Music and the soul...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Music and the soul...
So I've been cooped up all day (thanks to a beautiful springtime snowfall and driving winds) hanging out with the fam damily, perusing the threads and listening to some tunes. I got to wondering about music, and our connection to it.

Almost all subjects dealing with the more abstract human tendencies have been examined, investigated and mulled over in science. Love, consciousness, etc. But I haven't to date run across a good theory as to why music is such a sacred entity to us.

I have to admit that if there ever was an argument for the existence of a soul that I would give some credence to, it's music. Even when I believed, I realize now that I never quite believed so strongly as those times when worship involved good music. There's something there that (forgive the terminology) is simply moving to the spirit.

So what are you're ideas? Love is easily connected to neurological and biological evolutionary systems, but where does music fit in to the picture? Why are we so enamored by it? What rational explanation is there?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2013, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2013 12:52 AM by evenheathen.)
RE: Music and the soul...
Idea No takers, well I've had a few drinks.....enjoy.

25-03-2013, 01:19 AM

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-03-2013, 01:29 AM
(25-03-2013 01:19 AM)bemore Wrote:  

Right on. I don't know that the mystery of music is supposed to be cracked.
25-03-2013, 01:35 AM
I think its a reflection of our emotions. If you put your "soul" into music then this can show, it goes beyond skill sets. Music is a way to express emotion that can sometimes be more successful than words.

Its a two way relationship Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Yep, you could say that music has a 'soul'. I think the same about paintings or pictures. It's more a matter of perception.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
25-03-2013, 01:35 PM
I suppose it is kind of the same as with other art. It's interesting to find that no matter where you go in the world, no matter how isolated a community of people are from any other society, you will find music in one form or another. I think that's a beautiful thing. Angel

From a more scientific view, I'm wondering exactly why that is. Perhaps it has to do with our tendencies toward pattern recognition? That and how communication evolved?

I don't know, maybe I'm trying to read too much into it. I was completely shit faced when I came up with the OP. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
25-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Well, I didn't study this but I guess it has evolved as a form of communication. And it seems that is still evolving nowadays. What makes me wonder is why musical tastes are so different - for example, I listen to electronic music (not that I don't listen to other genres) since I was very little, so it must be something genetic? Or it is my personality that makes me listen to this type of music? Is there any relationship between music and intelligence? I noticed that fans of a certain genre tend to follow the same thinking pattern. Consider

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes Chaos's post
25-03-2013, 02:26 PM
It's one language understood by all mankind. A good Siberian native musician can communicate with a Tasmanian musician ......through their music..
25-03-2013, 08:17 PM
(25-03-2013 02:20 PM)Chaos Wrote:  Well, I didn't study this but I guess it has evolved as a form of communication. And it seems that is still evolving nowadays. What makes me wonder is why musical tastes are so different - for example, I listen to electronic music (not that I don't listen to other genres) since I was very little, so it must be something genetic? Or it is my personality that makes me listen to this type of music? Is there any relationship between music and intelligence? I noticed that fans of a certain genre tend to follow the same thinking pattern. Consider
A relationship between music and intelligence...that's interesting. I have heard somewhere about a study done in which students who took tests while listening to Mozart (or someone like him, I can't remember for sure) generally scored better than those that didn't. So there is probably some correlation between music and brain function. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of average intelligence levels and their respective genres.

As for tastes, who knows where that comes from. My musical tastes have evolved quite a bit over the years, and you're right about fans sharing the same thinking patterns. But I wonder how much of that is just because the culture that produced the music is the same culture that loves it.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street