Musings on the Future of Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Musings on the Future of Gun Control
So as many of you are aware I'm rather big fan of both Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy. I've been painting and playing both games for over a decade now and I really enjoy both settings.
This afternoon I had a conversation with my brother, who is also an avid fan, about the future of Games Workshop the company that designs and sells the miniatures the main topic of conversation being what the hell GW is going to do when 3D printers become dirt cheap, as good as GW's own production methods, and common place.

What we were saying is that once everyone can print out an army for a 10th of the cost, the same quality, and do it with nothing but a household 3D printer and an internet connection their ENTIRE business model collapses. What do they do? Do they just die off taking their IP with them? Do they stop selling models and just start selling hard coded 3D files themselves? They are about to find themselves in a really interesting position.

And that brings me to the point I wanna talk about namely: Ghost Guns. Now if you are not familiar with Ghosts guns they are basically guns you build yourself, they have no serial numbers, they are impossible to track, you can build one if you have a criminal record and there is no way at all to know how many there are, and you can do it in your basement so you never need to go to a dealer. It's also really really easy and cheap to do. Have a look at this short piece from Wired.

So what interests me is kinda the same thing that interested me about the Warhammer stuff: What happens to gun manufacturing companies when anyone can print out the components of a guy with just an advanced 3D printer and an internet connection? Do they shutter their stores, do they start selling 3D files and just using profits for R&D? It's kinda interesting to me.

More importantly though if say in 10 years any person can print out a fully functioning gun that can't be tracked or traced how does that affect gun control as most people talk about it when you don't' need to go to a dealer and you can just make one in an afternoon in your living room and there is no way for the government to know you even have one?

What do you guys think about the future of gun control in an America with 3D printed guns? Is it just a losing proposition int he long run? Will gun control still be a major political platform in 10 years when the ability to enforce it just vanishes?

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
28-07-2017, 09:34 PM
RE: Musings on the Future of Gun Control
Many of the AKs we came across overseas were knockoffs probably made in some Pakistani gunsmith's basement or something with a lot less technology than this guy was using.

With or without 3d printing, if there is a demand for it, it will be produced and sold. Sure makes it easier, though.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
28-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Being that printed guns will be using plastic for heat- and stress-critical items, I'm not sure they'll be terribly useful. A plastic soft enough for a 3-D printer to carve is probably not going to be able to withstand the rigors of much firing.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-07-2017, 10:42 PM
(28-07-2017 09:10 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  ...
What happens ... when anyone can print out the components of a guy with just an advanced 3D printer and an internet connection?

I think this is something that Nurse and Jenny might be able to answer.

Unsure

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-07-2017, 10:57 PM
Ever try to photocopy money?

Not really the same.

Also printer (3D or otherwise) connected to the internet...NOT untraceable.

Just a new step in the evolution of crime & crime investigation.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
29-07-2017, 12:05 AM
I think possibly some legal requirement that the 3D file signature be stored by the printer in an indelible way (possibly transmitted over the internet to the manufacturer and stored there, it's only 256 bytes), will make sure that every 3D file that's printed will be traceable. Only a few people can possibly make these 3D gun files, it must require a lot of technical knowledge. Therefore I expect that the gun files will be few in number and law enforcement will be able to track them. It might even make it easier to detect. If you know in advance the file signature of the file that will be used to print, then all you do is search the database for instances of that file signature - voila, instant list of gun owners. Certain to make the NRA scream.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
29-07-2017, 12:07 AM
(28-07-2017 10:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Being that printed guns will be using plastic for heat- and stress-critical items, I'm not sure they'll be terribly useful. A plastic soft enough for a 3-D printer to carve is probably not going to be able to withstand the rigors of much firing.

I've watched a guy build an AR-15 lower receiver out of thicker reinforced platic and metal bolts and it fired surprisingly well after a bit of tinkering. Was interesting, to say the least.

[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
29-07-2017, 12:11 AM
(28-07-2017 10:57 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Ever try to photocopy money?

Not really the same.

Also printer (3D or otherwise) connected to the internet...NOT untraceable.

Just a new step in the evolution of crime & crime investigation.

Printers not untraceable no....but what you can make with it is really hard to. I remember after 9/11 or some other attack some yahoo published bomb making guides online and got taken to court over it. In the end they ruled that ya that's covered by the First Amendment.

When you don't need to buy a gun background checks are as good as useless, so it's interesting to me.

29-07-2017, 12:18 AM
(29-07-2017 12:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think possibly some legal requirement that the 3D file signature be stored by the printer in an indelible way (possibly transmitted over the internet to the manufacturer and stored there, it's only 256 bytes), will make sure that every 3D file that's printed will be traceable.
I dunno people have been using home construction to get around gun laws for decades I'm pretty sure they would be just as willing to use untagged 3D files to get around those laws and those will take a quick tor search to find. You can already find them actually, there are dozens of files online already so that cats already outta the bag imo.

(29-07-2017 12:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  Only a few people can possibly make these 3D gun files, it must require a lot of technical knowledge.
It's actually surprisingly easy, mostly just 3D scanning the individual parts and I can do that with an app on my phone. Really any 3D artist will do.

(29-07-2017 12:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  Certain to make the NRA scream.

haha what doesn't? Laugh out load

Honestly, my opinion is I really wouldn't be surprised if there is no real substantive gun control debate in 10-15 years. The day a Republican Congressmen can take to the House floor and print a gun in 30 minutes any notion of controlling the ownership of guns is dead. That's just me though.

29-07-2017, 12:32 AM
(29-07-2017 12:18 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 12:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think possibly some legal requirement that the 3D file signature be stored by the printer in an indelible way (possibly transmitted over the internet to the manufacturer and stored there, it's only 256 bytes), will make sure that every 3D file that's printed will be traceable.
I dunno people have been using home construction to get around gun laws for decades I'm pretty sure they would be just as willing to use untagged 3D files to get around those laws and those will take a quick tor search to find. You can already find them actually, there are dozens of files online already so that cats already outta the bag imo.

A file signature is calculated. Meaning that it can't be faked or the file untagged. All that's required is that the 3D printer itself has a reasonably tamper-proof system to ensure that the file signature is transmitted.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post