pay for it. It's information so it's not exactly the same as stealing. It's a bit different when it's just bytes that can be copy/pasted.

The media company giants need to wake up. The times have changed and they are there screaming at the tide. Remember what they said about VHS? and audio cassettes before that?

If I could download dexter episodes at a reasonable price eg $1 ad free I would consider it. Not worth considering as it stands now.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post