Musings of a Deconverting Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2015, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2015 03:10 PM by Octapulse.)
Musings of a Deconverting Mind
Since the existence of god cannot be proven or disproven just as the creation of the universe cannot be proven, the existence of Jesus must therefore be proven in order to give Christianity any further thought, as the bible claims that Jesus was god. The evidence prsented for the existence of Jesus is erroneous and calls for blind faith. If god did in fact exist, he would be an immoral god evidenced by his murder of countless innocent babies in the old testament. Christians will argue that god was different then, which is complete bullshit because the bible states that god is the same yesterday, today and forever. Some calvanists will go so far as to say that we humans have no right to gripe about what our creator does with us just as a hammer has no rebuttal towards the one that weilds it. This argument is flawed in that hammers cannot feel pain nor do they have emotions. Furthermore, this view of god reduces him to the level of a snotty nosed kid kneeling in front of an ant hill with a magnifying glass on a hot summer day. Not at all like the god of love painted by those who love Kool-aid.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Octapulse's post
25-07-2015, 03:17 PM
RE: Musings of a Deconverting Mind
Octapulse - When I get that "no right to gripe about what our Creator does to us" argument (it's not just limited to Calvinists), I reply that even if such a barbaric, despicable God as the Bible describes could be proven to exist, I would acknowledge its existence yet choose not to worship it. Indeed, I defy any such horrible, immoral being.

I enjoyed only one book of Anne Rice's, Memnoch the Devil, which presented Satan in a much more (to me) comprehensible light than the bizarre caricature the Christian tradition holds for him. Esssentially the Devil was a loyal angel who loved humanity, and tried arguing in our defense against the privations of God, lawyer-style, and was cast down for it.

Don't say I agree with any of that; it's a myth, but it's a much better myth than the Christian version, and it certainly gives food for thought. I had never before then considered the idea of just how ridiculous the notion of Satan as the foil for All Things Evil really was, in Christian mythology. I am of course leaving out huge chunks of the story description for brevity's sake.

I also like what Thomas Jefferson had to say about it, in a letter to his nephew:
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-07-2015, 03:35 PM
You're making good points. It's so hard for people who have been raised Christian--like me--to read the Bible without our Stockholm syndrome getting in the way. Eventually, you start to notice the discrepancies between the character God's account of his motives--love and care towards his creations--and God's actions, which bring death, pain, disease, and destruction to millions of beings, not just sinful man. Old Testament God loses his temper, admits to the sin of jealousy towards other gods, and even gives "Sorry we had a fight" presents, including the rainbow and all of those wives, kids, and animals Job gets after his first set are killed. (of course, the original wives, kids, cattle, and such are still dead, sucks to be them)

Some Christian apologists try to make about every story in the Bible allegorical, but the basic message about the deity is the same: he's by far the nastiest character in the book. Definitely not a being worthy of worship.

He would be a fun character to read about, if only so many people didn't take him seriously and use him to justify so many horrible acts.
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
25-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Julep - Well said. I'll stick with Darth Vader as my favorite mythological tyrant. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Darth Vader is great, but I find Cthulu a bit more foreboding
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
25-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Any honest person would have to look at the god of the bible and realize that it resembles an ancient tyrant king. There's really nothing that sets this god apart from a petty, narcissistic psychopath. Which describes a lot of kings back then, they merely patterned their god after very flawed earthly rulers.

The direction of inspiration in the bible is clear, it comes from the flawed mortals that created it, there is nothing transcendent or particularly clever about it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
25-07-2015, 08:12 PM
(25-07-2015 03:05 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  If god did in fact exist, he would be an immoral god evidenced by his murder of countless innocent babies in the old testament.
What is moral?
Who decides what is moral?
Why is it immoral for God to kill babies? Please, explain.
(25-07-2015 03:05 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  Christians will argue that god was different then, which is complete bullshit because the bible states that god is the same yesterday, today and forever.

True. God was not different then.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
25-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Is it moral or immoral to take away a child/children from his/their parents?

25-07-2015, 08:18 PM
(25-07-2015 08:12 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 03:05 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  If god did in fact exist, he would be an immoral god evidenced by his murder of countless innocent babies in the old testament.
What is moral?

Please explain why you think it is moral for god to kill babies.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
25-07-2015, 08:42 PM
(25-07-2015 08:18 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 08:12 PM)Alla Wrote:  What is moral?

Please explain why you think it is moral for god to kill babies.
I didn't say I think this.
Not yet.