Musings on life's big question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Musings on life's big question
I use to chew on the big "Why" questions a lot.
Why are we here, what is my purpose,...

I can imagine everyone has these questions, and everyone fills them in according to their own needs.

The last days I took a different approach.
I asked the why question on the why question...
Why on earth do people ask themselves these why questions?
Out of philosophical interest? Sure. But that answer is just more inclined toward semantics then a real solution. The next logical question would be, why are people interested in philosophical thoughts anyway.

I came to the following hypothesis:
As a member of a social living species, I have to be aware of my position in the group. Translated to humans: "I have to know my place inside society". Now if you think further about that, the leap towards, "I have to know my place inside the big picture" is not so much further away. This leads me to the conclusion that those big "why" questions are mere a byproduct of humans as a social species.

That doesn't really answer the "why" but it does put the question in a whole other perspective where a hypothetical, solitary living, but thinking creature could consider this question a whole lot more mundane then us. Quite a sobering thought.

What are your thoughts about this?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2011, 03:57 PM
RE: Musings on life's big question
Quote:Why on earth do people ask themselves these why questions?

Exactly my take on these questions, why ask questions that will never get a indefintly exact answer. Im not refering to questions that science can answer but do not have resources yet.

Although i gues it depends on the person, some people may think its fun to ask questions like these?

And you can leave out the people who ask them to feel intelligent although people who do stuff just to prove intelligence really do pee me off.
31-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Why do humans want their lives to have 'purpose' and 'meaning'? Nobody else does: the other species are busy living; content if they can avoid hunger and pain, happy if they get to reproduce and relax in the sun. Most of the time, that's exactly what we're doing, too, if you peel off the unnecessary complications. Once in a while, the pesky little philosopher trapped in a dank, windowless chamber of our brain, kicks up a fuss and demands to be fed. So we try to come up with something more tasty than 42.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
31-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I ask myself because I am curious. However I also know that no answer would ever satisfy me.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2011, 06:35 PM
(31-07-2011 03:50 PM)The_observer Wrote:  I use to chew on the big "Why" questions a lot. Why are we here, what is my purpose,... This leads me to the conclusion that those big "why" questions are mere a byproduct of humans as a social species.

They're a byproduct, an unforeseen unanticipated side effect, of the evolution of consciousness. ... Or maybe not. Smile

This is not my signature.
02-08-2011, 05:48 AM
I agree with you, Observer.

I don't think our lives intrinsically have meaning, life it's self is meaningless and random.

Yet due to us being conscious and aware, it doesn't have to be. There is meaning in our lives because we assign meaning to it.

I think humans ponder this 'why' because as you stated; we are a social species and we need to know our place in our group.

To me, my life has value and meaning because I want it to. My reasons are many but I'm quite sure people share a lot of the same answers...

1. I value my life.
2. I value the relationships in my life
3. I get joy out of something in my life.

These are the things that gives our life meaning, and it's a conscious decision that we make. To me, my life has meaning because my life is important to others and myself.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I ask myself am I real or is this a dream?
and how did God came to be? Was there Mama God who popped him out after having sex with Zeus?

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
02-08-2011, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2011 08:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-08-2011 06:35 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I ask myself am I real or is this a dream?

Who doesn't? ... Well, maybe not at your age, but you're precocious.

02-08-2011, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2011 09:05 PM by tazmin98.)
(02-08-2011 08:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-08-2011 06:35 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I ask myself am I real or is this a dream?

ThanksBig Grin

But had some weird dreams and out of body experinces

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
02-08-2011, 09:32 PM
(02-08-2011 08:35 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  
(02-08-2011 08:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

ThanksBig Grin

But had some weird dreams and out of body experinces

Who hasn't? ... Well, maybe not at your age ...