Music seems to tap directly into my emotions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Music seems to tap directly into my emotions
I wonder...
does any of you have the same feeling...
Does anyone has some serious scientific explanation for it?

It is said that even animals seem to like music. Hello Darwin?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
24-04-2012, 02:48 PM
RE: Music seems to tap directly into my emotions
(24-04-2012 02:41 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder...

You're not crying over a Celine Dion album are you?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
24-04-2012, 03:03 PM
(24-04-2012 02:48 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 02:41 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder...

You're not crying over a Celine Dion album are you?
Damn Germanyt
You exposed my embarrassing secret.
Unsure

Hahah
no...
In a fit of melancholy I came across this...

Now I'm sobbing
I heard friends of mine confess something alike when hearing a certain piano-melody.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
24-04-2012, 03:05 PM
I have certain songs that when I hear them they trigger what I would call and emotional response. Some happy, some sad. Nutshell by Alice in Chains always seems to put me in a meditative state.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
24-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Nothing a good cord progression can't mess with. Your emotions I mean.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
24-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I understand but WHY?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
24-04-2012, 03:38 PM
We have built in meaning to different sounds in our brains, the sound of birds singing and our mother's voice means security, screams mean fear, silence mean expectation and so on. So sounds are like a natural language, music uses sound in different ways and that trigger different reactions in our minds, add to that the cultural modifications through thousands of years and then we have even more meanings to add to the natural ones, then we end up sobbing with a nice melody or getting scared with the music in a scary movie or get crazy with some rock song Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
24-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Music is one of the most important things in my life. Some music definitely evokes an emotional response. I think this may be why some churches use it.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
24-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Without digging out my psych books (and there's like 7 that could cover it, about 5600 pages and I don't recall which pages/books it was in) I recall some things about people are potenatially pre-programmed (as in brain develops) to certain sounds, may have sounds referenced to certain emotions due to frequency. Although I also recall that we aren't that good at detecting frequency given certain parameters (something about play one note, then increase the notes frequency, then play the original note, and people will swear the note is higher). And of course, environmental things come in as well--although there are some neat color-warnings too that are "instinctive" such as, would you try to touch a bee, or a butterfly?)

Anyway... when discussed in class, more of a "it's a neat thing" movies are referenced. To evoke certain moods, certain beats and sounds are used. Same for computer games. There's one game that the music creeps me out when playing one level (it's a haunted-spooky thing). Took me forever to even get through. I remembered psych principals, and restarted the level with the speakers off--I finished it in under 3 minutes (I was in almost 30 minutes+ plus before). Music played when the ghost-man with an axe appeared made me throw the mouse and then have to collect it and then I was terrified to look around because I didn't want to see him behind me--turned off the music and I was like "ohhh, scary man with an axe--here let me chase YOU". Without an emotional or auditory distraction, I was able to think clearer.

Although there are things like:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/...c-the-mind
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/music-matters
[+] 3 users Like elemts's post
24-04-2012, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2012 09:58 PM by Debzilla.)
Really interesting question. I liked the info in elemts' links above.
Went to pubmed to see what I could find, and what I came away with is that it is quite complex and certainly not fully understood. The processing of music is very much tied into the limbic (emotional) system of the brain, memory centers, as well as the reward center. Functional studies have shown the different areas of the brain that light up with liked vs. disliked music, and that we respond more to familiar music than to unfamiliar (probably why I love dance/club music, and just cant stand country given that I grew up outside NYC - no offense to folks that love their Willy Nelson). One article featured a person who had neurodegeneration of the brain, and could no longer describe music, but still had the emotional response. On top of all that, many of us (myself included) allow ourselves to really "experience" the music, and reinforce all those positive and intricate pathways.
Definitely highlights the complexity of our cognitive response to music.

Koelsch S, Fritz T, V Cramon DY, Müller K, Friederici AD. Investigating emotion with music: an fMRI study. Source Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and
Brain Sciences, Leipzig, Germany.

Pereira CS, Teixeira J, Figueiredo P, Xavier J, Castro SL,
Brattico E. Music and emotions in the brain: familiarity matters. Source:
Institute for Biomedical Sciences Abel Salazar
(ICBAS),

Trost W, Ethofer T, Zentner M, Vuilleumier P. Mapping Aesthetic Musical Emotions in the Brain.Source:
Laboratory of Behavioral Neurology and Imaging
of Cognition, Department of Neuroscience, Medical School, University of Geneva,
1211 Geneva, Switzerland

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 1 user Likes Debzilla's post