Musicians, what are you practicing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 10:16 PM
RE: Musicians, what are you practicing?
(15-09-2015 10:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  You should!

It'd be easier if I was back in Kingston, 'cause I knew a great dude back there. Had the same name as me and everything! But out here the one possibility I've known is out in the valley, and that's a prohibitively far trip out, for a man without a car. All goes well I'll catch him on campus in the near future, and we'll see.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
15-09-2015, 10:28 PM
(15-09-2015 09:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  My saxophone is broken... I should really get to a guy to service that.

Sounds painful Tongue

I'm on a maintenance plan at the moment Confused I've learned maybe one new tune in the past two weeks - a reel called "The Quiet Man", although I just looked for it on youtube and the ones I can find there aren't the tune I'm playing... otherwise ye band is learning some pretty songs, but easy as mud.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-09-2015, 10:34 PM
(15-09-2015 09:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  My saxophone is broken... I should really get to a guy to service that.

Get into it. Smile

I know that song Thumpa. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-09-2015, 08:11 PM
I am practicing tambourine today. Trying to get it dead on the the click while swinging as well.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
18-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Well I took it pretty easy today. Over the course of about 3 hours I worked on tambourine, caxixi, cabasa, combinations of cabasa and caxixi. Maracas, pandeiro and a little shakers. All to a click. Getting it dead on. Going from straight 8ths to swung 8ths and back again, spreading them over 4 and 8 bars.

I took it very easily after last Tuesday's debacle. Which was foolish. I sounded crap on the cuica and then it was 1 note, 1 1/4 note off on the bongos that saw me become a complete mess. I am just not used to being out! Like I said my samba endorser told me I was great and being silly. But to be a fraction out....It was horrifying. That means I have dropped the pocket and let the musicians I am supposed to be supporting down.

I think sometimes we musicians need to understand we have good and bad days and not allow the bad days to ruin the following days. It is called "practice" for a reason. I simply cannot stand that my level has deteriorated so much over the past 13 months.

I am thinking tomorrow I will just practice drum rudiments on the trusty pad. Maybe do 10 hours or so. That'll make me feel better. I was going to buy a double pedal, because I have never liked taking my foot off the hi hat pedal. I love the hats so much. But it'd be good exercise.

So I spoke to # 1's students dad and told him I was going to buy a new Sakae pedal and he was like "Dale, you have enough equipment to start a drum shop. Taso has a spare double pedal. Just use that!" So I think I will. My teacher, Virgil Donati, recently wrote the definitive double kick book. Perhaps I will work through that.

And on Sunday I am teaching a frame drum class at home. $60.00 that will come in handy.

Don't forget to keep us up to date with what you are working on.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
19-09-2015, 10:57 PM
I just taught a 2 hour class. Originally it was just going to be an hour. It was a cool lesson. First we focussed on stamina playing 16ths to 8th note triplets at a certain tempo for ten minutes at a time using either one or both hands. Then we did an hour on brushes and 30 minutes on pandeiro. I showed him how to develop pandeiro rhythms to suit western pop music.

He's been with me around four years and has turned into a fine multi percussionist. Now he also wants to play drumset and of course timbales. So I am getting his technique together and his reading has really come along. We will soon complete the Louis Bellson reading in 4/4 time book.

(He originally rang to get djembe lessons but got me instead. Now he plays every damned thing!)

It was nice to have a visitor as well. Smile

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
07-10-2015, 02:58 PM
just my voice. Doing some scales and exercise, and an oldie now and again for fun.
07-10-2015, 03:13 PM
This is what I'm working on right now. Since Kotzen has been known to have made the switch from "picking with a pick" to finger picking, (which I do NOT do well) I am working on hybrid picking the solo out. It is a cool feel...a rock song with a country-ized solo. One of the reasons I have a major man crush on this guy! He's an unbelievable guitarist and singer. I can't figure out why he isn't a universe superstar.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
07-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Nothing! My bass just sits there mocking me.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
07-10-2015, 11:41 PM
I am currently charting out a set for my new band. Lots of stops and starts.

Banjo.