Music autobiographies and biographies.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Music autobiographies and biographies.
To begin, one of the most insightful autobiographies by a musician I have read was The Real Frank Zappa Book.

[Image: 39671.jpg]

Another was by legendary drummer of The Wrecking Crew, Earl Palmer. In it he tells of his early life as a vaudeville tap dancing child to then later playing with Fats Domino, Little Richard, Frank Sinatra, Buddy Rich, movies, TV and thousands more sessions and going on to create the famous "Rock Beat" so known and loved today.
It is a no holds barred account of The Wrecking Crew in action as they played on more hit records then The Beatles, The Stones, The beach boys etc together.

Highly recommended for music fans and not just drummers. Widely accepted as the most recorded musician in history.

Backbeat. The Earl Palmer story.

[Image: 2718599.jpg]

Of course there are many more, but I am interested to see what others have read.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
23-06-2016, 07:52 AM
RE: Music autobiographies and biographies.
On an autobiography, you never know whether the musician himself wrote it or a ghostwriter did. But I really liked Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace, which reads as if he wrote it himself, and is fascinating. There is also a second volume, Special Deluxe, which I haven't read yet.

Young is an interesting guy with a lot of good stories to tell.
24-06-2016, 05:24 AM
I've read a fair amount of them over the years. The latest was Neil Young's 'Waging Heavy Peace'... I enjoyed it and liked his unorthodox approach, although I think he went on about his Pure Tone thing a bit too much. Unlike a lot of these autos, he did talk a lot about his music, which I was glad about... Too many of them tend to focus on the sex and drugs, and not enough on the rock and roll.

I've still got Keith Richard's "Life" to start reading, which I've heard good things about.

I got about half way through "Hendrix: Setting the Record Straight", before giving up on it. A lot of research and detail went into that book, a bit too much in my opinion. Several chapters seem to talk endlessly about contracts and business, which I found very tedious. Maybe "Room Full of Mirrors" will be better.

Bob Dylan's "Chronicles: Volume 1" is well worth a read.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2016, 05:28 AM
Watched a documentary about Janis Joplin last night that is really good. (Netflix)

Janis: Little Girl Blue

A lot of interview and concert footage. Well done and a different perspective from what I had seen or read about her before.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Try to set the night on fire...

"Light My Fire" by Ray Manzarek

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
25-06-2016, 02:21 AM
Eric Clapton's autobiography was an eye opener.
25-06-2016, 02:27 AM
For jazz lovers, this is a great book.

[Image: w204.jpg]

Leader of the band.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post