Musicians, what are you practicing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Musicians, what are you practicing?
Today I discovered my cuica muscle memory is shot completely after not being able to play it for over a year.

I am practicing alternating bars counting 8th notes high pitch and low pitch. When I get a consistent feel and tone I will move to 16ths, then alternating 1//4s 8ths and 16ths.

I was hoping to solo over music. Ha! Tricky instrument! Kicking my arse. One plays it by rubbing a wet rag up and down the stick inside while applying pressure to the head with the fingers on the other hand.

[Image: 1eb8afce-c13f-4e0f-89d9-99f84ef03d72_zpsk6hfjbc0.jpg]

What are you up to?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
14-09-2015, 08:44 PM
RE: Musicians, what are you practicing?
What? That's crazy. I've never heard of that instrument. It sounds like a laughing monkey Blink

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
14-09-2015, 08:45 PM
(14-09-2015 08:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Today I discovered my cuica muscle memory is shot completely after not being able to play it for over a year.

I am practicing alternating bars counting 8th notes high pitch and low pitch. When I get a consistent feel and tone I will move to 16ths, then alternating 1//4s 8ths and 16ths.

I was hoping to solo over music. Ha! Tricky instrument! Kicking my arse. One plays it by rubbing a wet rag up and down the stick inside while applying pressure to the head with the fingers on the other hand.

[Image: 1eb8afce-c13f-4e0f-89d9-99f84ef03d72_zpsk6hfjbc0.jpg]

What are you up to?

I'm currently overhauling equipment. I have just had my Marshall 6100 repaired and my Marshall 1978 MKII repaired. I am replacing worn bridge parts on my ibanez s series and have started writing again. Some friends and I are going to record an album next year. Just for kicks, so i'm just hammering away on my guitars every day to see if anything cool pops out! It's going OK Big Grin

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 3 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
14-09-2015, 09:11 PM
At the moment I'm focusing on some basic snare rudiments, because I'm preparing my students for "higher" band auditions. My skill, & mechanics, are pretty solid, but I just want to make sure they're polished for my pupils' observation.
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post
14-09-2015, 09:24 PM
(14-09-2015 08:44 PM)cactus Wrote:  What? That's crazy. I've never heard of that instrument. It sounds like a laughing monkey Blink

It was originally designed in Africa to hunt lions by mimicking monkey sounds. Well done!

I spent an hour on cuica and am now practicing bongos. I am using an album recorded to a click as my click and it allows me to rest in between songs and check the site.

My major problem as far as I can tell is a lack of strength caused by the cancer. My bongo playing sounds fine, but I am physically finding it tough. I will try to put an hour into it. Then I may play pandeiro for a while. If I still have strength I will try to put an hour into shakers and chekere.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
14-09-2015, 09:27 PM
(14-09-2015 09:11 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  At the moment I'm focusing on some basic snare rudiments, because I'm preparing my students for "higher" band auditions. My skill, & mechanics, are pretty solid, but I just want to make sure they're polished for my pupils' observation.

What rudiments are you working on? Are you using a specific book?

Banjo.
14-09-2015, 09:45 PM
(14-09-2015 09:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 09:11 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  At the moment I'm focusing on some basic snare rudiments, because I'm preparing my students for "higher" band auditions. My skill, & mechanics, are pretty solid, but I just want to make sure they're polished for my pupils' observation.

What rudiments are you working on? Are you using a specific book?

Their rudiments, & thus the ones I'm practicing (all in open-close-open) are:
Double stroke roll
Flam accent
Drag/ rough

The fourth is of their choosing, but a common choice is paradiddles- so I'm brushing up on those as well, until I know their choices (I have 6 auditioning).

I haven't resorted to it yet, because my pupils are middle school aged, but I like "the rudiment cookbook" a lot for rudiments. I find it useful for practical combinations of rudiments, & therefore excellent snare sight reading material.
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post
14-09-2015, 10:02 PM
I'm working up a fingerstyle-jazz version of this song, which I love dearly, for the open mic I play on Wednesdays:

[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-09-2015, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2015 01:19 AM by Banjo.)
The rudimental cookbook is great. You can't go wrong. And Master staudies and Stick control of course.

Good luck for Wednesday Thumpa.

My practice changed today radically.

Basically I am not as strong as I was before. The hour on cuica was hard, then I played bongos for about half an hour and got really down on myself. So I used skype to call my dear friend who owns a samba drum company and is a top sambista in the US. And I ended up having a samba lesson that lasted about 45 minutes and he took me right back to basics.

He had me just pick up the tamborim, the little drum, go slow and work on getting the correct swing accent on the 1 e & a.

[Image: 2011-10-20_11.36.53-1_zpsaomu7xqf.jpg]

I had gotten to the point where I was very hard on myself, making huge demands, you know? I just cannot play like I did. So I pulled out some instruments, pandeiro, rebolo, caixia, bongos and played for him. He sad "Man, you're playing beautifully. Everybody knows you're great. You have nothing to prove. But you have to go easy on yourself and remember you're sick.

After the lesson he talked to me about relaxation and just getting myself together and stop worrying so much. He said "If this band can't appreciate what you are, what you can offer, then fuck 'em!" Big Grin

He made me feel much better. He studied with a top Brasilian sambista, Chalo Eduardo, and has much to offer. I did too much today. I am tired and often we musicians just have to rest. But at least I got in a couple of hours serious practice. I concentrated on time and tone and feel. Nothing sloppy, although I did notice one note when playing bongos was off slightly on a 1/4 note. So that is one thing to fix. It happened during a bolero, which is slow.

So perhaps tomorrow I can continue and things will have improved. Smile

This business is not easy. My mate thinks I should forget teaching entirely and just get well. I don't know. Being a musician and working as a musician is all I am now.

Enough worry about practice. I am going to a cafe and get some lunch. It's freaking 4 pm! Smile

Good luck with your practice my friends.

Chalo Eduardo.

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
15-09-2015, 05:07 AM
Getting my voice back in shape and memorizing some songs for a vocal group audition in a couple of weeks.

Working on left hand position and articulation especially this week, plus getting some new ensemble music under my fingers. Working on bits of a Mozart serenade for a mini audition tonight, also on Bolcom's clarinet concerto. Still waiting for the conductor to get me the part for the concerto I'm going to be soloing on in May.

Ongoing technical practice (running through scales, etc.).