Musicians, what are you practicing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 06:24 AM
RE: Musicians, what are you practicing?
I've been jamming with a couple of mates for the last while. We've got a few new songs that are alomost complete. I'm working on vocals at the moment, and getting some lyrics together. Also have to change a few bass lines here and there. Dynamics are also an issue. Gotta find a way to stop the drummer from smoking too much of the funny stuff when jamming Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Marozz's post
15-09-2015, 07:13 AM
(15-09-2015 06:24 AM)Marozz Wrote:  I've been jamming with a couple of mates for the last while. We've got a few new songs that are alomost complete. I'm working on vocals at the moment, and getting some lyrics together. Also have to change a few bass lines here and there. Dynamics are also an issue. Gotta find a way to stop the drummer from smoking too much of the funny stuff when jamming Tongue

Get another drummer. Only straight drummers are worth your time. There's plenty.

I would never have even have one beer before or while playing. I keep a solid groove to support the other musicians. That is my job. Perhaps find an older drummer. But this idiot must go if you want to play better and have a solid beat.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-09-2015, 07:18 AM
On a lighter note. I practiced the entire Stick control book on my practice pad over two hours. Not a beat out of place with the click. Improved my feeling immensely. I had been extremely depressed after my morning and then samba tamborim lesson. The tamborim is the most basic instrument, but holds the key to sambas swing. Very humbling. Happily I got through it. Skype is amazing!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-09-2015, 07:18 AM
I'm a guitarist and singer. My trio has a gig in October, our first since officially parting ways with the other two guys who used to make it a quintet, lol. I'm basically practicing the 10-song setlist of my own material every chance I get. With an infant and a 4-year-old in the house, that's not as often as I'd like of course.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
15-09-2015, 09:34 AM
(15-09-2015 07:13 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 06:24 AM)Marozz Wrote:  

Get another drummer. Only straight drummers are worth your time. There's plenty.

I would never have even have one beer before or while playing. I keep a solid groove to support the other musicians. That is my job. Perhaps find an older drummer. But this idiot must go if you want to play better and have a solid beat.

Ah, he'll be fine. We'll have him drinking water till after practice Big Grin. I'm just glad I can still play the bass. Fucking arthritis in finger joints is pissing me off. Lucky enough the left hand is ok. Still, compared to what your going through, I can't complain.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
15-09-2015, 11:17 AM
(15-09-2015 12:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Good luck for Wednesday Thumpa.

Thanks, bud. Not sure I'll go this Wednesday. Even if I do, this song won't be ready by then, because getting the vocals right while playing harmony and walking a bassline as well is, to put it squarely, a bitch.

Glad your playing got a neat boost. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Marozz, good luck with the drummer. Is his time solid? I have worked as a percussionist with drummers whose time was wayward and it sucks searching for the One!

Playing will help stave off the arthritis. I too have arthritis but sticks keep my fingers nimble. Then I go and bash congas with my hands! Go figure. Confused

Thanks Thumpa.
Good luck with that piece. What is it called? I'll give it a listen.

I may not play anything today after yesterday's shambles. I might visit my mates at the drum shop though. I need to see some friendly faces. Smile

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
15-09-2015, 09:13 PM
It's called "I Only Have Eyes for You", a Fifties doo-wop number with some really nice chord changes that allow for nice jazz harmonization.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-09-2015, 09:19 PM
My saxophone is broken... I should really get to a guy to service that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
15-09-2015, 10:11 PM
You should!