• 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2012, 11:34 AM
RE: Music seems to tap directly into my emotions
It's so interesting that it's not yet fully understood

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2012, 05:27 AM
It is because we are sacks of mostly water and shit vibrates. Of course I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong, but it's not really a question over here. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Man, the blues has a direct line to my emotions.

Ever since I heard a single note of the blues I was hooked.

[Image: opforum1.png]
26-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I think its a 50/50 relationship between the piece and the listener.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
26-04-2012, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2012 04:20 PM by Luminon.)
I recommend the book This Is Your Brain on Music by Daniel J. Levitin. If you skip the too much scientific parts, it answers many questions.
But look at this resource also, this is how sounds are hard-wired to our emotions:
http://www.gradfree.com/kevin/some_theor...l_keys.htm
I think my favorite key is D minor or some other minor key, the stuff that gives other people depression Smile

And this is some superb emotional stuff, I just love Dax's music when he gets his piano rolling like you hear later in the song. (arpeggio?)

And this is another lovable sad song by Dax, called Sleeping Sisera. Highly recommended.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
01-05-2012, 05:04 PM
(24-04-2012 07:32 PM)elemts Wrote:  Without digging out my psych books (and there's like 7 that could cover it, about 5600 pages and I don't recall which pages/books it was in) I recall some things about people are potenatially pre-programmed (as in brain develops) to certain sounds, may have sounds referenced to certain emotions due to frequency. Although I also recall that we aren't that good at detecting frequency given certain parameters (something about play one note, then increase the notes frequency, then play the original note, and people will swear the note is higher). And of course, environmental things come in as well--although there are some neat color-warnings too that are "instinctive" such as, would you try to touch a bee, or a butterfly?)

Anyway... when discussed in class, more of a "it's a neat thing" movies are referenced. To evoke certain moods, certain beats and sounds are used. Same for computer games. There's one game that the music creeps me out when playing one level (it's a haunted-spooky thing). Took me forever to even get through. I remembered psych principals, and restarted the level with the speakers off--I finished it in under 3 minutes (I was in almost 30 minutes+ plus before). Music played when the ghost-man with an axe appeared made me throw the mouse and then have to collect it and then I was terrified to look around because I didn't want to see him behind me--turned off the music and I was like "ohhh, scary man with an axe--here let me chase YOU". Without an emotional or auditory distraction, I was able to think clearer.

Although there are things like:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/...c-the-mind
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/music-matters
Fabricating evidence are we? Well, since no one can come up with a scientific explanation without having to make words up like "psychology" and "frequency", it is quite clear that God simply blesses certain forms of music.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
02-05-2012, 04:45 AM
What about beats??? Those things that get your foot tapping or your head nodding??? Sure I can appreciate vibrations and harmony to some degree (including bass) but how do beats fit in with that???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.